MERGED --> Bono Should Be Ashamed + More ranting from Robertson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chavez, in Cuba to attend the graduation of Cuban-trained doctors from 28 countries, was seen off at the airport by Cuban President Fidel Castro. Washington has accused the two leaders of being a destabilizing influence in South America.

Say whatever you like about the Cuban government, but I think this is an absolutely amazing policy.

sulawesigirl4 said:
*edited to add that there are a lot of Cuban doctors who do really great work here in Mali. Guess not everything that comes out of Cuba is automatically eeeevil. :p

:up: I have a friend who worked on a conservation project in South America (I think it was Bolivia, but I couldn't be completely sure) who told me that almost all the doctors in the community she lived in had been trained in Cuba. As I just said in my last post, I think this is an incredibly admirable policy and it's a shame it's so often ignored by people who want to paint Cuba as the epitome of evil.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Interesting twist....

Chavez Offers Cheap Gas to Poor in U.S.
By David Pace
Reuters

HAVANA, Cuba - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, popular with the poor at home, offered on Tuesday to help needy Americans with cheap supplies of gasoline.

We want to sell gasoline and heating fuel directly to poor communities in the United States," the populist leader told reporters at the end of a visit to Communist-run Cuba.

Chavez did not say how Venezuela would go about providing gasoline to poor communities. Venezuelan state oil company PDVSA owns Citgo, which has 14,000 gas stations in the United States.

The offer may sound attractive to Americans feeling pinched by soaring prices at the pump but not to the U.S. government, which sees Chavez as a left-wing troublemaker in Latin America.

Gasoline is cheaper than mineral water in oil-producing Venezuela, where consumers can fill their tanks for less than $2. Average gas prices have risen to $2.61 a gallon in the United States, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Chavez said Venezuela could supply gasoline to Americans at half the price they now pay if intermediaries who "speculated ... and exploited consumers" were cut out.

Venezuela supplies Cuba with generously financed oil and plans to help Caribbean nations foot their oil bills.

Chavez, in Cuba to attend the graduation of Cuban-trained doctors from 28 countries, was seen off at the airport by Cuban President Fidel Castro. Washington has accused the two leaders of being a destabilizing influence in South America.

Chavez and Castro offered to give poor Americans free health care and train doctors free of charge

*edited to add that there are a lot of Cuban doctors who do really great work here in Mali. Guess not everything that comes out of Cuba is automatically eeeevil. :p

Wow.

Thats guy´s cooler than I imagined :up: :cool:

Very good move. And with PDVSA owning Citgo he also has the possibility of making it real.

I´m interested to hear what Americans have to say to that..

Quite a clever response. It is largely grandstanding of course but two can play at that game.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Wow.

Thats guy´s cooler than I imagined :up: :cool:

Very good move. And with PDVSA owning Citgo he also has the possibility of making it real.

I´m interested to hear what Americans have to say to that..

Chavez knows how to play politics well.

As for actually seeing cheaper gas (we have a Citgo down the street from us), I'll let you know when the price hits $2/gallon.

nbcrusader said:

Chavez knows how to play politics well.

As for actually seeing cheaper gas (we have a Citgo down the street from us), I'll let you know when the price hits $2/gallon.

Agreed, actually he knows that very well. And he plays with much more style than a certain religious "nut" from the U.S., one might add. Truly, I also think it is a very Christian response to not reply with more hate, but the contrary: wanting to helping the poor Americans. Maybe that has to do with the fact that over 90% of Venezuelans are Catholics.

All of us and especially US diplomacy should be delighted with his response.

nbcrusader said:
If Chavez delivers. Otherwise, his statement is no better than the G8's promise of condition free debt relief.

Do I see a little sparkle of respect glowing in your eyes for this man Chavez, nbcrusader? No, you don´t have to nod. Let´s keep it secret :D

By the way, how did you like my post about judicial terms? I thought it was a brilliant point about the nuances of calling people nuts.

US evangelist apologizes for Chavez remarks

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson apologized on Wednesday for calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, saying he spoke in frustration earlier in the week.

"Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

Sounds like he realize he had foot-in-mouth disease....

By the way, how did you like my post about judicial terms? I thought it was a brilliant point about the nuances of calling people nuts.

I don't favor "not guilty by reason of insanity" pleas. Guilty and insane works just fine.

nbcrusader said:
Sounds like he realize he had foot-in-mouth disease....

That's just not good enough, IMO. We shouldn't be so quick to forget that Robertson called for the assassination of a foreign leader. It's not as though he mis-spoke or was mis-quoted, he quite blatantly advocated assassination. He shouldn't be granted instant forgiveness and political rehabilitation just because he's realised his comments were incendiary and is trying to distance himself from them.

nbcrusader said:

I don't favor "not guilty by reason of insanity" pleas. Guilty and insane works just fine.

But the legal practice is another one. Insane means no death row, and insanity is used to defend -not to prosecute.

Do you agree that calling a criminal insane is the job of the defending party, not the job of the prosecutor in most of the cases?

FizzingWhizzbees said:

That's just not good enough, IMO. We shouldn't be so quick to forget that Robertson called for the assassination of a foreign leader. It's not as though he mis-spoke or was mis-quoted, he quite blatantly advocated assassination. He shouldn't be granted instant forgiveness and political rehabilitation just because he's realised his comments were incendiary and is trying to distance himself from them.

The Venezuelan authorities say the same, according to the above article by Reuters: "This public call to assassinate a head of state, considered a crime by all modern legislation, is prosecutable by its very nature. That is what the civilized world is expecting of U.S. authorities," the Venezuelan government said on Wednesday.

If someone calls for the assassination of a head of state, they shouldn't just be allowed to walk away from it. It shouldn't be legal anywhere. I'm not a lawyer but they should penalize the guy somehow.

The Venezuelan authorities say the same, according to the above article by Reuters: "This public call to assassinate a head of state, considered a crime by all modern legislation, is prosecutable by its very nature. That is what the civilized world is expecting of U.S. authorities," the Venezuelan government said on Wednesday.

Well, since you have cornered the market on true Christianity :wink: how should a Christian respond to Robertson's apology?

I still don't get why it's Bono's responsibility to distance himself or kick this guy off the ONE campaign. For those that think that, I'm hoping you expect the same from Orlando Bloom, Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, Al Pachino, etc, etc and the 42 partner organizations.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I still don't get why it's Bono's responsibility to distance himself or kick this guy off the ONE campaign. For those that think that, I'm hoping you expect the same from Orlando Bloom, Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, Al Pachino, etc, etc and the 42 partner organizations.

Agreed, if Bono criticizes the comments by Robertson, I would say good, but really I don't see that he has any responsibility to do so. No one in their right mind thinks Bono holds the same opinions as Robertson.

I would have preferred an Assassination of Saddam verses what has occured over the last two years.

nbcrusader said:

Well, since you have cornered the market on true Christianity :wink: how should a Christian respond to Robertson's apology?

Since I am not the Venezuelan officials who will have to base their decision on the politics involved,

and as a Christian, if you ask me personally/ spiritually,

I hope that God fogives Robertson that he was speaking about a breach of the 6th commandment, and I am confident God loves Robertson just as much as me.

Since I am not the Venezuelan officials who will have to base their decision on the politics involved,

I hope that God fogives Robertson that he was speaking about a breach of the 6th commandment, and I am confident God loves Robertson just as much as me.

:applaud:

Does that including forgiving as God forgives us?

nbcrusader said:

Does that including forgiving as God forgives us?

Sounds like a new thread topic....

It is a good conversation to have, but this thread may not be the place.

nbcrusader said:
I know that as well.

But some would argue that I'm not a true follower of Christ, so, I ask.

Sadly, I know that, and though we probably do not see eye to eye on everything religion wise, I consider use brothers.

financeguy said:

Agreed, if Bono criticizes the comments by Robertson, I would say good, but really I don't see that he has any responsibility to do so. No one in their right mind thinks Bono holds the same opinions as Robertson.

Exactly. If it's Bono's responsiblity solely because he's part of the ONE campaign, than I guess that responsbility extends to any and all of us wearing white wrist bands....and that's just dumb.

Back
Top Bottom