MERGED --> Bono Should Be Ashamed + More ranting from Robertson - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:13 AM
deported to where? guantanamo?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

The other side of the coin is that foreign nationals are generally given less leeway,

Ooooh melon just before you said he should not be prosecuted. And now, suddenly, there is another side of the coin? So you want to say

Robertson has the right to advocate an assassination
The KKK has the right to burn crosses
NeoNazis have the right to party on the streets with Svastikas

-but the poor foreign nationals are not allowed free speech?

Gimme a break. If that´s true, that´s pure racism.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Foreign nationals have fewer rights than citizens, and this can be said of every country. If you are spouting anti-government rhetoric in a guest nation--no matter where it is--you are apt to be deported. Period.

Pat Robertson, as U.S. born citizen, cannot be deported, you see, so we have to tolerate him more than, say, someone we can just ship back to their home country.

Melon

Old 08-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Foreign nationals have fewer rights than citizens, and this can be said of every country. If you are spouting anti-government rhetoric in a guest nation--no matter where it is--you are apt to be deported. Period.

Pat Robertson, as U.S. born citizen, cannot be deported, you see, so we have to tolerate him more than, say, someone we can just ship back to their home country.

Melon
This ain´t anti-government rhetoric since R. ain´t part of the government. Or did you want to say anti-friendsofthegovernment-rhetorics?

Shipping people around.. you must have learned that from the English in times of transatlantic slave trade.

melon: are you the opinion foreign nationals should have the same right (on free speech) like the Americans or are you comfortable with the situation like it is?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
melon: are you the opinion foreign nationals should have the same right (on free speech) like the Americans or are you comfortable with the situation like it is?
Whatever I believe is of no consequence. The chances of me ever having political power are rather nil at this point. I'm merely stating what has happened here in the past. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened.

Just to let you know, the UK has ratcheted up deportations of foreign nationals that spout too much hate speech themselves.

Melon
Old 08-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Whatever I believe is of no consequence. The chances of me ever having political power are rather nil at this point. I'm merely stating what has happened here in the past. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened.

Just to let you know, the UK has ratcheted up deportations of foreign nationals that spout too much hate speech themselves.

Melon
yeah, but I am interested in your opinion, that´s why I ask for it!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
yeah, but I am interested in your opinion, that´s why I ask for it!
I'll say it's a tough call.

For instance, if we have a bunch of Islamic radicals who immigrated here and were advocating "Death to America," it's convenient having deportation as an option to dispose of these potentially dangerous people. After all, if they don't like it here, why did they move here in the first place?

There are no easy answers, and I know we're dealing with cultural differences here too. Europe has a much tougher attitude towards hate speech than the U.S. does, and people like Pat Robertson would probably end up in court if they said that in Europe.

Melon
Old 08-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

and what if American terrorists threaten the American homeland?

Quote:
Europe has a much tougher attitude towards hate speech than the U.S. does, and people like Pat Robertson would probably end up in court if they said that in Europe.

Melon
Right.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #173
Refugee

Local Time: 01:13 AM
But like all things, I think it's relative. I'm sure an ethnic Algerian-Frenchman would have a much easier time going to jail for hate speech against whites than if it were the reverse. When people have the book thrown at them for speaking ill of Muslims..anyone...then I'll know it's for real.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:

No, I´m not a premium member. Thats why it is very polite to reply right here.

So you reject Robertson´s statements, that´s good to know.

Next question: Since you say you reject them, can one suppose

A) you don´t think the Christian Coalition of America* is a good and righteous representation for Christians (conservative, liberal, evangelists, Catholics, wherever one stands in the wide spectrum)?

Or

B) do you reject the comments of Robertson in that specific case and would rather think that generally, the Christian Coalition of America is an organization that represents the Bible´s righteous teachings?

*the organization of Robertson, which is described as being the "largest and most active conservative grassroots political organization in America" on its website
Thank you for waiting until I returned from vacation for a reply.

As for your questions, I can honestly say I am unfamiliar with the positions of the Christian Coalition of America. It may come as a surprise to many, but I don't look to conservative, Christian or conservative Christian organizations for my news/editorial opinions.

Given that, I would not say that the Christian Coalition of America is a good representation of Christianity. So, for the instant case, I would say Robertsons political comments was nonsensical and foolish.

I would point out that his comment was not a religious one, in that there was no "Jesus wants Chavez killed" or any other such nonsense. From my perspective, Robertson is a politician, and not a very good one at that.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I would point out that his comment was not a religious one, in that there was no "Jesus wants Chavez killed" or any other such nonsense. From my perspective, Robertson is a politician, and not a very good one at that.
You do realize this was on the Christian Broadcast Network

where they recieve tax exempt status as a
religious organization
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Given that, I would not say that the Christian Coalition of America is a good representation of Christianity.
As a Christian, I feel relieved that we do agree on this.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

You do realize this was on the Christian Broadcast Network

where they recieve tax exempt status as a
religious organization
Perhaps the exempt status should be reviewed again.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

of course they should

but, we all know it will never happen

and they're pretty busy right now going after the NAACP
Old 09-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #179
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:

I would point out that his comment was not a religious one, in that there was no "Jesus wants Chavez killed" or any other such nonsense. From my perspective, Robertson is a politician, and not a very good one at that. [/B]
WB, NBC! Hope you had a nice vacation!

I have one issue to raise with the statement above. I totally agree that Robertson's aims have everything to do with power politics and all to do with the gospel. But we can't overlook that he makes his political claims in the name of our Lord. We absolutely MUST speak up against it.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:13 PM
Just going to agree with Sherry here-yes, 'tis good to see you around again, nbcrusader . Also hope all went well with your vacation .

Angela