MERGED: Assault Weapons - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 10:06 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
It seems to me that the rights of a small group of responsible people are being valued more than the lives of many.
Interesting point when you consider that 1,370,000 abortions occur annually in the U.S.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #77
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:58 PM
nbcrusader
So.. tell me... you are against abortion and pro assault weapons?
(Btw. 1,370,000 abortions dosn't mean "only" 2,740,000 parents who were pro abortion in the US - but don't turn this thread into an abortiton thread)

Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #78
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
It seems to me that the rights of a small group of responsible people are being valued more than the lives of many.
Wouldn't that be catering to special interests?

President Bush on National Security, August 14, 2002
Quote:
We're making progress, but the Senate now needs to take up the idea. And the concern is that they will be more concerned about their own political turf and jurisdictional turf than they will be the larger concept of protecting the American people. They'll be more concerned about special interests and less concerned about how to adequately protect America.
Remarks at a luncheon, November 10, 2003
Quote:
There's a lot of needless politics in the Nation's Capital. We're focused on the people's business. You sent us to Washington to work on behalf of the people, not special interests, not lobbyists, but the people. And that's what we're doing. (Applause.)
Too bad that the majority of Americans are in favor of extending the restrictions:
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycent...s_09-06_pr.pdf
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0910/p01s01-uspo.html
Old 09-13-2004, 10:23 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Also, if we ban automobiles, we effectively reduce traffic accidents.
I bet automobile manufacturers would be the first to complain about a lack of cause and effect relationship.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:26 AM   #80
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way

The difference between Automobiles and Assault Weapons is:
Everyone here can explain why it's not only fun to drive but necessary for daily life.
I'd understand it if Iraq would legalize Assault Weapons so that their Civilists can self-defend against various attacks but...
...i think that there's not so much violence in the US so that there is a NEED for Assault Weapons (or do we use Assault Weapons for hunting?)

Let's face it if you take a look how usefull Assault Weapons are for the US citizens and compare it to the danger, Assault Weapons make a pretty bad shape compared to cars
Old 09-13-2004, 10:34 AM   #81
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

But automobiles were not designed specifically to kill. You can't dispute an automatic machine gun's true purpose.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:36 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What are you talking about BAW, assault weapons are obviously designed to "collect".
Old 09-13-2004, 10:45 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
But automobiles were not designed specifically to kill. You can't dispute an automatic machine gun's true purpose.
You could argue that all guns are "designed" to kill. We can still have them. I'm not sure this creates an adequate distinction for purposes of banning.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Maybe not but it most countries it is a reason for a firm legislation.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
nbcrusader
So.. tell me... you are against abortion and pro assault weapons?
(Btw. 1,370,000 abortions dosn't mean "only" 2,740,000 parents who were pro abortion in the US - but don't turn this thread into an abortiton thread)
Actually, I've never said I was pro-assault weapons. I am simply questioning the basis on which we make the decision to ban. The principle behind the arguments break down.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

The difference between Automobiles and Assault Weapons is:
Everyone here can explain why it's not only fun to drive but necessary for daily life.
I'd understand it if Iraq would legalize Assault Weapons so that their Civilists can self-defend against various attacks but...
...i think that there's not so much violence in the US so that there is a NEED for Assault Weapons (or do we use Assault Weapons for hunting?)

Let's face it if you take a look how usefull Assault Weapons are for the US citizens and compare it to the danger, Assault Weapons make a pretty bad shape compared to cars
Funny, we lived quite successfully before we invented automobiles, so necessity is questionable.

Instead of regulating and enforcing lawful and unlawful use, we throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I am suggesting that we create a principle on regulating things that can be used to harm others. Banning items on an item by item basis violates the concept of liberty.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:19 AM   #87
Refugee

nbcrusader
Well i don't think that the banning of Nuclear- or Biological weapons for households violates the concept of liberty.
I think that the personal liberty has to be restricted where it harms many other and has no use for society in general.

Also while i see attemts to make a car safer (even for the persons who aren't inside the car) weapons are designed to kill and Assault weapons are pretty effective.

Our society would simply colapse if there was a "car Ban" for a few years. Economy would definetly colapse.
Did anything close to this hapen when the Assault Weapons were banned for years? - no

So this might be one reason why there isn't a national outcry when hundreds of people are killed by car accidents. But of course there will be an outcry when the next amok-run will be done with a highly effective Heckler & Koch 36 to pump 750 rounds per minute into a schoolyard.
Why? - Because it was preventible

The only reason i can see that stuff like that is sold is valuing profit over human lifes
Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Auto deaths were over 17,000 in the US in 2002. Auto related injuries were around 3 million. But that's not the point.

There was never a right to own nuclear or biological weapons. So, we didn't have a right to own some precursor to them, and technology advanced.

It would be hard to argue that the 2nd amendment right only applies to flintlock or other such period weapons.

Another issue - should rights be created or limited based on public outcry? Does might (many voices) make right?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #89
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Okay, what could someone do with an assault weapon besides kill someone or frame it behind glass to look at it?

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:40 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Okay, what could someone do with an assault weapon besides kill someone or frame it behind glass to look at it?
Use it on a firing range. I've done it (a long time ago). It was fun. It would be like any other endorphine-inducing activity.

Am I a bad person?