MERGED: Assault Weapons - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 05:50 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 PM
I don't think Bowling For Columbine is representative of the viewpoint/mindset/characteristics of all Americans..anyway, I grew up around guns (used for hunting purposes) but have never fired one or owned one, and never wanted to. I'm morally opposed to hunting, and lucky enough to live in an area where it is relatively safe. Of course in this day and age no place really is..I have been tempted to want a gun for personal protection, but would use mace or pepper spray before a gun. I wouldn't judge anyone who feels the need to have a gun for that purpose, as long as it is safely used and stored.

But I just will never see the point of the avg citizen needing or wanting an Uzi or Tec 9 or whatever else for legal purposes..seems to me those are for/are used for criminal dangerous purposes.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:06 AM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:02 AM
I think in all fairness the danger is from illegal weapons as opposed to legal gun ownership. If there is suitiable regulation over who can obtain said weapons then it shouldn't be an issue. If a terrorist really wants an automatic machine gun then they will buy one or more illegally rather than waste their time going through the background checks required to purchase one legally.

Of course you could just enact some sort of zero tollerance policy and remove pisols from the streets but that just isn't on the cards now is it?

Old 09-13-2004, 06:49 AM   #63
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:02 AM
A_Wanderer
The more Assault Weapons are out on the streets the easier it is to get one - not just for me and you but also for people who want to harm us (for example Terrorists).
Old 09-13-2004, 07:39 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
NBC, I don't think your argument holds water here. I mean, I collect postcards. Do I need, let's say, the 307th postcard in my collection? No, certainly not. But could the 307th postcard spray someone--intruder or innocent person--with hundreds of bullets and give them an incredibly painful and gruesome death?

Believe me, I'm not all that into gun control--I like the Bill of Rights, even the 2nd Amendment. I see nothing wrong with a law-abiding citizen having a couple of guns for target shooting, hunting, or self-defense. I personally don't have a gun and am not interested in owning one, but I support people's rights to use, store, and own guns safely.

These assault weapons, however, have zero purpose beyond killing people. It's not like you could take your AK-47 down to the target range. There is no reason for any ordinary person to have one in his or her home when a simple pistol or rifle would suffice for the aforementioned purposes.
Pax,

You are mixing arguments here.

If we want to regulate things that could harm others, let us set a principled standard for this. And lets consider all things that can harm others.

We have a right to own guns. Some, as their hobby, may want to own an AK-47 and be fully able to use it safely. To you, an AK-47 may have no purpose but for killing people. To others, there may be simple pleasure in firing this type of weapon. Are we judging their choice of hobby?

If the problem is criminal use of guns, why don't we address that issue.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:10 AM   #65
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Well i like to collect WMDs - just for fun - why does my Government not allow me to do this?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 AM   #66
BAW
The Flower

Old 09-13-2004, 08:33 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Well i like to collect WMDs - just for fun - why does my Government not allow me to do this?
Is it a protected right in your Constitution?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:45 AM   #68
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I don't think our forefathers had AK-47's in mind when they gave us the right to bear ams.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #69
Refugee

Quote:

I didn't know you were a big ACLU supporter.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:04 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Since 1994, the assault weapons ban has taken the deadliest military- style weapons off our streets, dramatically cutting their use in crimes by 66 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Justice, and reducing the murder rates of police officers and the public.
This looks like an important piece of information don't you think?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I don't think our forefathers had AK-47's in mind when they gave us the right to bear ams.
This argument can apply to many issues. It does not invalidate a constitutional right or invalidate rights applied to new situations.

I don't own a gun. It has been 20 years since I've fired a gun (including what would be considered an assault weapon). And if the assault weapons ban is extended, I don't care.

It is easy to vilify the gun owner. Pass judgment on them as some back-woods simpleton who isn't smart enough for "proper" hobbies.

I think we would want laws that are crafted to address problems. And we should enforce those laws.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:32 AM   #72
Refugee

Quote:
I think we would want laws that are crafted to address problems. And we should enforce those laws.
Exactly and if you remember MrsSpringsteens posting
Quote:
Since 1994, the assault weapons ban has taken the deadliest military- style weapons off our streets, dramatically cutting their use in crimes by 66 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Justice, and reducing the murder rates of police officers and the public.
It sucessfully addressed the crime problem.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:36 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Logic also suggests that it's easier to illegally obtain legal weapons than illegal weapons. You can just knick them from the store instead of having to make deals with shady arms dealers.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:51 AM   #74
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 PM
It seems to me that the rights of a small group of responsible people are being valued more than the lives of many.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:03 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
It sucessfully addressed the crime problem.
Careful. The cause and effect relationship may not be there.

Also, if we ban automobiles, we effectively reduce traffic accidents.