MERGED: Assault Weapons - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 07:17 AM
Explain please nbc..

Old 09-11-2004, 04:30 AM   #32
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

If Kerry could be 2 people, I'm sure he would have.
I just want to go on record in saying that I think my comment here is quite silly. It was more of a childish retort to nbc turning a critisism and concern regarding Bush letting this ban expire without much effort into a negative to Kerry.

I have no idea what Kerry would have done if he wasn't campaigning right now. I'm not sure what he would have done.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:49 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 PM
I guess that we have an answer on that one.
Quote:
Washington -- Sen. John Kerry charged Friday that President Bush was helping terrorists and caving in to the National Rifle Association by not pushing to extend the 10-year-old federal assault weapons ban that expires at 12:01 a.m. Monday.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGO68N6P91.DTL

It's so good that the political discourse this year is not based on ridiculous arguments and petty attacks on character
Old 09-11-2004, 08:43 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
Explain please nbc..
With separation of powers, the members of congress control the legislative agenda, not the executive branch. Bush cannot call for a vote, only express an opinion. Back in the 80's, when Reagan would push for a bill, the Congress would laugh and tell him it was their job.

Kerry would do A LOT if he simply when to the floor to call for a vote or take ANY action to move the bill.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #35
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:17 AM
He tried to have a bill introduced sponsored by him and several other to introduce a vote. He can co-sponsor without being there and then being there for the vote. Frist won't allow it to make it to the floor. In fact I e-mailed him a couple of weeks ago and got a return saying the majority of Americans want it to die. (a f lie - 80% for renewal).

ps sorry for the harshness, but he makes me sick. He's a doctor for Gods- sake. I was so mad I trashed it or I would scan it.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

With separation of powers, the members of congress control the legislative agenda, not the executive branch. Bush cannot call for a vote, only express an opinion. Back in the 80's, when Reagan would push for a bill, the Congress would laugh and tell him it was their job.

Kerry would do A LOT if he simply when to the floor to call for a vote or take ANY action to move the bill.
"A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one, must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough."

I think Bush should lead the Republicans to do the right thing here.

From everything I've read thus far - this is something that needs to be pushed through by Republicans. Kerry is saying publically that he wants the ban renewed - which could cost him votes.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #37
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Less than 12 hours now...

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:55 AM   #38
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 12:17 PM
NBC:

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Quote:
I just see a difference between the Assault Weapons Ban and the Patriot Act, maybee the Assault Weapons Ban has a huge impact on terrorism (who needs these weapons?) but it seems like the neither the Republicans nor the Democrats really care about it
Old 09-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #39
BAW
The Flower

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/0...cle_237119.php

Quote:

As the clock counts down on the decade- old ban on selling and buying guns labeled by the federal government as assault weapons, phones have begun ringing off the hook at ArmaLite. Customers want to know when the newly outfitted AR-15 rifle will be ready.

"People are excited. They've been waiting for this for a long time, and we've been preparing," said Jodi DePorter, a spokeswoman for the Geneseo, Ill.-based gun maker.

ArmaLite plans to ship newly outfitted guns just hours after the ban expires to customers who were so eager to get the .308- and .223-caliber military-style semiautomatic rifles that they've pre-ordered them.

Gun manufacturers are gearing up for a wave of businessonce the ban sunsets. They're offering promotional coupons online for extras such as free flash suppressers and boxes of 15-round magazines.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Can someone explain to me...

...WHY someone would want/need an assault weapon? Don't give me that "to defend my family" crap, you can use a simple handgun, and, you know what? The police! Just someone please explain the want/need for those guns.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:41 PM   #41
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 12:17 PM
a) amok run
b) terrorist strikes
c) killing policemen?
Old 09-12-2004, 05:03 PM   #42
BAW
The Flower

Its beyond me. What in the world is an average joe going to do with one? I also wonder why more than just a handful of states don't have their own bans.

It really blows me away that people are already going nuts to get them.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I live in a country that has very few guns and very few shootings.

Denmark is a country that has the highest gun ownership ratio but still very few shootings.

Why do people in the USA want assault weapons? To shoot each other with. At least thats how it looks from here.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #44
Acrobat

I too will never understand this, it just tells me that there are people out there that will justify the need or right of anything to the themselves.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
It's scary that people are already itching to get their hands on these things. I don't see the need for them, I honestly don't. Are people really that anxious to start shooting?