MERGED: Assault Weapons - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2004, 08:20 AM   #196
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Exactly. Not to kill people. People misuse guns the same way they misuse knives, bats, cars, alcohol, etc.
Can you it to cut foot, play baseball, transport, or to drink?

Guns were designed for one thing and thing only, to kill. They serve no other day to day function. The amonunt of lives saved vs. murders by guns in everyday citizens doesn't even come close to comparison. Unless you allowed people to carry guns on their hip they never will. Someone breaks into your house they have the advantage they already have gun in hand, you have to wake up, unlock case, load gun...by that time your dead.

So what does it come down to, like Flying said freedom. Freedom is something we take very seriously here in the states as we should, but many freedoms have been taken away for the good of the majority.

It comes down to what's more important saving lives or your freedom to own enough guns to arm a small militia with assault rifles.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 AM
I wonder how many rounds are fired a day for target practice as part of someone's hobby. I'd say it would be a substantial majority. Followed by hunting. Followed by criminal use.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #198
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I wonder how many rounds are fired a day for target practice as part of someone's hobby. I'd say it would be a substantial majority. Followed by hunting. Followed by criminal use.
First of all I'm not for banning hunting weapons, like I said I don't think there's a lot of crime being done with single bolt hunting rifles.

Target practice, ok what is the point of this hobby? Is it to make you a better shooter so when you have an attacker and you happen to have an assault rifle in your hand? Or pure entertainment? If people are going to argue the entertainment value then one thing is you don't need an assault rifle to do so, secondly they have modified guns to which you can shoot at targets using laser and no bullets. You save on ammo and you don't have something that can mow down several humans in seconds.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:55 AM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Target practice, ok what is the point of this hobby? Is it to make you a better shooter so when you have an attacker and you happen to have an assault rifle in your hand? Or pure entertainment? If people are going to argue the entertainment value then one thing is you don't need an assault rifle to do so, secondly they have modified guns to which you can shoot at targets using laser and no bullets. You save on ammo and you don't have something that can mow down several humans in seconds.
Shooting has been in the Olympics for decades, making it an internationally recognized sport.

The assault rifle ban is based on emotion, not logic. As has been discussed above, they are no more dangerous as guns than other guns.

Why pass judgment on one's shooting hobby? Should we ban all activities if the instruments of such activities can be misused?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #200
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Lots of people engage in target shooting, clay pigeons, et al. who are decent and law-abiding people. I agree that I don't think it's fair to demonize people who enjoy a (more or less) completely harmless hobby.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #201
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Shooting has been in the Olympics for decades, making it an internationally recognized sport.

The assault rifle ban is based on emotion, not logic. As has been discussed above, they are no more dangerous as guns than other guns.

Why pass judgment on one's shooting hobby? Should we ban all activities if the instruments of such activities can be misused?
Then if it's purely for sport then why not use other methods such as the laser target system. Or if they must use live rounds then leave the guns stored at the range. Yes kayaking can kill, yes even bow and arrows can kill, but when was the last time some deliberately used a kayak to kill, or walk into a bank with a concealed bow and arrow? I'm not judging there hobby, I'm judging the tool. The tool was designed for one purpose and one purpose only. The musket was designed to kill animal or human, not for entertainment.

Excuse me, all guns are equal? Please. You can't even compare a single bolt rifle that holds only 4 rounds to a gun that holds 30+.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 AM   #202
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Then if it's purely for sport then why not use other methods such as the laser target system. Or if they must use live rounds then leave the guns stored at the range. Yes kayaking can kill, yes even bow and arrows can kill, but when was the last time some deliberately used a kayak to kill, or walk into a bank with a concealed bow and arrow? I'm not judging there hobby, I'm judging the tool. The tool was designed for one purpose and one purpose only. The musket was designed to kill animal or human, not for entertainment.

Excuse me, all guns are equal? Please. You can't even compare a single bolt rifle that holds only 4 rounds to a gun that holds 30+.
To be honest, could one say laser target systems and live rounds as being the same... People who shoot have mentioned the adrenalin and feel of shooting is fun...

Again, its also about collecting things... Some people here think that assault rifles are scary looking but there are others who think they "look" dang cool and like to collect stuff. Thats why some gunowners want to own stuff... why do we buy movies, cds, books, etc.... the issue of ownership. We like to own them and do with them as we want... I'm not saying dvds= guns (just in case someone tries to make that point against me) but rather pointing out why people want to own guns rather than just have a shooting range to just shoot and leave stuff.

Also, its about protection. I know several families who work in the inner city/ really poor neigborhoods for a living running grocery stores, alcohol shops, etc... guns have provided a deterrent and have protected people from armed robbery.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #203
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

To be honest, could one say laser target systems and live rounds as being the same... People who shoot have mentioned the adrenalin and feel of shooting is fun...

Again, its also about collecting things... Some people here think that assault rifles are scary looking but there are others who think they "look" dang cool and like to collect stuff. Thats why some gunowners want to own stuff... why do we buy movies, cds, books, etc.... the issue of ownership. We like to own them and do with them as we want... I'm not saying dvds= guns (just in case someone tries to make that point against me) but rather pointing out why people want to own guns rather than just have a shooting range to just shoot and leave stuff.

Also, its about protection. I know several families who work in the inner city/ really poor neigborhoods for a living running grocery stores, alcohol shops, etc... guns have provided a deterrent and have protected people from armed robbery.
I think tanks are cool, can I collect them?

Once again the protection factor really doesn't work as far as numbers. The number of people who saved lives and took lives don't even come close.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #204
New Yorker

Again, alcohol related deaths are much greater than death by guns (and thats not taking into consideration self defense and illegal guns). I think, anti-gun people should try to ban alcohol before they come back and try to ban guns.

Seriously, I can't say I fully understand the mind of a gunowner (and I'm sure I'm setting this next point up for a joke/ biting commentary) but I'm sure gunowners would probably argue that a guns don't just kill, but it relieves stress, is a sport, etc...

Its been mentioned that guns purpose is to kill. Hey, the Iron Giant says no to that premise...
Old 09-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #205
New Yorker

I thought hummers were tanks...
Old 09-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #206
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Again, alcohol related deaths are much greater than death by guns (and thats not taking into consideration self defense and illegal guns). I think, anti-gun people should try to ban alcohol before they come back and try to ban guns.
Well we're going in circles so I'll probably bow out soon here, but you're still making an unfair analogy.

Alcohol was not invented to kill. Alcohol can be used responsibly with it's true intent and no harm done.

The #1 intent for guns is to kill. Sport and collecting came later. If you want to argue the right to the sport and collectors than modify the sports and only allow certain guns to be collected.

The second ammendment did not have sport or collecting in mind.