MERGED: Assault Weapons - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

You don't have the right to free access any more than I have the right to completely free speech. I think that the laws regarding the limitation of freedom of speech were made using the risk/benefit analysis I mentioned earlier. Otherwise why limit speech at all?
Actually, the ability to restrict free speech is very difficult, especially for the general area of political speech. Strict scutiny is much more than a risk/benefit analysis.

For example, flag burning as a form of speech is potentially dangerous with, for sake of argument, questionable benefit (there are safer ways to express the same idea). Under a risk/benefit analysis, you might decide that flag burning regulations are rational.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #137
Refugee

Possibly. That's a good example of where a risk/benefit analysis might fail. What sort of restrictions do you think should be placed on weapons ownership, if any?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #138
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
This raises an interesting question: if one must take a test to drive a car, but not to own a gun, why the inconsistency? Should there be a licensing test for guns? (I would not be opposed to this.)
Very good question.

Even with his police training and knowlege of firearms, my husband still had to test at the firing range every few years to keep his CCW permit and retirement ID.

If retired police officers have to take a test to carry a city issued gun permit, why shouldn't the average citizen?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Possibly. That's a good example of where a risk/benefit analysis might fail. What sort of restrictions do you think should be placed on weapons ownership, if any?
I personally would be fine with registration, a gun safety course, trigger locks or other safe storage requirements.

It would be nice to individually identify each gun, have them registered and require owners to report lost, stolen or missing guns. Add an extra offense if a crime is committed with a gun that is not registered to you. Perhaps we could expand the Patriot Act in this area.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 PM   #140
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Very good question.

Even with his police training and knowlege of firearms, my husband still had to test at the firing range every few years to keep his CCW permit and retirement ID.

If retired police officers have to take a test to carry a city issued gun permit, why shouldn't the average citizen?
I am confus-ed. Is a gun license essentially like a fishing license in that it does not require any testing, just the exchange of money?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

I believe so - essentially a way to (i) collect revenue and (ii) put a name to a gun.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:34 PM   #142
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I personally would be fine with registration, a gun safety course, trigger locks or other safe storage requirements.

It would be nice to individually identify each gun, have them registered and require owners to report lost, stolen or missing guns. Add an extra offense if a crime is committed with a gun that is not registered to you. Perhaps we could expand the Patriot Act in this area.
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Unfortunately it's so reasonable that it would never happen. At least not with the influence that the NRA has over the federal government.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #143
Refugee

Quote:
I believe so - essentially a way to (i) collect revenue and (ii) put a name to a gun.
Wow, imagine if that was how the DMV worked.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:40 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Wow, imagine if that was how the DMV worked.
Well, it's not like the DMV test is a real challenge.....
Old 09-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #145
Refugee

Quote:

Well, it's not like the DMV test is a real challenge.....
True, but I remember taking a class that lasted several weeks, taking the written test, then taking a few driving lessons before the test at the DMV. It was more than just signing my name and giving them a check. If we're going to test people to drive a car it would seem natural that we should test them to use a gun.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #146
BAW
The Flower

Quote:

I am confus-ed. Is a gun license essentially like a fishing license in that it does not require any testing, just the exchange of money?
I'm not quite sure how other states do it, but I *think* California requires a minimal background check and some sort of waiting period, along with the fee.

As for any kind of testing, I don't believe that its required.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #147
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:09 PM
I looked up a few things about gun permits etc earlier. Some states do require a Handgun Safety Course before one can get a license to carry a handgun. I looked up a few and some require hefty fees along with the course, while my state requires no class and a $5 fee. But then I live about 30 miles from a town that requires all citizens to have a loaded gun in their homes.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 09-14-2004, 04:00 PM   #148
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

It would be better if there was a federally mandated gun course before any state could give a gun license. At least it's something.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:09 AM
It must be noted that these automatic weapons are still only single shot at a time deals. There is no unloading a full clip of ammunition like Rambo. It is point and shoot, point and shoot. Also most gun violence is commited with handguns, now handguns have no real purpose other than killing, rifles even Automatic ones have applications but handguns, not so much.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #150
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

On a side note, no jokes about DMV tests--I didn't get my driver's license until a couple of months ago (I'm 21), and I sweated and cursed the whole way through the test.

Join Amnesty.