MERGED --> Are You in Favor or Against a Smokefree City? + Smoking Bans: For or Again - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 07-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Are You in Favor or Against a Smokefree City?

There is a lot of movement here in D.C. to have a 'smokefree' city, which includes completely banning smoking in workplaces, restaurants and bars. As a non-smoker, I think it would be great but would like to form a better-rounded opinion and get thoughts from smokers and people that leave in 'smokefree' cities...

Here are some facts about DC:

Washington DC's Current Law on Smoking in Public Places
The District has what is likely the nation's weakest protections for workers from secondhand smoke. Under District law, it is legal to smoke in most workplaces, including private office buildings, day care centers, health care facilities and even hospitals.

Health care facilities
The operator of the health care facility, including a hospital, may designate smoking areas. Smoking is prohibited only in the public areas of health care facilities, including hallways, waiting rooms and lobbies. Patients can even smoke in bed if the facility permits.

Day care centers
Smoking is permitted in areas of private day care centers designated for smoking by the operator of the facility.

Government buildings
The federal government prohibits smoking in all of its buildings. In contrast, the District of Columbia government expressly prohibits smoking only in its government public assembly rooms. Smoking is permitted in areas of DC government buildings that can be separated from other areas by a physical barrier.

Private offices
People may smoke in private, non-governmental offices if the employer notifies employees of the smoking policy. All employers must adopt and maintain a written smoking policy that provides for a designated area where smoking is permitted. Employers are supposed to minimize the smoke with physical barriers (i.e, separate rooms) and ventilation systems, although these frequently prove ineffective in practice.

In restaurants that seat more than 50 people and were built before 1988, only 25 percent of the seats must be designated non-smoking. In restaurants that seat more than 50 people that were built or renovated after 1988, 50 percent of the seats must be non-smoking. There are no regulations for restaurants seating less than 50 people. Nightclubs are specifically exempt from these regulations.

Bars are not addressed separately in DC code. Bar and lounge seating in restaurants is excluded from the seat count when calculating how much restaurant space must be designated non-smoking.

Where is smoking prohibited?
Smoking is prohibited in schools, elevators (except those in single-family dwellings), Metro trains and buses. Smoking is also prohibited in retail stores (except for tobacco shops).

Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:25 PM

One thing I miss when I leave So Cal is the practically smoke free environment. It is certainly noticable when there is a smoker in the area.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:25 PM

its better to make the cities car-free
Old 07-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Boston is smokefree and it's faaaaaaaaaantastic

The best part of being smokefree is that after I go out, I don't have to shower to avoid having my bed smelling like I've got a 2 pack a day habit.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
War Child
Local Time: 08:25 PM
I approve it.

I am a smoker, and when they declared NYC smoke free I was furious. I thought it would be a terrible thing because it took away my rights and blah blah

But now, and even after a couple of months, I find that I don't smoke as much when I go out, and the air is 100000x cleaner and fresher. So much better. In fact, I was hanging out in Philadelphia not too long ago, and you can still smoke in bars there. When I did this, and I gotta say, I found no pleasure in it. I hated it actually, because I smelled like a dirty ashtrash when I went back to the Hotel.

Keep in mind that I AM a smoker...
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
love, blood, life
Going smoke-free is better all around for everyone.

It IS the funniest thing to be on a street that just has one bar after another, in a smoke-free city...when I was in Binghamton, NY last year, one street near Broome County Arena is pretty much all sports bars, and each one had a little knot of peope outside it, smoking in the cold.
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:18 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
In favour.

Toronto's gone smoke free and it's fantastic.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
War Child
Local Time: 08:25 PM
Minneapolis is smoke free. Seems to be a good thing.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:25 PM
In favor of.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Originally posted by nbcrusader

One thing I miss when I leave So Cal is the practically smoke free environment. It is certainly noticable when there is a smoker in the area.
Agree When I travel I'm taken back when I smell it, especially in a restaurant, gross.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #11
love, blood, life
I think it's good for one reason. When someone smokes in public, it doesn't just affect the smoker. No, instead, their smoke spreads everywhere, and not only does it possibly cause cancer, but some people are genuinely allergic to it.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:25 PM

my city is smoke free too, and i love it.

when i went out before they switched to smoke free, my hangovers were mostly from smoke inhilation rather than alcohol consumption.

smoking in restaurants is disgusting no matter how you look at it.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
i think it's good for people who work inside restaurants and bars -- they shouldn't be forced to breathe 2nd hand smoke that might have disasterous consequences in the future.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:25 PM

Smoke free
Old 07-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Personally I cant stand the smell of it, I think im allergic. Whenever it comes across my nose it feels like my entire head has just closed up and my throat stops working
When I smoked, I had to stand in the wind because I couldnt stand smelling the shite that came off it.
I love not having to smell cigarette smoke in buildings, personally.
we should make everybody convert to clove cigarettes. They smell fabulous