MERGED --> Are You in Favor or Against a Smokefree City? + Smoking Bans: For or Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Are You in Favor or Against a Smokefree City?

There is a lot of movement here in D.C. to have a 'smokefree' city, which includes completely banning smoking in workplaces, restaurants and bars. As a non-smoker, I think it would be great but would like to form a better-rounded opinion and get thoughts from smokers and people that leave in 'smokefree' cities...

Here are some facts about DC:

Washington DC's Current Law on Smoking in Public Places
The District has what is likely the nation's weakest protections for workers from secondhand smoke. Under District law, it is legal to smoke in most workplaces, including private office buildings, day care centers, health care facilities and even hospitals.

Health care facilities
The operator of the health care facility, including a hospital, may designate smoking areas. Smoking is prohibited only in the public areas of health care facilities, including hallways, waiting rooms and lobbies. Patients can even smoke in bed if the facility permits.

Day care centers
Smoking is permitted in areas of private day care centers designated for smoking by the operator of the facility.

Government buildings
The federal government prohibits smoking in all of its buildings. In contrast, the District of Columbia government expressly prohibits smoking only in its government public assembly rooms. Smoking is permitted in areas of DC government buildings that can be separated from other areas by a physical barrier.

Private offices
People may smoke in private, non-governmental offices if the employer notifies employees of the smoking policy. All employers must adopt and maintain a written smoking policy that provides for a designated area where smoking is permitted. Employers are supposed to minimize the smoke with physical barriers (i.e, separate rooms) and ventilation systems, although these frequently prove ineffective in practice.

Restaurants
In restaurants that seat more than 50 people and were built before 1988, only 25 percent of the seats must be designated non-smoking. In restaurants that seat more than 50 people that were built or renovated after 1988, 50 percent of the seats must be non-smoking. There are no regulations for restaurants seating less than 50 people. Nightclubs are specifically exempt from these regulations.

Bars
Bars are not addressed separately in DC code. Bar and lounge seating in restaurants is excluded from the seat count when calculating how much restaurant space must be designated non-smoking.

Where is smoking prohibited?
Smoking is prohibited in schools, elevators (except those in single-family dwellings), Metro trains and buses. Smoking is also prohibited in retail stores (except for tobacco shops).

Thoughts?

:up: for!

One thing I miss when I leave So Cal is the practically smoke free environment. It is certainly noticable when there is a smoker in the area.

Boston is smokefree and it's faaaaaaaaaantastic :yes:

The best part of being smokefree is that after I go out, I don't have to shower to avoid having my bed smelling like I've got a 2 pack a day habit.

I approve it.

I am a smoker, and when they declared NYC smoke free I was furious. I thought it would be a terrible thing because it took away my rights and blah blah

But now, and even after a couple of months, I find that I don't smoke as much when I go out, and the air is 100000x cleaner and fresher. So much better. In fact, I was hanging out in Philadelphia not too long ago, and you can still smoke in bars there. When I did this, and I gotta say, I found no pleasure in it. I hated it actually, because I smelled like a dirty ashtrash when I went back to the Hotel.

Keep in mind that I AM a smoker...

Going smoke-free is better all around for everyone. :up:

It IS the funniest thing to be on a street that just has one bar after another, in a smoke-free city...when I was in Binghamton, NY last year, one street near Broome County Arena is pretty much all sports bars, and each one had a little knot of peope outside it, smoking in the cold.

In favour.

Toronto's gone smoke free and it's fantastic.

nbcrusader said:
:up: for!

One thing I miss when I leave So Cal is the practically smoke free environment. It is certainly noticable when there is a smoker in the area.

Agree:up: When I travel I'm taken back when I smell it, especially in a restaurant, gross.

I think it's good for one reason. When someone smokes in public, it doesn't just affect the smoker. No, instead, their smoke spreads everywhere, and not only does it possibly cause cancer, but some people are genuinely allergic to it.

Melon

:up:

my city is smoke free too, and i love it.

when i went out before they switched to smoke free, my hangovers were mostly from smoke inhilation rather than alcohol consumption.

smoking in restaurants is disgusting no matter how you look at it.

i think it's good for people who work inside restaurants and bars -- they shouldn't be forced to breathe 2nd hand smoke that might have disasterous consequences in the future.

Personally I cant stand the smell of it, I think im allergic. Whenever it comes across my nose it feels like my entire head has just closed up and my throat stops working
When I smoked, I had to stand in the wind because I couldnt stand smelling the shite that came off it.
I love not having to smell cigarette smoke in buildings, personally.
we should make everybody convert to clove cigarettes. They smell fabulous :D

I don't know why they call it smoke-free. It just means that the smoke is all on the streets now, lol. But I am in favor of it nonetheless.

For! :up:

Maggie1 said:
If people want to smoke, they need to do it in their own homes.
I hate cig. smoke being blown in my face!

Also, that and I hate it when I'm walking in the street and the guy in front of me is smoking... all the smoke just blows back.

So you ask, why don't you move?
Sometimes you just can't help it-- especially in a busy street in Chinatown. :shrug:

For. It'd be nice not to have second hand smoke all over the place. I've known people who've died of second hand smoke exposure. We're currently having a controversy over going smoke-free in Birmingham. We should have the laws in place by the first of August.

The stats on passive smoking have been massaged by the fanatically anti-smoking politically correct health fascists.

A big thumbs down to 'smoke free cities' (what a meaningless phrase!) from this libertarian.

:down:

I don't know...I don't like the smell of it, but I don't really see why people should be prohibited from smoking in public, anymore than they should be prohibited from farting in public. Second-hand smoke isnt any more dangerous than car exhaust or a number of other things.

So I guess that's a hesitant against :down:

VertigoGal said:
I don't know...I don't like the smell of it, but I don't really see why people should be prohibited from smoking in public, anymore than they should be prohibited from farting in public.

I guess I would be all up for a fart-free city then. :D

I'm not a smoker, either-can't stand the smell.

But I gotta say that I see VertigoGal's point here. We're all breathing in things in public that aren't healthy for our lungs already, cigarette smoke isn't really anything new. Besides, I've not lived in towns that have banned all smoking in public places, and yet I've generally been able to avoid the smokers.

And private buildings should totally retain the right to decide whether or not they want their places to allow smoking.

Angela

i just really don't understand the idea of smoking bans in bars especially. i guess it makes sense for some workplaces? why isn't there just a smoking lounge?

anyway, if you want to have a few beers and not smell like an ashtray either go to a smoke free establishment or buy a six pack and stay at home.

:down: on total bans.

melon said:
I think it's good for one reason. When someone smokes in public, it doesn't just affect the smoker. No, instead, their smoke spreads everywhere, and not only does it possibly cause cancer, but some people are genuinely allergic to it.

Melon

when someone drives around with his car just for fun it also affects ME. the smoke spreads everywhere, and possibly causes cancer, its just EXACTLY the same.

so how are we going to forbid driving around for fun with cars, adding to the total waste of energy?

i don´t see a single reason why i shouldn´t have the right to pollute everyone else when they pollute me. indeed, there is no argument for it. either you have to forbid everything that harms your health, or nothing. as a smoker and non-driver, a smoke ban is unfair in my eyes.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

when someone drives around with his car just for fun it also affects ME. the smoke spreads everywhere, and possibly causes cancer, its just EXACTLY the same.

so how are we going to forbid driving around for fun with cars, adding to the total waste of energy?

i don´t see a single reason why i shouldn´t have the right to pollute everyone else when they pollute me. indeed, there is no argument for it. either you have to forbid everything that harms your health, or nothing. as a smoker and non-driver, a smoke ban is unfair in my eyes.

Except people don't bring their cars into enclosed areas, and then turn them on with the exhaust only a foot or so away from other people.

Back
Top Bottom