MERGED-->are we getting just a little bit too paranoid? + you really...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
are we getting just a little bit too paranoid?

[q]Flatulence, not turbulence forces plane landing in Nashville

By SAMUEL SHU
For The Tennessean

Flatulence brought 99 passengers on an American Airlines flight to an unscheduled visit to Nashville early Monday morning.

American Flight 1053, from Washington Reagan National Airport and bound for Dallas/Fort Worth, made an emergency landing here after passengers reported smelling struck matches, said Lynne Lowrance, a spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority.

The plane landed safely. The FBI, Transportation Safety Administration and airport authority responded to the emergency, Lowrance said.

The passengers and five crew members were brought off the plane, together with all the luggage, to go through security checks again. Bomb-sniffing dogs found spent matches.

The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal body odor, Lowrance said. The woman lives near Dallas and has a medical condition.

The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane.

"American has banned her for a long time," Lowrance said.

She was not charged but could have been. While it is legal to bring as many as four books of paper safety matches onto an aircraft, it is illegal to strike a match in an airplane, Lowrance said.
[/q]

^ No, not that kind of body odor.

Hmmm, well the picture I got in my head from the headline was a lot funnier than what actually happened, having read the article.

I'm kinda surprised you're allowed to carry matches onto a plane anyway seeing how it's illegal to light them there, so I guess I can understand why they freaked out.

Unlike a few other cases this doesn't seem overly paranoid. It seems that once the ball gets rolling with a situation like this procedure demands that it gets taken the full way.

You really can't help smiling at this......

Not to make fun of anyone's medical condition but you've got to admit it's slightly amusing.

From the CNN website:

+++++

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- It is considered polite to light a match after passing gas. Not while on a plane.

An American Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing Monday morning after a passenger lit a match to disguise the scent of flatulence, authorities said.

The Dallas-bound flight was diverted to Nashville after several passengers reported smelling burning sulfur from the matches, said Lynne Lowrance, spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority. All 99 passengers and five crew members were taken off and screened while the plane was searched and luggage was screened.

The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal a "body odor," Lowrance said. She had an unspecified medical condition, authorities said.

"It's humorous in a way but you feel sorry for the individual, as well," she said. "It's unusual that someone would go to those measures to cover it up."

The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane. The woman, who was not identified, was not charged in the incident.

You know, I'd hate to be the fluffer on that plane. That's gotta be pretty embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom