Merged: Anti-war protesters are going too far + should be kept quiet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
IMO, Anti-war protestors should keep quiet..

i think these mad mad people should stop protesting, their protesting won't do them nothing other than get themselves arrested. i know we have a right to protest but they need to realize iraq has a lot of weapons of mass destruction that could possibly be in hands of terrorists and if we don't do anything about it, who will? i was thinking about this yesterday as i saw 800 or so protestors in seattle on the streets, then 100,000 or so in NYC Manhatten.. now thats just crazy. it would be nice if these people would support the troops intead of bashing the war.

don't any of you agree?

I would agree, actually.

They made a good stand, but there are other forces at work. They should face the facts and devote their energies to a more constructive cause.

Ant.

Re: IMO, Anti-war protestors should keep quiet..

jesseu2 said:
i i know we have a right to protest

I agree, everyone has a right to express whether they're pro or anti war. I don't think anyone should be told to shut up.

Re: Re: IMO, Anti-war protestors should keep quiet..

U2girl said:

I agree, everyone has a right to express whether they're pro or anti war. I don't think anyone should be told to shut up.
Legally speaking, they have a right to protest. It's a benefit of living in a country not controlled by a dictator.

Practically speaking, it's a waste of time, because ain't no way the war will be called off.

Ethically speaking, it only causes more division and disruption in the US. People need to back our troops whether they agree with the war or not, because these brave men and women are putting their lives on the line.

Nationally Security speaking, it's dangerous. When the police have to babysit thousands of people blocking traffic and causing violence, it takes time away from doing things to protect our cities.

billboard3.jpg

heres a peaceful gesture for the Oscar attendees tonight.:)
this was paid for by millions of Iraqi Human Rights Supporters :up:

a billboard in direct vision of where the Oscars will take place:up:

Keep
Hope
Alive.

dB9:wave:

I was only half-joking, but simply said - some people should be kept quiet. Offhand, Margaret Thatcher is one of them.

Ant.

Nice sign, but I would prefer wording that says "America supports its troops" as being more politically neutral and inclusive. Many of us who don't ordinarily support Bush are supporting the efforts of our men and women in unform. They are there, they have jobs to do and let's wish them all Godspeed.

It is a good sign that both ( anti and pro war ) sides can go out on the streets to make their point.

Last edited:
Jesse, yes there are some radical leftist factions (or whatever you want to call them) at the peace demonstrations and some of these people are holding up signs with over-the-top slogans and pictures on them (some of which many would consider offensive). Most of those signs don't resonate with me at all. I simply view those people as fringe elements and they leave me non-plussed. But I believe that the extremist group is a small fraction of the people who are protesting this war and are solely committed to the idea of peace.

There have been weekly candlelight vigils for peace at a street corner near where I live and I can assure you that these protesters are not crazy extremists. They are, well, peaceful. A lot of passersby honk their horns in a sign of support, myself included. The horn honking is as far as the "craziness" goes.

On another note, I agree with Pax. It's not fair to say that just because I'm anti-war that I am by default not supporting the troops. I'm supporting all troops and all people in this conflict in that I don't want to see any of them die.

Last edited:
That pesky Constitution gets in the way again!! :rolleyes:

I was very happy to see that at least 100,000 people don't think this war is a good idea. Let them protest and exercise their Constitutional right to express their opinion. Bush and everyone else needs to be reminded that not everyone thinks this is the right thing to do.

They're not hurting anyone, and by even implying that they may not have a right to do this, it becomes just what Ashcroft and his cronies hope for: Americans who are willing to give up rights because of the fear that those jokers have fostered.

Dissent promotes thought and democracy, and if you don't like what they say, too damn bad. Silence the dissent, and you will be the next to be silenced.

I get a little riled when people are so willing to silence those with whom they disagree! Remember, next time you might be voicing the monority opinion, and I'll be having to defend your right to voice it!!

:mad: :mad:

jesseu2 said:
i think these mad mad people should stop protesting, their protesting won't do them nothing other than get themselves arrested. i know we have a right to protest but they need to realize iraq has a lot of weapons of mass destruction that could possibly be in hands of terrorists and if we don't do anything about it, who will? i was thinking about this yesterday as i saw 800 or so protestors in seattle on the streets, then 100,000 or so in NYC Manhatten.. now thats just crazy. it would be nice if these people would support the troops intead of bashing the war.

don't any of you agree?
I agree wholeheartedly with every word you just said. Now's the time to be supportive of the troops over seas. It's too late for protesting.

martha said:
That pesky Constitution gets in the way again!! :rolleyes:

I was very happy to see that at least 100,000 people don't think this war is a good idea. Let them protest and exercise their Constitutional right to express their opinion. Bush and everyone else needs to be reminded that not everyone thinks this is the right thing to do.

They're not hurting anyone, and by even implying that they may not have a right to do this, it becomes just what Ashcroft and his cronies hope for: Americans who are willing to give up rights because of the fear that those jokers have fostered.

Dissent promotes thought and democracy, and if you don't like what they say, too damn bad. Silence the dissent, and you will be the next to be silenced.

I get a little riled when people are so willing to silence those with whom they disagree! Remember, next time you might be voicing the monority opinion, and I'll be having to defend your right to voice it!!

:mad: :mad:

while I agree that they have the right to peaceful protest, there are those who incite the cops by spitting on them and curse and scream and purposely stir the crowd into a battle against the police.
that doesn't help anyone, the cops are just there to do their jobs.

verte76 said:
Nice sign, but I would prefer wording that says "America supports its troops" as being more politically neutral and inclusive. Many of us who don't ordinarily support Bush are supporting the efforts of our men and women in unform. They are there, they have jobs to do and let's wish them all Godspeed.

i totally agree. I am NOT a Bush supporter, but am a supporter of the current use of military force in Iraq.

Re: Re: Re: IMO, Anti-war protestors should keep quiet..

80sU2isBest said:

People need to back our troops whether they agree with the war or not, because these brave men and women are putting their lives on the line.

Isn't this self-contradictory? If you don't agree with what they're doing, how can you support them?

because they're putting their lives on the line for your freedom. we wouldn't have the luxury of protesting or speaking our minds if they weren't making the ultimate sacrifice.

jesseu2 said:

don't any of you agree?

How do you know they don't support the troops, did you ask them? I bet the majority of them do support our troops and want them HOME where they belong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: IMO, Anti-war protestors should keep quiet..

U2girl said:

Isn't this self-contradictory? If you don't agree with what they're doing, how can you support them?

I agree with you. :|

Screaming Flower said:
because they're putting their lives on the line for your freedom. we wouldn't have the luxury of protesting or speaking our minds if they weren't making the ultimate sacrifice.

Putting their lives on the line is what every soldier does (potentially) when he goes to war.

I thought the luxury of protesting and speaking your mind was acquired in the Constitution.

OK, then what do you think about the common sign "NOT IN MY NAME"? Wouldn't that apply to the troops as well, if it applies to the war?

Re: Re: IMO, Anti-war protestors should keep quiet..

Angel said:

I agree wholeheartedly with every word you just said. Now's the time to be supportive of the troops over seas. It's too late for protesting.

It's never too late to voice your dissent. "Support for our troops" doesn't mean that those who oppose the war need to keep quiet, especially when what they're saying shows "support": Bring the troops home!

Back
Top Bottom