Merged: Anti-war protesters are going too far + should be kept quiet - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2003, 05:00 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:26 PM
HUman shield? Not only is that person quite stupid, but if he survives and comes back to the US, he should be charged with treason. It is one thing to protest the war; it is quite another to take steps to prevent our armed forces from carrying out their mission. By placing himself in that situation, he is making it harder for the soldiers to do their jobs.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:10 PM   #107
The Fly

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Everybody has a right to express their opinions -- but please don't shout it in my face or block my way in the streets -- then you are abusing my right. Every right carries with it the need to handle it with consideration and care.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
HUman shield? Not only is that person quite stupid, but if he survives and comes back to the US, he should be charged with treason. It is one thing to protest the war; it is quite another to take steps to prevent our armed forces from carrying out their mission. By placing himself in that situation, he is making it harder for the soldiers to do their jobs.
The "human shields" are not defending military targets. It is my understanding that they are positioned around one of Baghdad's power plants. And given the fact that the US has left the lights on in Baghdad, power plants are not on the target list.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #109
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
http://www.m27coalition.org/

Thanks.

STOP THE WAR ON IRAQ!
Gather at 12 noon
March on the White House

On Saturday, April 12, join the tens of thousands of
people of conscience who will surround the White House.
The whole world is watching to see if the people of the
United States can intensify the power of the anti-war
movement at the moment that the Bush Administration is
intending to slaughter tens of thousands of Iraqi people
and occupy their country. We urge every anti-war organizer
and concerned person to bring your friends, neighbors and
family members to this all-important mobilization on April
Old 03-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The "human shields" are not defending military targets. It is my understanding that they are positioned around one of Baghdad's power plants. And given the fact that the US has left the lights on in Baghdad, power plants are not on the target list.
If civilians wore green clothes and the military wore pink polka dot, it would be easy to distinguish, and there wouldn't be such a problem, but in this war, in which Saddam's forces masquerade as civilians, it makes the task at hand even more slippery.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #111
New Yorker

Pssst Meggie,

Wear a disguise. Maybe some fly shades.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

Thanks.

STOP THE WAR ON IRAQ!
Gather at 12 noon
March on the White House

at the moment that the Bush Administration is
and occupy their country.
Huh? Tens of thousands? That's so ridiculous, it's laughable. Where did they get their figures,

http://www.totallyoffbasespeculation...drugusage.com?
Old 03-26-2003, 07:02 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
This all reminds me of the old "Moral Majority". While there are many with well intentioned beliefs, the anti-war movement is neither a majority or all "anti-war".
Old 03-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #114
New Yorker

Tens of thousands is not off base. It may not be actual casualities from our bombing, but it incorporates the casualities after the war. From lack of water, as in Basr, refugee deaths, ect. It's only been a week and we can't get humanitarian help in. The UN has published an estimate of 300,000 to 500,000 deaths due to the war.

And I take your link to be insulting in the least.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

I am so tired of reading things like this.

Quote:

Thanks.

STOP THE WAR ON IRAQ!
Gather at 12 noon
March on the White House

On Saturday, April 12, join the tens of thousands of
people of conscience who will surround the White House.

Please JOIN us in support of our President on April 13. Join tens of thousands of the people without a conscience as we blindly support the President. It is obvious that we are uneducated and not informed on the topic and must all be hillbilly's or from rural America because we support our President and our troops.

Quote:

The whole world is watching to see if the people of the
United States can intensify the power of the anti-war
movement at the moment that the Bush Administration is
and occupy their country.
Yes, because I blindly support the President, I and others like me hope that the world can see that the policy of sanctions, containment and disarmament were a disaster. Sanctions have killed over 250,000 people in 12 years. President Bush has brought this disasterous policy to an end and our troops are on their way to bring relief to the people of Iraq. Now everyone will be receiving the food and medical supplies that they have been denied by the Dictator Saddam Hussein. A man who has killed more Iraqi citizens than any American President.

Quote:

We urge every anti-war organizer
and concerned person to bring your friends, neighbors and
family members to this all-important mobilization on April
Bring your friends neighbors, relatives and family members to march in support of our President and the members of the Armed Forces who have put their lives on the line not only for us, but for the citizens of Iraq!
Old 03-26-2003, 08:36 PM   #116
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Tens of thousands is not off base. It may not be actual casualities from our bombing, but it incorporates the casualities after the war. From lack of water, as in Basr, refugee deaths, ect. It's only been a week and we can't get humanitarian help in. The UN has published an estimate of 300,000 to 500,000 deaths due to the war.

The United States and its allies wanted to bring in relief, and guess what, some of it started arriving yesterday. It would have arrived sooner, but unfortunately, we have soldiers dressing up as civilians killing Americans. Kind of hard to bring relief.....but Saddam loves a good humanitarian crisis so that it can build up more hatred towards your country.

Oh...by the way...who shut off the water? GUESS?????

If you did not guess Saddam.....guess again.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:45 PM   #117
New Yorker

I didn't imply the number of casualities was due only to US forces. Nor did I imply that we didn't want to get humanitarian aid to Basr. I do believe the troops want to help the Iraqi people as much as possible.
I believe those calculations also take into account the inhumanity of Sadaam and his possible actions, including the use of chemical weapons (God forbid).
Because I oppose the war, doesn't mean I am pro-Sadaam. Every sentence on the effects of war isn't a hug for him.
I care about human life.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:47 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Yes, because I blindly support the President, I and others like me hope that the world can see that the policy of sanctions, containment and disarmament were a disaster. Sanctions have killed over 250,000 people in 12 years. President Bush has brought this disasterous policy to an end and our troops are on their way to bring relief to the people of Iraq. Now everyone will be receiving the food and medical supplies that they have been denied by the Dictator Saddam Hussein. A man who has killed more Iraqi citizens than any American President.
Dread,

Your number is WAY off. conservative estimates put the numbers dead from being under Saddam's rule at over 1.2 million and counting.

and to those that continue to talk about how many people will die due to military force. Just remember that it could have all been avoided if Saddam would have followed any of the last 16 UN resolutions.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:50 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish

Dread,

Your number is WAY off. conservative estimates put the numbers dead from being under Saddam's rule at over 1.2 million and counting.

and to those that continue to talk about how many people will die due to military force. Just remember that it could have all been avoided if Saddam would have followed any of the last 16 UN resolutions.
This is my number, I have my reasons for lowballing, and I do know it is more than likely much higher than this.

Peace
Old 03-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

And I take your link to be insulting in the least.
Why do you take it to be insulting? Did you make up the figures? Did you write that call to protest yourself? If so, I apologize for the way I worded it. I thought you copied and pasted it from somewhere. If you did write it, maybe you should learn how to get your point across without baseless incindiary statements like
"Bush Administration is intending to slaughter tens of thousands of Iraqi people". I find statements like that insulting.

You said it may not be as a direct result fo our bombing, but the call to protest certainly attributes it directly to the American use of violence..."Slaughtering tens of thousands" doesn't excatly sound like it's talking about starvation.

The starvation isn't even our fault, either. Saddam Hussein has access to food..he could have fed his people all of these years and chose not to, because that's one way to keep them under his thumb. Iraq was an EXTREMELY wealthy country till he took over.