MERGED--> all Jena 6 discussions - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 03:42 PM
If justice was to be done, no one would be rallying to 'free' six guys who viciously attacked another guy. Regardless of what he did, that is not okay. Two wrongs don't make it right. When Rodney King was beaten by police, people said no matter what he did, there was no excuse for five guys teaming up and beating one. Same goes for the Jena 6. Activists are calling it a 'fight', but six on one with one on the ground is not a fight but a beating in the Rodney King style. By taking this action the Jena 6 degraded themselves to the level of a lynch mob! So they became what they were against.

I noticed the evening news only said 'violence' broke out but never mentioned in so many words that the six 'vicitimized' black boys severely beat one white boy. I guess they were afraid of being called racist. Assuming the white boy did hang the nooses, and assuming he is an asshole, this does not excuse the actions of the Jena 6. If it was okay to beat people up for being a jerk I'm sure we all have someone we'd like to attack.

The charges have already been reduced, but these boys do not deserve to be made the victims and martyrs the nationwide crusade is turning them into. Jesse Jackson said 'get the boys out of jail and back in school.' Is this fair to other kids, black and white, sitting in jail or juvenile hall for similar crimes? They should do time for malicious wounding. If it's proven who hung the nooses, that person should be punished according to the law but not with a physical beating.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:42 AM
I haven't seen anyone rallying to free them, just for a fair charge.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
If the Jena school board had taken that more seriously, expelled those white students as the principal orginally recommended, perhaps had them charged and sentenced to community service, met with the black students and parents when they wanted to talk last September, and definitely not blown it off as a harmless "prank," then quite likely the next several months would have unfolded very differently.
Toilet-papering the tree would've been a prank. Hanging nooses in the tree is a blatant threat. The kids who did that should've been punished.

The school board totally blew it. Then the DA shoots off his mouth. And now it's all blown up in their faces...frankly, I'm surprised it didn't end up much worse.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
If justice was to be done, no one would be rallying to 'free' six guys who viciously attacked another guy. Regardless of what he did, that is not okay. Two wrongs don't make it right. When Rodney King was beaten by police, people said no matter what he did, there was no excuse for five guys teaming up and beating one. Same goes for the Jena 6. Activists are calling it a 'fight', but six on one with one on the ground is not a fight but a beating in the Rodney King style. By taking this action the Jena 6 degraded themselves to the level of a lynch mob! So they became what they were against.

I noticed the evening news only said 'violence' broke out but never mentioned in so many words that the six 'vicitimized' black boys severely beat one white boy. I guess they were afraid of being called racist. Assuming the white boy did hang the nooses, and assuming he is an asshole, this does not excuse the actions of the Jena 6. If it was okay to beat people up for being a jerk I'm sure we all have someone we'd like to attack.

The charges have already been reduced, but these boys do not deserve to be made the victims and martyrs the nationwide crusade is turning them into. Jesse Jackson said 'get the boys out of jail and back in school.' Is this fair to other kids, black and white, sitting in jail or juvenile hall for similar crimes? They should do time for malicious wounding. If it's proven who hung the nooses, that person should be punished according to the law but not with a physical beating.
This is a very good post. It sums up my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

This is a very good post. It sums up my thoughts exactly.
Except the post is full of misconceptions...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I haven't seen anyone rallying to free them, just for a fair charge.
Well, the news was full of protestors chanting "Free the Jena 6," so I'm sure a lot of people do want them freed.

Try them for the crime committed, and try the white kids too. But I'm all for having the charges and sentences doled out fairly, to all involved.

A noose is a prank, and a fight is attempted murder? That's the unfairness of it.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:

I think people are more outraged about the problems leading up to it: the poor handling by the school, the poor handling by the DA, the terrible actions of the white kids involved, etc. But there's definitely reason to be mad about the charges too.

There had been other fights before this, yet this was the only one that led to charges anywhere near the magnitude. They're absolutely excessive in comparison. When was the last time you heard of a kid getting 10 months for a schoolyard fight?

Now, all I know about this came from a discussion in my social studies class, but from what I understand, the victim here was released from the hospital that day, and was not severely injured. Also, from what I understand, the reason that their charges were so large were because the used a shoe as a technicality to make it attempted murder.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, please, for I don't want to make statements that aren't correct. However, from the information I've gotten, there's serious issues with the whole situation from start to end, and a lot of people deserve to be facing scrutiny for their actions here.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Well, the news was full of protestors chanting "Free the Jena 6," so I'm sure a lot of people do want them freed.

Try them for the crime committed, and try the white kids too. But I'm all for having the charges and sentences doled out fairly, to all involved.

A noose is a prank, and a fight is attempted murder? That's the unfairness of it.
Well what I meant is I don't think anyone wants the free from any charge...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

gotcha.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

How come you aren't throwing a fit for the black student that was beaten up for going to an all-white party? Don't you think those kids should've been charged? Doesn't it bother you at all that not a single white person has been charged in any of these series of events? And a 3-day suspension doesn't even come close.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
By taking this action the Jena 6 degraded themselves to the level of a lynch mob!
Lynch mob?

Is that right?

These guys didn't make it to the High School Ring party later that day.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #42
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
When was the last time you heard of a kid getting 10 months for a schoolyard fight?
Not 10 months--80 years was the original maximum penalty! (Attempted second-degree murder + conspiracy to commit murder) Even with their present charges, the maximum penalty is 22.5 years. (Aggravated second-degree battery + conspiracy to commit battery)
Quote:
Also, from what I understand, the reason that their charges were so large were because the used a shoe as a technicality to make it attempted murder.
Not exactly. The DA's novel argument that their shoes qualified as "deadly weapons" is the reasoning behind the present charge of aggravated second-degree battery (a felony, as opposed to non-aggravated battery which, regardless of degree, is a misdemeanor). The reasoning behind the "attempted second-degree murder" charge, I explained earlier in the thread:
Quote:
(under LA law "perpetration of cruelty to juveniles" resulting in death, intentionally or not, can count as second-degree murder, and the DA applied that reasoning, even though the LA definition of "cruelty to juveniles" was clearly inappropriate for the situation and the application of "attempted" to that definition questionable at best).

And yes (not aimed at you here, philly), as unico said--compare that to the white student who got no charges for pulling a gun on the black students during a verbal argument, while meanwhile they were charged with theft and disturbing the peace for disarming him; the white man who received a misdemeanor simple battery charge for beating the black student at a party; the three white students who got no charges for the "innocent prank" of the noose incident...then here you have this other case with the difference that this time the victim got a minor concussion, and all of a sudden the appropriate charge is attempted second-degree murder? Because that is what all the controversy is about. Not whether knocking someone down and kicking them in the head is wrong. No shit--of course it's wrong, but that is NOT the point. If you are so deeply stuck in Dogged White Defensiveness Mode that you can't see that, then you are just as guilty of contributing to the broader social tensions surrounding this case as anyone trying to suggest that the Jena 6 defendants are angelic martyrs who never did a thing wrong. And comparing them to a lynch mob is sick, on a par with comparing some mean old schoolteacher who unjustly paddled you back in sixth grade to Heinrich Himmler.
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

( ^ Justin Barker, the white student/victim, shortly after the beating)

Yes, somehow they don't look quite the same.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:42 AM
I think we could all dig up pictures to invoke an emotional response. All races have been guilty of some pretty brutal crap.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

who is disputing that anyone is not guilty of their own actions

I am just calling out the bullshit
that the actions of the Jena six are comparable to the actions of a lynch mob
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Bottom line is-if the nooses were treated the way in which they should have been treated, odds are it would not have escalated to that point. Clearly appropriate action should have been taken (it is a hate crime, not a "prank"), and at the very least an open forum dialogue should have happened in that school in attempt to diffuse the tension. I'd say when you have a "white tree" you have serious issues with racism in your school. They didn't want to face that for whatever reasons. When you sweep that under the rug you end up with a rug that rots from the bottom up. It was started by the nooses but also by so many other underlying issues.