MERGED--> all discussion of Sen. Allen incident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
It says he didn't know what the term "Macaca" meant.

Frankly, I've never heard the term either.

Do you SERIOUSLY believe him?? It's obvious he knew what it meant, he used it in the correct context calling out the one dark skinned person in the crowd with that term. He's a racist, he's had problems with this in the past. I am ashamed that he is my senator.

U2democrat said:

Do you SERIOUSLY believe him?? It's obvious he knew what it meant, he used it in the correct context calling out the one dark skinned person in the crowd with that term. He's a racist, he's had problems with this in the past. I am ashamed that he is my senator.

I was speaking only from the context of the article.

"In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking."
--Joe Biden 2006

Hillary Clinton introduced a quote from Gandhi by saying, "He ran a gas station down in St. Louis."
--Hillary Clinton 2004

When someone slips and utters a racial slur in the act of ad-libbing a joke it doesn't necessarily make them a racist...unless, apparently, he or she is a Republican.

Attempting to label Senator Allen as a racist can only mean one thing...he's winning.

INDY500 said:

When someone slips and utters a racial slur in the act of ad-libbing a joke it doesn't necessarily make them a racist...unless, apparently, he or she is a Republican.

Attempting to label Senator Allen as a racist can only mean one thing...he's winning.

It's more than a racial slur, it was the fact that he treated the guy like he wasn't human. The action and intention here was worse than the words.

I read about that yesterday :tsk:

I agree, it is the treatment combined with the words. And I am sick to death of people trying to hide and disguise their racism/sexism/homophobia et al as a "joke". Grow up, and stop being ignorant and prejudiced.

I would never defend those comments from Hillary and Biden either. It has nothing to do with party affiliation for me.

nbcrusader said:
It says he didn't know what the term "Macaca" meant.

Frankly, I've never heard the term either.

:|
"Not many people in southwest Virginia would think it is derogatory," Griffith said. "I didn't have a clue what it meant, and I doubt Allen did, either."

Actually his supporter just "guessed" he didn't know. Even if he didn't, why do we need more politicians who use words they don't know, especially while publically humiliating someone?

Worthless.

nbcrusader said:
Try reading the article again.

Not just a "guess" of a supporter.

Ok, I reread and saw this part, but then I also saw this:
Reached Monday evening, Allen said that the word had no derogatory meaning for him and that he was sorry.

Now he seems to be stepping all over himself...

So he's using a word, that he doesn't know the meaning of, yet it doesn't have a derogatory meaning for him?:huh:

Saw this on wikipedia (Allen's entry):
The word could also be interpreted as "macaca" or "mukakkah," a French and Belgian slur for dark skinned peoples of North African descent.[2] Allen's mother immigrated from French Tunisia and is of French descent.[3] Allen speaks French and obtained excellent grades in French as an undergraduate.

^^Correct...I was just about to post that. There's no way he can get away with this, there is NO excuse for what he said. He knows exactly what he meant, and it's too late to take it back. He showed his true colors.

He seems like an all-around oddball:

Allen's younger sister Jennifer Allen alleges in her memoir Fifth Quarter: The Scrimmage of a Football Coach's Daughter that Allen sadistically attacked his younger siblings during his childhood. She claims that Allen held her by her feet over Niagara Falls; struck her boyfriend in the head with a pool cue; threw his brother Bruce through a glass sliding door; tackled his brother Gregory, breaking his collarbone; and dragged Jennifer upstairs by her hair. In the book, she wrote, "George hoped someday to become a dentist . . . George said he saw dentistry as a perfect profession--getting paid to make people suffer."

Asked what he thought Allen meant by using the word Macaca, Sidarth said: "I took it to mean that was the first thing that came to his mind when he saw a person of color. It does have connotations in Hispanic cultures of being associated with a monkey."

Sidarth, who said he had introduced himself to the senator earlier in the week, said he felt Allen "was singling me out as a person of color when the rest of the audience was Caucasian." Wadhams said Sidarth was not the only nonwhite person at the rally in Breaks, Virginia, which is near the Kentucky border.

The video clip shows Allen telling the crowd: "Let's give a welcome to Macaca here. Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia."

Sidarth was born and raised in Fairfax County.

Wadhams said Allen called attention to Sidarth simply to welcome him to "a place in Virginia Webb has never been to and probably never will be to."

University of Virginia political analyst Larry Sabato said Allen's remarks could damage Allen's efforts to position himself for a possible run for president in 2008.

"This is a comment that will be regurgitated a thousand times," Sabato said. "It was a clumsy, stupid gaffe, and it's this kind of thing that destroys presidential candidacies."

The words could be especially damaging when considered in the context of Allen's history of displaying the Confederate flag, Sabato said. Allen used to keep the flag in his living room, and he wore a Confederate lapel pin for his high school yearbook photo.

vert.allen.gi.jpg
picture of a bigot

Irvine511 said:

has Allen denounced these things like Byrd has denounced his past?

Sure, the confederate flag can stand for many things to many people, racism being one of them. But the Confederate flag in the 70's...more rebelling against the culture of war protests, love-ins, long hair and drugs than racism.

See also;
The General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard.
NASCAR
Southern Rock

What he said was totally wrong. I didn't even know this word existed.

Now on a side not if a comedian say Chris Rock makes ethnic jokes or Mencia, Chappelle etc... Do you get offened or laugh??

Unfortunate that he's in Virginia, where he'll probably win either way.

Sad social statement.

Justin24 said:
What he said was totally wrong. I didn't even know this word existed.

Now on a side not if a comedian say Chris Rock makes ethnic jokes or Mencia, Chappelle etc... Do you get offened or laugh??

Are you being serious? You really don't see the difference?

Back
Top Bottom