MERGED--> all discussion of Sen. Allen incident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Total viewers:
8 PM
FNC-- O'Reilly:

MSNBC-- Countdown:

These cable news ratings for Sept 27, 2006 courtesy of Mr Buzzkill.

INDY500 said:
Total viewers:
8 PM
FNC-- O'Reilly:

MSNBC-- Countdown:

These cable news ratings for Sept 27, 2006 courtesy of Mr Buzzkill.

:scratch:

what does this have to do with anything?

:shrug:

It doesn't surprise me. Though if you look deeper into the numbers Olberman's viewership has doubled in about a month. :up:

Back to Allen...just over a month until Election Day...I can't imagine the barrage of negative ads we're going to get until then.

U2democrat said:
:shrug:It doesn't surprise me. Though if you look deeper into the numbers Olberman's viewership has doubled in about a month. :up:

That's true. Just tonight Olberman was reporting about how his show beat O'Reilly's last week...on one night...in the 24-54 year old demographic...in the second 22-minute segment.

Later he showed a clip of himself on Letterman, tee heeing about who, you guessed it, Bill O'Reilly. And Roger Ailes was one of his worst people in the world. Again.

I tune into both programs on most nights, and Fox News is probably mentioned on Olberman's show 4 out of 5 nights. Tonight Fox was mentioned at least 3 times. His infatuation with that channel makes for entertaining TV.

A field organizer for Democratic congressional candidate Al Weed resigned yesterday after it was discovered that she referred to Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) as "Macacawitz."

In an e-mail sent last night, Meryl Ibis asked Democratic supporters to protest "George 'Macacawitz' Allen" during a Republican rally in Danville.

The term "Macacawitz" is an apparent reference to Allen's use of the word "macaca" and the recent discovery that he has Jewish heritage.
Look, not a big deal, neither was macaca for that matter.

However, why am I pretty sure Meryl Ibis wasn't named "Worst Person in the World" by Keith Olbermann.

I can't believe this is making national news. The phrase "Macacawitz" was originated by a conservative magazine (I can't remember which one exactly...gimme a bit and I'll come up with it). :huh:

:huh:

Quote from John McCain on the novel:
"James Webb’s new novel paints a portrait of a modern Vietnam charged with hopes for the future but haunted by the ghosts of its war-torn past. It captures well the lingering scars of the war, and exposes the tension between the dynamism of a new generation and the invisible bondage of an older generation for whom wartime allegiances, and animosities, are rendered no less vivid by the passage of time. A novel of revenge and redemption that tells us much about both where Vietnam is headed and where it has been."

Last edited:
That novel thing is so bizarre, and I wonder how it was overlooked by everyone so far on both sides.

So because he actually saw a man put a 4 year old's penis in his mouth it's therefore not a sexual act?

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200610/POL20061027c.html

Webb Says His Novels 'Inappropriate' for News Radio
By Nathan Burchfiel
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
October 27, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - In an interview on Washington Post Radio Friday morning, Jim Webb, the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate in Virginia, said excerpts of his novels are "a little bit inappropriate" to be read on news radio.

"I don't know why you're reading that on WTOP," Webb told host Mark Plotkin. "I think it's a little bit inappropriate."

Plotkin was reading an excerpt from Webb's novel "Something to Die For," in which Webb describes a female stripper performing sexual acts with a banana.

"I don't think that's appropriate for you to read on WTOP," Webb said again as Plotkin finished the excerpt. (Washington Post Radio is WTOP's sister station.)

The campaign of Republican Sen. George Allen on Thursday released excerpts from some of the war novels Webb wrote between 1978 and 2002. The books include some graphic sexual passages, as well as frequent uses of a racial slur for blacks and descriptions of Vietnamese women as "monkey-faced."

Among the excerpts is a scene from the 2002 novel "Lost Soldiers," in which a man embraces his four-year-old son and places the boy's penis in his mouth.

Webb said the release of the excerpts was "a Karl Rove campaign tactic" and a "classic example of the way this campaign has worked. It's smear after smear."

He defended his fiction as "illuminative."

"It's not a sexual act," Webb told Plotkin regarding the "Lost Soldiers" excerpt. "I actually saw this happen in a slum in Bangkok when I was there as a journalist."

"The duty of a writer is to illuminate his surroundings," he added.

Coincidentally, a Cambodian woman in Las Vegas is facing sexual assault charges for performing a similar act on her young son, according to an Oct. 14 report in the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The article quotes an office manager for the Cambodian Association of America, who described the act as a sign of respect or love.

"It's an exception," Thira Srey told the Review-Journal of the practice. According to the report, the act is usually performed by a mother or caretaker on a child who is one year old or younger. In Webb's novel, the child is four years old.

Webb criticized the Allen campaign for focusing on excerpts from his novels.

"The most important issue facing the country, he hasn't got a statement to make on it," Webb said of the Iraq war. "This country's been breaking into pieces economically ... they've got no position on that.

i think Lynn Cheney's novels, about lesbian love on the frontier, are way hotter.

and the bestiality in Scotter Libby's novels ... :drool:

MaxFisher said:
So because he actually saw a man put a 4 year old's penis in his mouth it's therefore not a sexual act?

do you really think this is a good reason not to vote for Webb?

(not that you would have before, but does his writing have any bearing whatsoever on his candidacy?)

Back
Top Bottom