MERGED--> all discussion of Sen. Allen incident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:
Unfortunate that he's in Virginia, where he'll probably win either way.

Sad social statement.

Are you implying all Virginias are small minded racists like him??

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Are you being serious? You really don't see the difference?

Oh I do see the difference and like I said he made a huge mistake saying what he did. But wouldn't you call these comedians racist also for making fun of someone elses, Sex, Race, or religion.

Why is it ok to accept a comedian to say these things???

Do you honestly think he meant to say what he did?

anitram said:
Unfortunate that he's in Virginia, where he'll probably win either way.

Sad social statement.

it does send a signal

Allen is not with the darkies.

He is with the real Americans :yes:

It worked for the Bush campaign in the S. C. primary in 2000, to stop McCain.

Justin24 said:

Are you implying all Virginias are small minded racists like him??

I know what she meant.

Not all no, but many are so conservative this will not sway their vote. He's been governor already and senator for a term, he's got the money and the name recognition. For some reason that I cannot fathom people here love him.

ETA: The racial divide here in Virginia is still huge. Socially and economically people are still very segregated.

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

Oh I do see the difference and like I said he made a huge mistake saying what he did. But wouldn't you call these comedians racist also for making fun of someone elses, Sex, Race, or religion.

Why is it ok to accept a comedian to say these things???

As much as I don't always like jokes based on stereotypes, it's fair game when you're also self-deprecating to your own sex or race. It's an act, usually fair game to all races and it's meant to be observational and humorous, not for someone to feel inferior.

Justin24 said:

Do you honestly think he meant to say what he did?

ABSOLUTELY! To me the "welcome to America" phrase, puts it all in context...

I think people need to lighten up. Every race is racist towards each other no matter what. So if let's say McKinney called someone a cracker or wetback, would you react the same way or say ohh it must have been her up bringing.

U2democrat said:

I know what she meant.

Not all no, but many are so conservative this will not sway their vote. He's been governor already and senator for a term, he's got the money and the name recognition. For some reason that I cannot fathom people here love him.

ETA: The racial divide here in Virginia is still huge. Socially and economically people are still very segregated.

he also got in some anti-Semitism

Justin24 said:
I think people need to lighten up. Every race is racist towards each other no matter what. So if let's say McKinney called someone a cracker or wetback, would you react the same way or say ohh it must have been her up bringing.

Every race is racist towards each other? Now you're saying everyone's a racist.

BS.

Why would there be any difference between racial slurs? If you're an education individual, you know the difference, no matter your up bringing. If you choose not see the difference then you're a racist.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
There's a video of an educated and tolerant man. Bless all you conservatives sticking up for him.

Does questioning the absoluteness of U2Democrat's conclusion constitute "sticking up for him"?

Or should we give in to the current tide and just damn him with all our might (cause we feel better when we point out other people's flaws)?

nbcrusader said:

Does questioning the absoluteness of U2Democrat's conclusion constitute "sticking up for him"?

Or should we give in to the current tide and just damn him with all our might (cause we feel better when we point out other people's flaws)?

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I haven't based anything on U2Democrat's conclusions...:huh:

I am asking you If he was a comedian would it be different? I am guessing the answer would be know because he is white and white people should not say that. If he was a comedian of another color. Then it's ok.

And I am not racist ok. Just trying to point things out.

Justin24 said:
I am asking you If he was a comedian would it be different? I am guessing the answer would be know because he is white and white people should not say that. If he was a comedian of another color. Then it's ok.

And I am not racist ok. Just trying to point things out.

No, if he was a comedian, he'd at least be funny. I've seen plenty of white comedians do the same type of humor as Chris Rock or Menccia. So I'm not seeing your point.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, if he was a comedian, he'd at least be funny. I've seen plenty of white comedians do the same type of humor as Chris Rock or Menccia. So I'm not seeing your point.

I don't believe he knew what that word meant and did not mean to offend anyone. But now I see in here a Salem Witch trial commencing.

nbcrusader said:

Did you read her initial post?
I read the article. I've seen it on TV, I've listened to the commentary(both sides) on the radio today.

nbcrusader said:

Otherwise, tell me, what can be discussed about Allen?

I think we can discuss why is this tolerated in 2006? For those of you who don't consider this racism, then why not? Does this effect your vote(if you were voting for him)?

There are plenty of questions.

nbcrusader said:

No, by all means, continue to defend what he said. It makes for some very amusing reading while I sort through stuff here in the computer room.

martha said:

No, by all means, continue to defend what he said. It makes for some very amusing reading while I sort through stuff here in the computer room.

Do you defend Chris Rock when he said I love black people but I hate N---ers???

Justin24 said:

I don't believe he knew what that word meant and did not mean to offend anyone. But now I see in here a Salem Witch trial commencing.

Why would you use a word you don't know?

Can you not even see in the context of his background:

The word could also be interpreted as "macaca" or "mukakkah," a French and Belgian slur for dark skinned peoples of North African descent.[2] Allen's mother immigrated from French Tunisia and is of French descent.[3] Allen speaks French and obtained excellent grades in French as an undergraduate.
that he could possibly know?

Or in the most obvious context of the assuming and mocking the individual by saying "welcome to America".

All of this and you are just going to assume he didn't know?:huh:

martha said:

I haven't yet. So the pious interjections don't really add anything here.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

easy there BVS

I can see where you coming from. You can make as many racial slurs as long as your on stage in front of hundreds of people.

Justin24 said:

Do you defend Chris Rock when he said I love black people but I hate N---ers???

Let me explain this to you clearly: Chris Rock is a comedian, pointing out human nature in an insightful, educated way. This ass-clown is an elected official, using racist, derogatory words in their racist, derogatory meaning.

Big fucking difference that you don't seem to understand.

martha said:

Let me explain this to you clearly: Chris Rock is a comedian, pointing out human nature in an insightful, educated way. This ass-clown is an elected official, using racist, derogatory words in their racist, derogatory meaning.

Big fucking difference that you don't seem to understand.

I understand but dont you think that comedians will put this idea that its ok cause everyone laughed at white, black, asian jokes. Remember Younger audiences watch his stand up too.

nbcrusader said:

I haven't yet. So the pious interjections don't really add anything here.

Then what's your point with the high and mighty posts about "other people's flaws"? Yeah, racism is a flaw to be reviled, especially in a US senator.

So take your high road, and think you're above the fray when you refuse to condemn.

Back
Top Bottom