MERGED--> all discussion of Sen. Allen incident - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 AM   #241
Refugee

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
race is a huge problem in this country

you have remarked on it
So has Joe Biden. When casting your primary vote, don't forget, his state was a slave state!!!

http:// www.sun times.com/output/elect/cst-nws-biden28.html

Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #242
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

I am VERY familiar with this hate organization, as I campaigned AGAINST a Lieutenant Governor candidate in Alabama (George Wallace, Jr.) in part because he has frequently spoken at their events.
www.cofcc.org
Quote:
the Council of Conservative Citizens, the successor organization to the segregationist White Citizens Council
Bama, are these the people who run the academies? Those smallish, "budget" private schools that are whites-only or as close to it as possible? I'm not really recognizing anything I'm seeing on their website (which doesn't mean much, I've lived outside the South for 18 years now--though I see they have some Midwestern chapters, too), but for some reason my mind wants to associate their name with this organization I remember that used to fund those schools. Probably there aren't as many of them now as when I was a kid, but back then at least it seemed like there was quite a network of them.

Good for you for campaigning against them, in any case--I don't know how often this happens in AL, but from what I can tell from talking to old friends as well as browsing various message boards, it seems that way too many Mississippians are still stuck in that stage where they personally loathe this kind of crap, yet can't be bothered to protest when their politicians endorse it.

This is "the" George Wallace's son, I take it? I thought his father had repudiated all that stuff...if so, it's pretty sad that his son's still pursuing it.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Burns Says Terrorists Drive Taxis by Day
Aug 31 2:06 PM US/Eastern

By MATT GOURAS
Associated Press Writer

BELGRADE, Mont.

Republican Sen. Conrad Burns, whose recent comments have stirred controversy, says the United States is up against a faceless enemy of terrorists who "drive taxi cabs in the daytime and kill at night."

During a fundraiser Wednesday with first lady Laura Bush, the three- term Montana senator talked about terrorism, tax cuts and the money he has brought to his state. Burns is one of the more vulnerable Senate incumbents, facing a tough challenge from Democrat Jon Tester.

He has drawn criticism in recent weeks for calling his house painter a "nice little Guatemalan man" during a June speech. Burns, whose re- election campaign is pressing for tighter immigration controls, also suggested that the man might be an illegal immigrant. The campaign later said the worker is legal.

At the campaign event with Bush, Burns talked about the war on terrorism, saying a "faceless enemy" of terrorists "drive taxi cabs in the daytime and kill at night."
Old 08-31-2006, 08:06 PM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Terrorist cabbies in Montana?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Just one more #*%@
bashing minorities
Old 09-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Bama, are these the people who run the academies? Those smallish, "budget" private schools that are whites-only or as close to it as possible? I'm not really recognizing anything I'm seeing on their website (which doesn't mean much, I've lived outside the South for 18 years now--though I see they have some Midwestern chapters, too), but for some reason my mind wants to associate their name with this organization I remember that used to fund those schools. Probably there aren't as many of them now as when I was a kid, but back then at least it seemed like there was quite a network of them.

Good for you for campaigning against them, in any case--I don't know how often this happens in AL, but from what I can tell from talking to old friends as well as browsing various message boards, it seems that way too many Mississippians are still stuck in that stage where they personally loathe this kind of crap, yet can't be bothered to protest when their politicians endorse it.

This is "the" George Wallace's son, I take it? I thought his father had repudiated all that stuff...if so, it's pretty sad that his son's still pursuing it.
I'm not sure if they operate any schools themselves, but I think they do raise money to contribute to "academies" that fit their doctrine.

Yes, it is the son of "the" george Wallace. "The" George Wallace waivered on his views and political positions simply as a trait of opportunism. As a "populist," he was racist when it was politically "popular" in this state. His son attempts to be a populist these days. I can see through it.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Does he say that question "casts aspersions"? He seems offended for some reason..

Old 09-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

^ apparently, in the South, it's an aspersion to call someone Jewish?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Maybe

But it's not to call them Macaca
Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
I would say it's perhaps a bit harder for a Jewish candidate to get elected in the Bible Belt, but certainly not impossible. We had a Jewish Congressman for ten years.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, he makes me so proud as my Senator in Congress......
Old 09-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...901141_pf.html

"Some Jewish leaders said that Allen's angry reaction to the question about his Jewish heritage bothered them.

"He was visibly uncomfortable and called it an 'aspersion,' " said J. J. Goldberg, editor in chief of the Forward. "What is it that makes him so uncomfortable with it? It raises more questions about who the guy is."

"How does one not know that his grandfather was a Jew?" asked Samuel Heilman, a professor of sociology at the City University of New York. Heilman called it a "tempest in a teapot" but said it would be a big story to American Jews.

"It is the case that for many people who are so much a part of blue-blood America, it's hard to imagine there is a Jew in their cupboard there," Heilman said.

But other Jewish leaders defended Allen's reaction, saying he was clearly upset not about being called a Jew but at what he considered to be the negative tone of the questioner.

"This was an 'I got you' question -- 'See, you really are a racist,' " said Rabbi Irwin Kula, author of "Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life." Kula said there are many people who have been raised Christian and are not aware that they have any Jewish heritage. "I felt tremendous empathy for George Allen. It is 100 percent possible."
Old 09-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #253
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Are you being serious? You really don't see the difference?
There IS no difference. Let us call a spade a spade: Racism is racism, no matter who spews the garbage. I don't find anti-White jokes funny, at all. There's no purpose in Black people spewing offensive 'jokes' at Whites just because of history.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #254
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Devlin

There IS no difference. Let us call a spade a spade: Racism is racism, no matter who spews the garbage. I don't find anti-White jokes funny, at all. There's no purpose in Black people spewing offensive 'jokes' at Whites just because of history.
That post is over a month old, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this one.

I've never seen a Black comedian crack white jokes, just because of history.

I've seen comedians who were equal oppurtunity when it came to make jokes about all races, including their own. And they were just jokes, they weren't demeaning guestures or slurs...
Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #255
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
"In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking."
--Joe Biden 2006

Hillary Clinton introduced a quote from Gandhi by saying, "He ran a gas station down in St. Louis."
--Hillary Clinton 2004

When someone slips and utters a racial slur in the act of ad-libbing a joke it doesn't necessarily make them a racist...unless, apparently, he or she is a Republican.

Attempting to label Senator Allen as a racist can only mean one thing...he's winning.
You make a valid point, but if a black Dem senate candidate quipped in a speech something along the lines of,"Like whitey over there" the lynching ropes would be whipped out.