MERGED--> all discussion of Sen. Allen incident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My family has lived in Virginia and North Carolina since the 1600s, my great-great-great whatever grandparents fought for the Confederacy, I have blonde hair and blue eyes, you'd think I would be the Confederate flag waving one, not a Jewish guy from California :wink:

U2democrat said:
My family has lived in Virginia and North Carolina since the 1600s, my great-great-great whatever grandparents fought for the Confederacy, I have blonde hair and blue eyes, you'd think I would be the Confederate flag waving one, not a Jewish guy from California :wink:

and you're someone who represents the best of southern culture ... :flirt:

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/09/24/allen_football/Shelton also told Salon that the future senator gave him the nickname "Wizard," because he shared a last name with Robert Shelton, who served in the 1960s as the imperial wizard of the United Klans of America, a group affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan.

Shelton was from my neck of the woods. I vividly remember him being involved in local KKK activities when I was a kid.

Just a little humor from Jesus General

That honor is reserved for only the greatest of men, heroes like Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the Ku Klux Klan. He was honored in this way by no less a man than George Felix Allen when the senator named his oldest son, Forrest.

I can imagine how the senator felt that day. He probably experienced the same rush of emotions I felt when I held my first born son for the first time and introduced him to the world as Torquemada Joshua Christian. Just as I prayed that little Torky would grow up to emulate the Gand Inquisitor's love for using "extreme methods" to wash idolators in the Blood of the Lamb, I'm sure Sen. Allen hoped that his tiny manchild would be imbued with Gen. Forrest's hatred of those cursed with melanin.

Well, that's about it for me tonight. I'm have to help my second born, Goebbels, pack for his internship at Disney. Damn, I'm proud of that boy.

posted by Gen. JC Christian, Patriot | 12:59 AM

Irvine511 said:

well, the whole deer head incident goes well beyond using the N-word -- it's akin to burning a cross on a lawn.

but, i'm not voting against him solely because he's a racist (or was a racist), but this is simply another piece of the overarching narrative of Allen: a mean, dumb, jovial idiot who represents the absolute worst in Southern culture.

Absolutely. If I lived in Virginia I'd definitely vote against him.

By Michael D. Shear
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 28, 2006

RICHMOND, Sept. 27 -- Democratic Senate candidate James Webb on Wednesday sought to explain remarks he had made a day earlier, in which he refused to say whether he had used the "N-word," but he insisted he has never used it as a racial epithet aimed at anyone.

"I don't think that there's anyone who grew up around the South that hasn't had the word pass through their lips at one time in their life," he told the Richmond Times-Dispatch on Tuesday. "If you read 'Fields of Fire,' that word and a lot of other words are in the book." "Fields of Fire" is a novel Webb wrote about the Vietnam War.

Spokeswoman Kristian Denny Todd said Webb, an author and former Marine, "did not want to make any blanket statements that he has never, ever uttered the word. Jim has not used the word directed at another person. He's never used it himself as a racial slur."

Allegations about race continued to roil Virginia's Senate race this week, as Webb and his opponent, George Allen (R-Va.), confronted fresh accusations and their campaigns struggled to shift the conversation to other subjects.

Political scientists who specialize in the history of the South said Webb's careful comments about the N-word, and the controversy over its alleged use by Allen, reflect the word's transformation from a common political term to the third-rail of electioneering.

"The Voting Rights Act transformed that word. It eradicated it," said Jack Bass, a professor of humanities and social science at the College of Charleston. "The crowd that [used it in the 1970s] either quit using it or they were gone. Blacks were voters by then."

Charles Bullock, a professor of political science at the University of Georgia, said that "in much of the South, there was this tremendous transformation from a time when it was a term widely used by politicians making successful appeals to now where it is something that no politician would dare utter."

Webb's comments to the Times-Dispatch prompted Allen campaign officials to direct a reporter to Dan Cragg, a former acquaintance of Webb's, who said Webb used the word while describing his own behavior during his freshman year at the University of Southern California in the early 1960s. Webb later transferred to the U.S. Naval Academy.

Cragg, 67, who lives in Fairfax County, said on Wednesday that Webb described taking drives through the black neighborhood of Watts, where he and members of his ROTC unit used racial epithets and pointed fake guns at blacks to scare them.

"They would hop into their cars, and would go down to Watts with these buddies of his," Cragg said Webb told him. "They would take the rifles down there. They would call then [epithets], point the rifles at them, pull the triggers and then drive off laughing. One night, some guys caught them and beat . . . them. And that was the end of that."

Cragg said Webb told him the Watts story during a 1983 interview for a Vietnam veterans magazine. Cragg, who described himself as a Republican who would vote for Allen, did not include the story in his article. He provided a transcript of the interview, but the transcript does not contain the ROTC story. He said he still remembers the exchange vividly more than 20 years later.

Webb, who is in Texas for fundraising events, did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Todd said Webb denied the allegations in a conversation with her.

"He said it's not true. It's not even close to being true," Todd said. She quoted Webb as saying: "In 1963, you couldn't go to Watts and do that kind of thing. You'd get killed. So of course I didn't do it. I would never do that. I would never want to do that."

Todd condemned the allegations as politically motivated by the Allen campaign.

"They are pathetic individuals. They are beneath it. They are slime," she said. "Here we are trying to talk about the issues. They are completely and totally desperate."

Cragg, a former Army sergeant major, described himself as a longtime friend of Webb's who worked for him when he was assistant secretary of defense under President Ronald Reagan. Cragg said he approached the Allen campaign through a friend after hearing Webb's answer to the Times-Dispatch reporter's question about using the N-word.

"The fact is he has. He used it in my presence," Cragg said. "I don't think he's a racist any more than George Allen is. But he's not frank in admitting that he grew up in a culture where that was common and he used it."

Allen campaign officials declined to comment on Cragg's story. But political adviser Chris LaCivita responded to Todd's criticism. "They wouldn't know an issue if it hit them square in the face," he said.

To clarify things: My original post was reporting a significant issue of George Allen calling a man a racial slur on camera, that's it. Since then, the whole campaign has spiraled into accusations of past racist occurences and that is no fault of mine. I would rather they get back to arguing the issues than people digging deeper and deeper into allegations and such.

I agree, and unfortunately also...
"I don't think that there's anyone who grew up around the South that hasn't had the word pass through their lips at one time in their life," [Webb] told the Richmond Times-Dispatch on Tuesday.
...I think he's largely right about this (maybe not the "anyone" part), for white people of his generation anyhow. Since I lived in the South during the 70s though, I can't speak for what it was like where Allen grew up.

I agree with what Webb said too, not for my generation but definitely for my parents generation. My dad used it once when he was a kid then his mom slapped the crap outta him and told him never to use that word again...and he hasn't since. But yes, most people in the south of that generation has unfortunately used that word at one time or another. Sadly my cousin uses that word still...:sigh:

U2democrat said:
I would rather they get back to arguing the issues than people digging deeper and deeper into allegations and such.

Very well said.

Then we agree, it's been a helluva thread (now on page 20) but I would hate to see the race decided by such an inconsequential issue.

martha said:
I don't think racism is an inconsequential issue.

I don't either :eyebrow:

It's not just about using the n word, that's part of a larger pattern of behavior and attitude. Just like Webb said things that are in general usually part of a larger pattern of sexist behavior and attitude.

Yes this is what politics has come down to these days, but racism and sexism are certainly not "inconsequential". We start to believe that and well, we really will get what we deserve.

INDY500 said:

Very well said.

Then we agree, it's been a helluva thread (now on page 20) but I would hate to see the race decided by such an inconsequential issue.

As a white man

I have never suffered from discrimination:huh:

so it is inconsequential

but
special rights based on preferences
or
paying people more than the market demands
based on their gender
or
affirmative racism for minorities

is enough to get us white men hopping mad

Tonight at 7:58 Allen will have a 2 minute speech broadcast at various local stations here in Virginia. The local NBC station here will air it...I'll let y'all know how that goes...

Apparently he wants to address the "hard working people of Virginia". :| Talk about desperation.

U2democrat said:
Apparently he wants to address the "hard working people of Virginia". :| Talk about desperation.

because a rich Jew from california knows all about hard working Virginians.

;)

George Allen has made Virginia a laughing stock. :| I love Virginia, I have no desire to live anywhere else in America, and I hate being so embarrassed like this as a voter/resident.

Back
Top Bottom