MERGED AGAIN: ...Is the Pope Next? + Pope John Paul II + JP2...+Pope John Paul Dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Terri Is Gone - Is The Pope Next?

Pope's 'Living Will' Wants Life Support to the End

PARIS (Reuters) - Pope John Paul, now being fed through a nasal tube because of his throat problems, effectively wrote his own "living will" last year in a speech declaring some life-extending treatments a moral duty for Roman Catholics.

The ailing Pontiff sharply narrowed Catholic guidelines for treating patients nearing death in March 2004 when he described tube-feeding as a normal treatment rather than an extraordinary measure that can be stopped if all hope of recovery fades.

Regardless of any political differences about this issue, it does seem likely that the Pope doesn't have much time left.

If it's documented that these are his wishes then I don't see any dispute. For such a man of God I can't see why for the life of me he would want such a thing. But to each it's own.

I agree with you pax, we're going to get a new Pope soon. It will be strange for me, this is the only pope I've ever been a Catholic under. Then again, that's probably true of many people because he's been pope for so long.

the Pope certainly

is not next

I heard that something like 4000 people a day pass away in the United States alone
in situations much like Terri S.

without acts of congress

I realise this is stating the blatantly obvious - but the funky Pontiff does seem to be on the way out.

He now has an infection and is getting treated for that on top of everything else. I think it's awful to watch him wasting away like that.

I'm not a Christian, can someone please enlighten me on the religious significance of the Pope? Is he just like...the lead priest?

MrsDarcy said:
He's God's representative on Earth. And head of the Catholic Church.

So he speaks to God?

I thought that was President Bush's job. Haha just kidding but really...he is looked at (by God) as a greater human than all the others?

unosdostres14 said:

So he speaks to God?

I thought that was President Bush's job. Haha just kidding but really...he is looked at (by God) as a greater human than all the others?

I'm not so sure that God thinks he is a greater human being. All humans are created equal afterall. I think it's more that the Pope shows God's will for mankind. I think he would talk to God like anyone else would, through prayer and stuff.
Lol, I'm not good at explaining stuff :reject:

MrsDarcy said:

I'm not so sure that God thinks he is a greater human being. All humans are created equal after all. I think it's more that the Pope shows God's will for mankind. I think he would talk to God like anyone else would, through prayer and stuff.

I think that's a good explanation

Yes he's been administered last rites

The ailing Pontiff sharply narrowed Catholic guidelines for treating patients nearing death in March 2004 when he described tube-feeding as a normal treatment rather than an extraordinary measure that can be stopped if all hope of recovery fades.

I hope he's hooked up to a feeding tube for 15 years with no clinical chance of recovery. Out of all the things the Vatican has pronounced contrary to all scientific logic and reason, this is one of the worst. For the Pope, the Vatican will have endless amounts of cash to pay for his care. How many of us have the luxury of several private doctors to take care of us when we're sick? Most assuredly, he'll never have to wait six hours or more in an emergency room.

For Terri Shiavo, she had hundreds of thousands of dollars from a malpractice lawsuit. For the rest of us, medical insurance will cut off the minute doctors conclude it to be a hopeless case, and most states, including Texas, will do the same with Medicaid patients. So for us plebeians, we're supposed to now feel guilty for letting our loved ones die. Great. I hope he eats his words.

I hope the next Pope is immensely better than this one. As a reluctant former Catholic, we, as a Church, deserve better. I want to someday again feel proud of the religion I grew up in.

Melon

melon said:
I hope the next Pope is immensely better than this one. As a reluctant former Catholic, we, as a Church, deserve better. I want to someday again feel proud of the religion I grew up in.

Theologically or politically?

As the "most travelled Pope" JP2 seems to have done well in the political category.

nbcrusader said:
Theologically or politically?

As the "most travelled Pope" JP2 seems to have done well in the political category.

Theologically. I wish sometimes I could overlook his theology, because, politically, he was probably the most accessible Pope of all time. But damn...his theology could be downright irrational, bitter, and hateful at times--especially these last few years. I can't overlook that.

Melon

The way I'm seeing this is that this Pope is the only pope that I've ever known, and that is what would make me sad when he passes. I don't agree a lot of his politics; they're not in touch with the times. But I would say the part about him travelling is what made him a very good pope. Most popes didn't bother to travel much, and this one would certainly be remembered for his role in the fall of Communism, if that matters anymore.

Another thing about John Paul dying is you wonder who the new pope would be, and what would he be like? Is he going to be from the Third World, or another European? (I heard it might be someone from France) Is he going to travel as much as John Paul and what would his politics be? This new pope would be representing Catholics in the world, so its a big turning point.

Last edited:
Observers say that the next pope will more than likely be Italian. We have to remember that, prior to JPII, the papacy was pretty much an "Italian-only" club. The last non-Italian pope was Adrian VI in the 1600s. Chances are, the cardinals aren't interested in another non-Italian pope--at least not for another 400 years.

They're also likely interested in a weaker pope that will allow for more decentralized authority, along with an older one, with the hope that he will die within about five years. Of course, one only has to remember John XXIII, who, while he didn't have a very long papacy, had a very fruitful one.

I hate to say it, but politics are very much present in religion and the election of the pope isn't immune to it.

Melon

It's the Pope's honorable decision to stick it out. He's not "next" in the case that he will go the way Terri did. However, his health conditions aren't very promising.

MrsDarcy said:
It's so painful to see the Pope in such a bad way....I saw an awful picture of him in such agony in the newspaper today.

Yes ... he's going though a terrible agony. But his faith and strength are unbelievable.
Dunno how long he will resist. I just know he left a great mark, especially here in Italy. His love for children, hie devotion to the Virgin Mary... well, he's a good Pope and will be remember for a very long time, IMO.

yes he is... but in a very bad state apparently
Odd how people make him and Prince Rainier of Monaco dead before they are. Here we have lots of covers of magazines dedicated to both of them.

Back
Top Bottom