MERGED AGAIN: ...Is the Pope Next? + Pope John Paul II + JP2...+Pope John Paul Dead! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
The ailing Pontiff sharply narrowed Catholic guidelines for treating patients nearing death in March 2004 when he described tube-feeding as a normal treatment rather than an extraordinary measure that can be stopped if all hope of recovery fades.
I hope he's hooked up to a feeding tube for 15 years with no clinical chance of recovery. Out of all the things the Vatican has pronounced contrary to all scientific logic and reason, this is one of the worst. For the Pope, the Vatican will have endless amounts of cash to pay for his care. How many of us have the luxury of several private doctors to take care of us when we're sick? Most assuredly, he'll never have to wait six hours or more in an emergency room.

For Terri Shiavo, she had hundreds of thousands of dollars from a malpractice lawsuit. For the rest of us, medical insurance will cut off the minute doctors conclude it to be a hopeless case, and most states, including Texas, will do the same with Medicaid patients. So for us plebeians, we're supposed to now feel guilty for letting our loved ones die. Great. I hope he eats his words.

I hope the next Pope is immensely better than this one. As a reluctant former Catholic, we, as a Church, deserve better. I want to someday again feel proud of the religion I grew up in.

Melon

Old 03-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 05:24 PM
While I'm not Catholic and not religious, I certainly hope your wish comes true.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 PM
but on the other side , John Paul II really digs football ( the real one )
Old 03-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I hope the next Pope is immensely better than this one. As a reluctant former Catholic, we, as a Church, deserve better. I want to someday again feel proud of the religion I grew up in.
Theologically or politically?

As the "most travelled Pope" JP2 seems to have done well in the political category.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:37 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Theologically or politically?

As the "most travelled Pope" JP2 seems to have done well in the political category.
Theologically. I wish sometimes I could overlook his theology, because, politically, he was probably the most accessible Pope of all time. But damn...his theology could be downright irrational, bitter, and hateful at times--especially these last few years. I can't overlook that.

Melon
Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The way I'm seeing this is that this Pope is the only pope that I've ever known, and that is what would make me sad when he passes. I don't agree a lot of his politics; they're not in touch with the times. But I would say the part about him travelling is what made him a very good pope. Most popes didn't bother to travel much, and this one would certainly be remembered for his role in the fall of Communism, if that matters anymore.

Another thing about John Paul dying is you wonder who the new pope would be, and what would he be like? Is he going to be from the Third World, or another European? (I heard it might be someone from France) Is he going to travel as much as John Paul and what would his politics be? This new pope would be representing Catholics in the world, so its a big turning point.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:16 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Observers say that the next pope will more than likely be Italian. We have to remember that, prior to JPII, the papacy was pretty much an "Italian-only" club. The last non-Italian pope was Adrian VI in the 1600s. Chances are, the cardinals aren't interested in another non-Italian pope--at least not for another 400 years.

They're also likely interested in a weaker pope that will allow for more decentralized authority, along with an older one, with the hope that he will die within about five years. Of course, one only has to remember John XXIII, who, while he didn't have a very long papacy, had a very fruitful one.

I hate to say it, but politics are very much present in religion and the election of the pope isn't immune to it.

Melon
Old 03-31-2005, 08:41 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

can we make seperate threads for those who want to discuss what JP2 has done over his time as pope and one for his weakening health.

some of us don't want to read people bash him while he's on his death bed...
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's the Pope's honorable decision to stick it out. He's not "next" in the case that he will go the way Terri did. However, his health conditions aren't very promising.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:54 PM   #25
Refugee

The Pope has suffered heart failure

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/pope
Old 03-31-2005, 10:26 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:24 AM
An honourable man ~ I respect his faith and deeds.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsDarcy
It's so painful to see the Pope in such a bad way....I saw an awful picture of him in such agony in the newspaper today.
Yes ... he's going though a terrible agony. But his faith and strength are unbelievable.
Dunno how long he will resist. I just know he left a great mark, especially here in Italy. His love for children, hie devotion to the Virgin Mary... well, he's a good Pope and will be remember for a very long time, IMO.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:47 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:24 AM
Pope John Paul II

If you don't make it mate, all the best. I trust you will find what you are looking for

peace.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:13 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:24 AM

Apparently he's still alive.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:53 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:24 AM
yes he is... but in a very bad state apparently
Odd how people make him and Prince Rainier of Monaco dead before they are. Here we have lots of covers of magazines dedicated to both of them.