MERGED AGAIN: ...Is the Pope Next? + Pope John Paul II + JP2...+Pope John Paul Dead! - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
My guess is that in the next couple of weeks, we will see people across the political spectrum using the Pope's name to support their agenda.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:28 PM
i think you're probably right. Franklin Graham might win the award of "most shameless," however.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #183
Babyface

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Today, all young people gathered together in Cracow, Poland to pay tribute to pope. I was there. I do'nt know which words can really express what is happening in Poland. We are really "one". I hope I will have a chance to talk about it with Bono. I really want to tell him everything. His lyrics really came true...
Old 04-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
My guess is that in the next couple of weeks, we will see people across the political spectrum using the Pope's name to support their agenda.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Franklin Graham is a complete nut. He'll never have the more universal appeal of Billy Graham (even though I dislike him too).
I'm not sure what's not to like about Billy Graham, but I get annoyed with Franklin's ongoing obsession with politics. Billy always had a way of avoiding them as much as possible.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #186
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Yes. I wonder who else will jump on the bandwagon?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM

Matt Drudge ask:

IS THE WORLD READY?

what a race baiter
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #188
Refugee

Well, we DO know that George W. Bush (who has traveled outside of the US approximately 2 times since 2000, maybe longer than that)--is going to the funeral.

Mustn't miss the opportunity to continue to pander shamelessly to his loyal Base, and shore up the illusion that the Catholic agenda is his agenda too (and not just the evangelical one) and make himself off as a great American Catholic leader. It will give the media some images to shove down our throats the next 20 yrs. And since the US media is little more than a propaganda tool at this point (and that includes, these days, the so-called "liberal" broadcast networks) to push Dubya's agenda (while continuing to treat anybody else in this country as if they were space aliens from Mars) they will lap it up like Pavlov dogs.

I can just see the coverage now, and hear the reverential words. I want to watch the funeral, having missed the news coverage on Sunday, but the prospect of the fawning elevation of the Advocate of Torture, the Dismantler of the U.S. Constitution and womens' rights, and the Purveyor of Empire into an inspirational leader and disciple of His Holiness' teachings will be more than I can stomach. To see the Talib-In-Chief become an "inspirational figure" in John Paul's tradition will ruin it for me.

I am a pretty tolerant person, but hypocrisy is one thing I can't stand. Even more than lies. And this man is very good at both.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #189
Refugee

Irvine, MAcPhistowannabe, I just read your posts, and that's what I'm trying to say. Nobody else would think, in this time of sorrow, of exploiting the Passing so shamlessly. And whatever happened to CNN? Isn't it the media's fault with giving these people immediate and uniterrupted access to say their infalmmatory say? Why didn't they have an agressive commentator challenge his remarks and put him to the test? Cnn used to be the left-wing station, FOx the right. Equal to equal, 2 different cable stations with diff views. Now, I honestly can't tell one from the other.

It's the lack of public debate, the lack of anyone out there to seriously grill these fanatics and challenge them with hard and tough questions on the reasons for their single-minded tactics, that concerns me. As a Christian myself (though not Catholic) I can see their concerns, but their willingness to batter and destroy the cherished laws and institutions of this country that have stood for 229 yrs that frighten me. To hear them tell it, we are going to be headed for eternal hellfire NOW and America comes second, God first....
Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #190
Refugee

PS SOrry to be speaking like this at such a solemn moment but a week from now, watch the funeral and see if what I say does not become true.

I am SICK and TIRED of seeing those with genuine concerns for the upholding of the Constitution of this country, and the advocates of womens' rights (which we are so quick to uphold in Afghanistan, etc), treated as if we were members of the Waffen SS on TV. Mocked, despised, scorend, riduculed--and alienated. All by those who have the money, who fund the media..and we know where THIER bread is buttered.

All right, I"ll leave this thread, and my bitterness now. But it will come true.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #191
Refugee

PS.

Just thought I'd let non-Americans know...

that starting in 2006, when the next batch of textbooks is published, no health class in any American high school will have a textbook that mentions condoms, birth control, or STD's. No mention of these subjects will be found in any American textbook that is used in Health Class. Yes, that is right, you are not reading things. As part of its methods to combat the spread of AIDS, abstinence is tops on a list of methods, that includes 'Get plenty of rest' and "feel good about yourself." (I'm not making this up.) This is how we we according to school teachings, fight the growing threat of AIDS.

This is because of a law passed by the Evangelically-controlled Board of Ed in Texas, which has the funds that control the chief publishing house that handles American school textbooks. (Forgot how this goes exactly, but what goes for Texas, goes for all.) The only mention of these subujects will be in "supplements" that can be passed out to teachers if their districts approve of it. Dubya lobbied hard for this, and got it.

Welcome to the Brave New World of the Most Powerful Nation on Earth.

And the "Silent majority", in this instanhce, did not a damned thing. The TV media siad not a damned THING on this subject...it was snuck through in broad daylight, with no public debate invited whatsoever.

How the rest of the world can only LAUGH out LOUD at us....as we devolve back to the #(*$^# STONE AGE. This is beyond surreal, this is Huxleyan, and it has all come upon us so fast, SO FAST, that it is dizzying. There was no warning whatsoever. Is this REALLY HAPPENING in the US of A???? Officially the world's only Superpower???

If someday we have an AIDS epidemic that makes eyebrows in Africa slightly raise, then we'd only have DESERVED it, for failing to speak out on this, as well as endorsing policies that are so unrealistic. This is not the Middle Ages or the God-darned Renaiassance period, when Galielo was thrown into prison for arguing the earth goes around the sun. Yet becuase our state and local gov't are in the hands of the Taliban, and the rest fo the country is willing to be takewn in by the lies, this is waht we're getting.

..if they should not be so scared.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:28 AM
in Italy people are already playing the lottery of who will be the next pope those crazy italians
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #193
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
that starting in 2006, when the next batch of textbooks is published, no health class in any American high school will have a textbook that mentions condoms, birth control, or STD's. No mention of these subjects will be found in any American textbook that is used in Health Class. Yes, that is right, you are not reading things. As part of its methods to combat the spread of AIDS, abstinence is tops on a list of methods, that includes 'Get plenty of rest' and "feel good about yourself." (I'm not making this up.) This is how we we according to school teachings, fight the growing threat of AIDS.
Even Dr. Phil had someone on who encouraged comprehensive sex education with birth control and abstinence discussions.

Seeing the brats on that show made me fully convinced that abstinence-only education will fall on deaf ears. Of course, studies have shown this already.

Melon
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #194
Refugee

Currently, 6 out of 10 U.S, teens has sex in high school, and there is a growing trend of pre-teens catching and transmitting STD's.

This is simply not going to be solved by wagging your finger at kids and saying, "Don't have sex." American culture is saturated with it, and there is no way to hide even the child of evangelical parents from it. Not unless you send them to that university that forbids dancing.

Bush points to Uganda as a model to follow for the preaching of abstenence. I say:1) that while abstenence is the most aggressively taught method, it is not the only one; condoms, and birth control and such are available at clinics for adults and those who request them. Or were, anyway. Since Bush drastically cut foreign aid to clinics that have planned parenting materials, this has changed. I'd love to see Ugand'as stats from last yr.

Second, human nature is fickle. People have been forced to act in places like Uganda b/c one out of every 3 -5 people bet ages 15-45 is dying of AIDS. When nobody isleft alive in your village between those ages, and then it would make you think. People in America, kids esp, will laugh off all "illusions"about a crisis until it stares them in the face. AIDS is something that happens to people on MTV reality shows, not them. This is not condemn the kids per se; what is true for kids is TWICE as true for adults. It will take only a true crisis for people to wake up and see that at some point, "faith-based" attempts to change human behaviour simply cannotbe the only accepted way. Science has to ckme to the fore.

The last stanza of "Miracle Drug" comes to mind , as it has so many times these past 3 weeks..."I see Your Face in science AND medicine..."
Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:28 PM
Man, Teta, that's scary. Seriously, I have no problem with people personally choosing to abstain from sex-that's their choice, I don't really care, but my god, we're living in the real world here-people will have sex, and yes, some of them will have it when they're teens. Do I personally think they're rather young to be doing that? Yes. But at the same time, making them out to be horrible people, shaming them, screaming about abstinence and abstinence only and refusing to educate them on safe sex methods and all that stuff won't, like you're pointing out, help the problem at all, it will only make it worse. By being completely honest with kids about safe sex and protection and the good and bad aspects of sex and all that stuff, that'll actually make them think a bit about whether or not that's all stuff they want to deal with right now. Just saying "Don't do it, it's bad!" won't do squat, because kids hear that and immediately go and do what it is they weren't supposed to do-it's called rebelling.

Angela