MERGED--> A New Nation Born + Kosovo's Independence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A New Nation Born

Kosovo's parliament has unanimously endorsed a declaration of independence from Serbia, in a historic session.
Celebrations went on into the night after Prime Minister Hashim Thaci promised a democracy that respected the rights of all ethnic communities.

Serbia's PM denounced the US for helping create a "false state".

And a split later emerged at the UN Security Council when Russia said there was no basis for changing a 1999 UN resolution on Kosovo's status.

Seven Western countries said it was quite clear the situation had moved on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7249034.stm

But what about other places that want their independence?

Sean Connery thinks a Scottish nation is a bonnie notion. How about Spain's Basque country becoming a REAL country? And what's wrong with a People's Republic of Vermont?

There are at least two dozen secessionist movements active in Europe alone, and scores of others agitating for sovereignty around the globe. All of them, experts warn, will be emboldened by Sunday's expected proclamation of the Republic of Kosovo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080215...e_movements;_ylt=AruyOgGePSVSJSHoSkKntvl0bBAF

I see nothing wrong with Kosovo becoming an independent country, especially after Serbia treated them. But I wonder about the ethnic Serb minority in Kosovo. Would they rebel, or leave Kosovo which was probably they're homeland for centuries? And what becomes of relations between Russia and the West? Some say the Cold War may start again.

As for other places wanting to be their own separate countries, I see nothing wrong with that, as long as violence isn't used. Movements like the Basques or the Corsicans shouldn't granted automatic independence just because Kosovo got theirs. Yes, the Basques try not hurt anyone by letting people know in advance they are going to attack, but still. Any use of violence should delay independence requests.

1. This is awesome.
2. Kosovo has a right to self governance.
3. Kosovo has made it very clear that ethnic Serbs will be protected.
4. It has indeed inspired other secessionist movements. I don't think the Scottish movement is serious, but there are several small territories in Georgia that are serious and there is talk of Bosnia splitting up.
5. Violence is the wrong way to go about this, I agree, and countries that recognize Kosovo should praise their nonviolence.
6. I can't wait to get a Kosovo passport stamp this summer.

Kosovo's Independance

Couldn't see another thread on this so just thought i'd create one for anyone who wants to post their view.
I saw joyful scenes from many Albanians in London yesterday afternoon.

Here's a BBC news update for today:

A number of European countries are expected to recognise Kosovo as an independent state after EU foreign ministers meet in Brussels on Monday.
Britain, France and Germany are likely to support the fledgling state but some fear it will set a dangerous precedent.

Kosovo's parliament unanimously backed independence on Sunday but Serbia's PM denounced it as a "false state".

A split emerged at the UN Security Council when Russia said Kosovo's declaration should be null and void.

Russia's UN ambassador said there was no basis for changing a 1999 security council resolution on Kosovo's status - which hands Kosovo to the UN.

But seven Western states including the United States, the UK, Belgium and France issued a statement saying the situation had moved on.
"We are determined to take up our own responsibilities, as states and through the EU and Nato, to secure stability and security in the region," Belgium's UN ambassador Johan Verbeke said.

China expressed its "deep concern" about Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence, urging it to reopen talks with Serbia.

Varitek said:
7. Their flag is really, really lame.

You can talk! Just look at your own flag. But I'm with you on points 1-5 and I'm jealous of point 6.

(For the record, I also think it's superior to the Kiwi and Aussie flags. New Zealand needs to hurry up and switch to the silver fern flag already.)

Agree: Kosovo flag, while uninspiring, still pwns Australia's flag.

I wish we had as cool an alternative as the fern thing. :reject:

Boxing Kangaroo... :no:

Back on topic... Good on Kosovo. :up:

Alisaura said:
Agree: Kosovo flag, while uninspiring, still pwns Australia's flag.

I wish we had as cool an alternative as the fern thing. :reject:

I should dig out my proposal for a new Australian flag. In grade seven, we studied the flag debate in class and one of the tasks was to design our own Aussie flag. For mine, I traced a little ornament my mother had, some kind of native Australian lizard or something like that, and then made it colourful - I think with green, gold, and blue. I thought it was really spiffy! I guess it was along the lines of Bhutan's seriously awesome flag.

/wildly off-topic

anitram said:

What are you going to see there?

Haha I'm basically going to get a stamp. This was the plan before independence anyway. And Pristina is supposed to be awesome. I'm working in Bosnia for a while, then passing through Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia, and maybe Macedonia. Just want to see the Balkans.

Varitek said:

Haha I'm basically going to get a stamp. This was the plan before independence anyway. And Pristina is supposed to be awesome.

LOL. Pristina is a lot of things, but awesome would not be anywhere on my list of adjectives.

Some of the areas in the Balkans are very beautiful.

Well a friend of mine who worked in Sarajevo last spring and did a fair bit of traveling said he really liked Pristina. And I'm a whore for exotic passport stamps.

Though I did get a kick (sad, sad kick) out of protesters attacking MacDonalds, because it shows just how people think of the US.

Back
Top Bottom