MERGED: 2nd U.S. Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Second debate; place your bets!

Bush and Kerry in Dead Heat Ahead of Debate

ST. LOUIS (Reuters) - President Bush and Democratic challenger John Kerry are in a statistical dead heat in the White House race ahead of their second face-to-face debate, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Friday.

Bush's lead over the Massachusetts senator fell to less than one percentage point, 45.9 percent to 45.2 percent, in the latest three-day tracking poll, down slightly from a two-point advantage but well within the poll's margin of error.

The two candidates meet on Friday night in St. Louis in the second of three televised debates. Bush hopes to regain the momentum against Kerry, who picked up ground in most national polls since last week's debate.

Please, bore me with your expectations! :wink:

Actually, Bush may have a slight edge tonight. Obviously I want to see Kerry demolish him, but it would not surprise me if the "town hall" format serves Bush better.

quite frankly i don't see how bush can "win" a debate in any form when he has nothing to read off of a teleprompter. he has minimal language or communication skills.

that said, kerry is just plain boring.

who will win? :shrug: it doesn't matter, they are two sides of the same coin.

Bush is stronger in a more folksy town-hall setting. Unfortunately tonights topics really don't play to his strengths.

I'll miss this one due to attending a medieval re-enactment faire this weekend. But this environment may favor Bush and his folksy personality. He also knows he's got to do better than he did last week, and he's a pretty determined guy. That being said Kerry is a good debater who knows how to take a topic to his opponent. I don't think he'll screw up, but he might not have much of an advantage, especially now that the public probably expects him to win. I don't know.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bush needs to do well tonight... so i imagine he will. unfortunatly no one will be watching, with baseball playoffs and it being a friday night and all.

You are right. Not near as many people will be watching as last time. That means the spin becomes more important than the debate. Ugh. I don't understand the logic of having one of these on a friday night--playoffs or no playoffs.

verte76 said:
I'll miss this one due to attending a medieval re-enactment faire this weekend.

Ha ha! No offense but I thought people would be using excuses like baseball. If you're going to skip it, try to come up with a believeable excuse like beer. ;)

Bush is going to be in a tough spot. The only questions he's had in town hall formats are questions screened by his handlers. One question out of place and he's toast.

I think Bush will do fine and probably learned from his first debate and the Cheney debate. So is the topic just on domestic policy or is it both domestic and foreign policy? If its both, then IMO Bush should do well in that format.

The big question for me is will both candidates try to attack each other more aggressively.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
When he's speaking to his base. I don't see Bush doing well at all. I just don't think he can debate, period.

Indeed. This will be the first time he'll be in front of a crowd that has Democrats in it and you have to believe there will be people asking him questions that are not the fluffy ones asked by his base.

I can't wait to see how many times Bush uses the phrase "hard work".

I also predict he's going to get his hat handed to him by Kerry, who is obviously a better speaker under pressure.

Kerry needs to kick ass tonight to turn the tide his way; if he doesn't and Bush somehow wins, Kerry could be done for.

Bush is smirking, looking smug and yelling at the audience. What's up with the yelling? WTF?

Ok, I'm here watching the debate and while I'm trying to concentrate on what these guys are saying, I must say Kerry's suit is BEAUTIFUL! I don't know... maybe it's the fabric, the cut, the fit... I'm mesmerized! That thing fits like a glove with little or no creases!

Poor Bush almost looks dumpy in comparison (although I do like the color and his tie very much).

So, what does this say about me?! :huh:

:dance:

Last edited:
He's angry tonight, he's interrupting the moderator, he's screaming at the audience, his jaw is going, he's blinking like Christmas lights.

I actually think he's far more unlikeable tonight and incredibly shrill. Does he think conviction = HIGH VOLUME?

I'm currently on the Innernets looking up unaccounted judges. :wink:

Yes, George seems very petulant and childish - and that screaming! He's not doing well, at all. He's all about defense tonight.

Kerry is so much calmer, confident, more in control - more powerful. (Maybe it's that suit!):eyebrow:

TKO, so far.

:dance:

Last edited:
my boy is doing a bit better but not by much:angry:

i don't know if this will carry him.
got a call from my conserative brother (not the deep poster here);) and he claims tha gw is knocking the excrement outta kerry.

from an objective fair-minded perspective, i don't see it.

time will tell.

db9

My mother is a Canadian, of political centre, and she has never even heard Kerry speak before (she obviously has heard Bush). She watched tonight for half an hour and said, "who would vote for Bush?" She is a professional consultant and public speaker and her opinion is that Bush is extremely unhinged and unprepared, whereas Kerry looks dignified, likeable and presidential.

0-2 indeed.

Back
Top Bottom