MERGED: 2nd U.S. Presidential Debate - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #61
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:03 AM
It was a pretty energetic debate that played to GW's strengths... Bush looked much better than last time and I believe Kerry was better this time around as well. A draw wouldn't be an unfair assessment. With that said, I think Bush got the more positive bounce from this debate. Bush didn't look like/ act like a moron (i.e. a pretty good grasp of the issues). Bush has always had that idiot boy reputation and it was reinforced by that first debate. This time around Bush came in with a little more command of things and appeared more knowledgeable. Kerry did well in that he kept the attack and was articulate as always. Just as personable. IMO the effectiveness of Bush was that he kept things relatively simple in the debate and somewhat more memorable in his gestures. I have no idea how something like his interrupting Charles Gibson would appear to the majority of people. To some it would be manly like MSNBC said or rude to others. Me, personally: I thought it was pretty funny and set the tone for a more interesting debate.

Kerry on the other hand just seemed the same. He talked about a lot of things but IMO some issues could have been distracted from b/c of the contrast in style the President had. IMO, for Kerry to do well in these debates or to get the max buzz from these debates is to be more aggressive and stay on message. If Bush comes out the same way he did tonight, then IMO Kerry won't get as huge a bump as he could.

Internet polls are funny things.... LOL

Old 10-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #62
New Yorker

I think the point is that this was a town hall debate, you should respond more personably, talk person to person, more of a conversation than a Q&A. I noticed once that Kerry didn't hear someone's name and asked for the name again before the question was asked, which impressed me, but both candidates acted like they did when they stood behind podiums in front of Jim Lehrer.

I think one of the key moments in the '92 debate was when a woman asked about the National Deficit and how it affects the candidates personally. She didn't mean National Deficit, she meant declining economy. Bush called her out and asked her what she meant, she was confusing. Clinton understood she was a just an average American that didn't undestand the mumbo jumbo but understood people were losing jobs in her city. He said something along the lines of the job cuts affected him because he usually knew people that were laid off and how that affected his state. Bush looked like an ass, Clinton "felt her pain". There were no moments like that tonight.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #63
New Yorker

Kerry seemed regal and presidential, Bush's interruptions of Charlie seemed lilke something the pushy kid on the playground would do. You are right -- bush got a bigger bounce but he had alot more ground to make up after last week than Kerry. If Kerry stayed even tonight, it would be considered a victory.

On that note, I just want to apologize to our Canadian friends. I grew up in Detroit, love watching hockey and am pissed about this NHL lockout. That being said, I don't think Canada is a third-world nation and I believe your drugs are just fine. Wait...I believe your prescription drugs are safe. That's better.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

On that note, I just want to apologize to our Canadian friends. I grew up in Detroit, love watching hockey and am pissed about this NHL lockout. That being said, I don't think Canada is a third-world nation and I believe your drugs are just fine. Wait...I believe your prescription drugs are safe. That's better.
Maybe if Bush ever visited Canada he would know people aren't falling over dead from OUR drugs. That or he could at least look it up on the internets.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #65
New Yorker

Muslims, Jews, Evangelicals, and Catholics are pretty anti-abortion from what I understand. So the question becomes should secularists have the say on the issue of a abortion. I don't think answering that all Americans should be represented on this issue actually supports abortion rights. I believe Kerry's mentioning that an article of faith shouldn't affect legislation is more effective a point.

Bush didn't want to name one mistake b/c it would be political suicide and just hurt his campaign, especially if it is pertaining to Iraq (the sore point for Bush right now). I didn't hold it against him. As for miscues in speaking... this Goerge Bush we're talking about and John Edwards made verbal miscue in his last debate. IMO Bush saying internets was worse than Kennedy.

I don't think Bush flubbed the Supreme Court question b/c his answer is directed at/to his base. His answer falls under a difference of opinion on how people approach what the judiciary can do. However, Kerry crafted a pretty good answer and criticism.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
the fact that he couldn't name ONE mistake let alone three

Actually,

he did say he made mistakes,
in a few appointments.

O'Neil comes to mind, and some people at the EPA, and many others who have resigned and put honesty and decency first

over loyalty to this bankrupt administration.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
That being said, I don't think Canada is a third-world nation and I believe your drugs are just fine. Wait...I believe your prescription drugs are safe. That's better.
Well, Canada's other drugs are just fine, too!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Muslims, Jews, Evangelicals, and Catholics are pretty anti-abortion from what I understand.
Most people I work with are Jewish. About half are Israeli-born. Not a single one is pro-life.

I am Catholic, as is my entire family, both maternal and paternal and not a single person in my immediate nor extended family is pro-life. I attended Catholic schools all the way until University and not a single one of my friends there were pro-life.

You would be surprised by how many Catholics follow a much more secular view when it comes to issues of birth control, abortion and a number of other issues. The media likes to bunch them in under the umbrella of the Pope when a good chunk of Catholics probably can't stand the man.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

BC Hydro.

uhhh... uhhh....
Old 10-08-2004, 09:37 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Most people I work with are Jewish. About half are Israeli-born. Not a single one is pro-life.

I am Catholic, as is my entire family, both maternal and paternal and not a single person in my immediate nor extended family is pro-life. I attended Catholic schools all the way until University and not a single one of my friends there were pro-life.

You would be surprised by how many Catholics follow a much more secular view when it comes to issues of birth control, abortion and a number of other issues. The media likes to bunch them in under the umbrella of the Pope when a good chunk of Catholics probably can't stand the man.
Yeah, I went to Catholic high school (I wasn't Catholic) and it was only a few years later that I realized that Catholics were supposed to all be so-called Pro-Life. It just wasn't a big issue.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:37 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't think Bush flubbed the Supreme Court question b/c his answer is directed at/to his base

oh come on

The Dread Scott decision.

I know his base is the South.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 PM   #72
New Yorker

Really? My understanding of the relationship between the Pope and Catholics was that Catholics generally respect the Pope. But you're saying Catholics gernally don't like the Pope? Okay...

I understand there are secular religious people. There are Christians who don't believe that Jesus is divine, Jewish people who eat pork, and Muslims who don't wear their scarves/ headress. However, I tend to believe the actual followers of their faith pretty much follow the company line so to speak and that is who I'm referring to. I'd actually lump the more "secular" religious people with the everybody else crowd. But I can see what angle you're coming from.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #73
New Yorker

deep... I would believe you still think that people in the south still own slaves...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

I think to bring it up during the Supreme Court question is rediculous.

It was very weak.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #75
New Yorker

Mentioning Dred Scott was weak no doubt... but his whole schtick about appointing judges who aren't techincally activist judges is typical Repub talk.... typical Repub talk = kissing ass. We can all admit that.