Men enjoy seeing bad people suffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In general I find that women tend to be more empathetic, not always of course. There are always exceptions, and I don't like stereotyping people.

I think a large part of that is nurture and societal pressure not nature - I guess some men think empathy is some sort of weakness. I will never understand that because I think it is a great strength.

I don't particularly doubt that there are some hard-wired differences at work here, but just to throw out a speculation, I wonder if socialization differences that predispose men to be more vulnerable to a little schadenfreude might not also play a part here. Picking on each other--in an affectionate way, not a sadistic one, but that's not to say it can't be genuinely galling--is, I think, a much more common feature of male socialization than the female sort. Of course, this is different from wishing *serious* pain and suffering on someone, but it's not like most guys really thrill to that sort of thing. In violent or war-torn social environments maybe, but I'm not sure that's a good standard for comparison to the more minor sorts of predations that take place in your average, everyday social setting. The social behavior of both sexes gets thrown into a whole other gear in violent environments.

:reject: I must admit, I had great fun with one of those little handheld electric shocker toys a ways back. We were at a highway rest stop store on a family trip, and I scooped up one of those gadgets and amused myself walking up to my kids ("Shake my hand, sir?") with it. They thought it was funny too, though--I wouldn't have done it if I thought they wouldn't. Practical jokes run rampant in our family.

Back
Top Bottom