Men Are Nothing But Sperm Donors - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Yes. Are they all part of your "Christian Taliban"?

Back to the thread.

Does this support a call to end government funding of television? I'm not sure how open ratings and focus groups would affect change in organizations that receive protected income.

1. i think it's more like Al-Qaeda; you have various cells that espouse and fight for the same basic philosophy, though they might not be actual card carrying members -- hence, i prefer the term "Christianist"

2. government funding of television is an interesting issue ... on one hand, if you are free from the influences of corporate America, you can make much better news (see Jim Lehrer or NPR for the best quality, least sensationalized news available) and you can also do shows on topics that would never air on cable because of threat of corporate sponsors getting upset (for example, we can't do shows on global warming lest we offend people who want to sell SUVs). on the other hand, if television becomes tax supported, one has better grounds for, say, objecting to a show about lesbian moms in Vermont who run a maple syrup farm.

so ... i dunno. i've always been impressed with the BBC and it is generally the envy of the world, but the Beeb does have it's problems ...

Old 08-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:33 PM
The BBC, which is publically funded, is way better than most non-governmentally funded channels. I don't know where this idea that the BBC would be better off without tax-payer funding is coming from.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
The BBC, which is publically funded, is way better than most non-governmentally funded channels. I don't know where this idea that the BBC would be better off without tax-payer funding is coming from.

you've never heard of the oft-complained about liberal bias?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Does this support a call to end government funding of television? I'm not sure how open ratings and focus groups would affect change in organizations that receive protected income.
I do not believe this to be an issue in the UK and especially not the U.S. We have PBS, yes, but we also have tons of other options if we do not want to watch that.

Likewise, while the UK may not technically have as many options as the U.S., they still have quite a few.

But for those who ARE complaining about the BBC, that's what you get when you have no incentive for public accountability. That's all I was saying. I was certainly not implying that I think anything is especially wrong with the BBC or any publically-funded network myself.

Melon
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
you've never heard of the oft-complained about liberal bias?
Yeah and it's bullshit. The world doesn't need another Rupert Murdoch channel. (But you already knew that didn't you?)
Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Yeah and it's bullshit. The world doesn't need another Rupert Murdoch channel. (But you already knew that didn't you?)

yes, i did know that. agreed.

however, in my heart of hearts, i have found some Beeb coverage of Israel/Palestine a bit biased.

but, hey, if there's one thing we've got it's infotainment ... uh, i mean information options!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
I missed this thread. Here's all I've got.
I'm a man. I'm thinking about donating plasma(does this make me more of a man?). And in regards to my job being my source of confidence? I want to be a stay at home dad. BOOYAH!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^ If I weren't married & you weren't already taken by Liv, I'd ask you to marry me!!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
And in regards to my job being my source of confidence? I want to be a stay at home dad
Good for you, that's a fantastic goal and such an important job
Old 08-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
^ If I weren't married & you weren't already taken by Liv, I'd ask you to marry me!!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
Heeeey....

j/k
Old 08-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #57
The Fly

Local Time: 02:33 PM
He is absolutely correct that advertising is increasingly targeted to women. However, maybe thats based on a statistical assumption that women (employed or homemakers) will be doing most of the purchasing except for very big ticket items. All in all, advertising prejudice is the least of the problems in the world.

As for men being "sperm donors", it could happen, it could already be, it could be the wave of the future...I hope its not and if it is....thats a very very sad commentary on the state of "humanity" in the world and at that point, the terrorists wouldnt be destroying much of value if they wiped out the whole human race....but I like to start each day with the thought that there are still some good and humane women out there in the world somewhere.

Power has always been attractive to men (or women) of low morality. As far as Im concerned, the only people who lust after power are the weak and the hungry. its the only way they can validate their existence and or edify their existence in the world.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by peacepandemic

As for men being "sperm donors", it could happen, it could already be, it could be the wave of the future...I hope its not and if it is....thats a very very sad commentary on the state of "humanity" in the world and at that point, the terrorists wouldnt be destroying much of value if they wiped out the whole human race....but I like to start each day with the thought that there are still some good and humane women out there in the world somewhere.
I think you may be taking this article a little too seriously. There are good and humane women and men out there. Terrorist and this article will never end that.
Quote:
Originally posted by peacepandemic

Power has always been attractive to men (or women) of low morality. As far as Im concerned, the only people who lust after power are the weak and the hungry. its the only way they can validate their existence and or edify their existence in the world.
Power, like anything else, can be good and bad. Power can be positive.

MLK had power, Ghandi had power, Bono has power, those that create charities have power, those that give have power, etc...
Old 08-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Power, like anything else, can be good and bad. Power can be positive.

Bono has power, those that create charities have power, those that give have power, etc...
They have influence and access to power. I don't know that I would call it power itself. Bono still had to go begging.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

Bono still had to go begging.
Bono changed Helms whole perspective on AIDS...that's power.

The fact that a rock star has any president or politican even taking his calls is power.

Even the most powerful have to "beg" as you put it.