Memorizing the big 10 ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Can anyone give me some tips on how I can memorize the 10 Commandments in order? My Polish "spiritual advisor" :cute: has been trying to get me to remember them in order and I'm just not getting it yet! I'm going with it, though, since I'm just following teacher's orders. :D

Memorize this sentence: "One idle damn Sunday, Dad killed cheating thief and lied to cover it."

"One"-don't have any other gods
"idle"-don't make an idol
"damn"-don't take the Lord's name in vain
"Sunday"-honor the Sabbath
"Dad"-honor mom and dad
"Killed"-don't kill
"cheating"-don't commit adultery
"theif"-don't steal
"and lied"-don't lie
"cover it"-don't covet

I was just trying to figure out what the big 10 in the title were. :) ...and there are those stupid little 10 commandments yard signs all over around here too. Shows how much I pay attention to them. :huh:

The version I have is in a different order. Here's the abbreviated version I have.

No other gods
don't take the Lord's name in vain
honor the Sabbath
honor your father and mother
don't kill
don't commit adultery
don't steal
don't lie
don't covet your neighbor's wife
don't covet your neighbors goods

So now what. :huh:

I do know that the Catholic and Protestant versions are slightly different. Don't know what the differences are...but I know they are different. I think the two groups are just trying to confuse each other. :yes:

indra said:
I do know that the Catholic and Protestant versions are slightly different. Don't know what the differences are...but I know they are different. I think the two groups are just trying to confuse each other. :yes:

That's just the Protestants trying to be all rebellious and different. Crazy Protestants. :wink:

Personally, I didn't need a memory aid to help me with the Ten Commandments. They kind of came naturally to me. Though, after ten or so years of Catholic school, they tend to come somewhat naturally. :tongue:

indra said:

The Protestant Ten Commandments merge the coveting commandments and separate the first into two, as written in Exodus. Considering history, adding emphasis on "idolatry" was likely intended to as a slap against Catholicism and their statues, which many perceived to be idolatry. That's a debate as old as Christianity itself.

I think if people want to post the Ten Commandments in schools or in courtrooms, let's put the Catholic one next to a statue of the Virgin Mary holding a rosary. But this is besides the point, so if anyone wants to flame this comment, make a new thread. :sexywink:

Melon

Last edited:
Thou Shalt Be All That You Can Be
Thou Shalt Dress Up Like A Lovely Day
Thou Shalt Not Piss in The Drain
Thou Shalt Drift, Drift, Drift From The Shore
Thou Shalt Drop In For A Pack Of Cigarettes
Thou Shalt Not Pay For Your Crashed Car
Thou Shalt Not Think You're A Brother
Thou Shalt Just Call And He Cometh Around
Thou Shalt Not Even Remember What I'm Trying To Forget
Thou Shalt Taste And Touch And Feel As Much

UPDATE! I worked on it, and I got them in order! I got a big hug from my fine Polish "teacher". He said he was proud of me! :cute: :D

MumblingBono said:
Thou Shalt Be All That You Can Be
Thou Shalt Dress Up Like A Lovely Day
Thou Shalt Not Piss in The Drain
Thou Shalt Drift, Drift, Drift From The Shore
Thou Shalt Drop In For A Pack Of Cigarettes
Thou Shalt Not Pay For Your Crashed Car
Thou Shalt Not Think You're A Brother
Thou Shalt Just Call And He Cometh Around
Thou Shalt Not Even Remember What I'm Trying To Forget
Thou Shalt Taste And Touch And Feel As Much

:lmao: