Mel Gibson's "Passion"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
By now, I'm sure most of you have heard of Mel Gibson's faith, and his new film "The Passion" about the crucifixion of Christ. I found a very good article about it.

Here is cool snippet for ya...

What's particularly fascinating is the way God seems to be working in incredible ways through miraculous situations both on and off the set. "There is an interesting power in the script", Gibson notes. "There have been a lot of unusual things happening, good things like people being healed of diseases, a couple of people have had sight and hearing restored, another guy was struck by lightning while we were filming the crucifixion scene and he just got up and walked away. There was even a little six year old girl (the daughter of a person connected with the crew) who had epilepsy since she was born and had up to 50 epileptic fits a day, she doesn't have them anymore for over a month now." He marvels at how this movie has effected or touched most of the cast in some deep and personal way. "And they really give you a lot of hope, it's like wow! I mean, we're not kidding around about this, it's really happening."

The entire article can be found at:

http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=16

Yes, Aramaic and possible Hebrew. Given that we know (or should know) the story, watching it in Aramaic will be quite interesting.

I was wondering when would this subject come up around here!

I'd like to see it. Its going to be in both Aramaic and Hebrew with no subtitles, so it would be neat to see.
I also read that the crucifixion scene is going to be quite graphic, since Mel doesn't think other movies showed it in accurate portrayal. I think I'll be a little freaked by that.

I have a feeling this is going to be an emotional movie where we'd have to bring a lot of tissues.

As for what's happening on the set, :cool:

Perle

filledeperle said:
I was wondering when would this subject come up around here!

I'd like to see it. Its going to be in both Aramaic and Hebrew with no subtitles, so it would be neat to see.
I also read that the crucifixion scene is going to be quite graphic, since Mel doesn't think other movies showed it in accurate portrayal. I think I'll be a little freaked by that.

I have a feeling this is going to be an emotional movie where we'd have to bring a lot of tissues.

As for what's happening on the set, :cool:

Perle

As for what happened on the set, I'd have to see it. But this movie sounds very interesting. I'll have to say there's never been a movie that even came close to encompassing what I believe of Christ yet. Do you all have any?

brettig said:
I'm led to believe Mel's branch of Catholicism is a bit on the extreme side.

Based on many other things I've read about Mel, I think that he puts his faith in Christ rather than the church.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

As for what happened on the set, I'd have to see it. But this movie sounds very interesting. I'll have to say there's never been a movie that even came close to encompassing what I believe of Christ yet. Do you all have any?

Well, according to what I've read in this article and many others, if something's not supported by the Bible, it won't be in this movie. If what you believe about Christ is what's written in the Bible, then you'll probably love this movie.

There are many movies about Christ that I love very much, for different reasons. I'll make a couple of recommendations for ya.

"Jesus Of Nazareth" - 6 hour miniseries. Very Biblical. Does have a couple of side stories that didn't happen in the Bible, but they don't detract from anything the Bible says. Excellent movie, very touching.

"The Judas Project" - a movie about Jesus, if he came in modern times instead of back then. A couple of the actors' performances aren't all that great, and the special effects look like they came out of Raiders Of The Lost Ark (kinda dated), but the story is great. The actors that portray Jesus and Judas are incredible! Shows Jesus' love for humanity like no movie ever has. This movie has a funeral scene for Jesus, which is very touching and moving.

80sU2isBest said:
Based on many other things I've read about Mel, I think that he puts his faith in Christ rather than the church.

Why do you say this? And is anything you've read about him available online - I'd be interested in reading it if so. :)

He puts his faith in a sect of Catholicism that is oposed to the reforms of the 2nd Vatican Council. His dad in particular sounds quite, er, hard line?

From IMDB.com

A New York Times Sunday magazine article due to appear on March 9 will report that The Passion, a movie about the last 12 hours in Christ's life being produced and directed by Mel Gibson, will reflect Gibson's ultra-traditional Catholicism. Christopher Noxon, who wrote the piece, interviewed the star's father, Hutton Gibson, who has called Pope John Paul II "Garrulous Karolus, the Koran kisser" and has denied that the Holocaust ever happened. The Times article says that the movie may revive the charge that the Jews killed Christ. Gary Giuffr?, a friend of the actor who holds his traditionalist beliefs, told the Times that the $25-million movie, which Gibson is personally financing, will "lay the blame for the death of Christ where it belongs."

That said, I've heard generally good things about the film itself...

There was once a time when I really, really liked and even admired Mel Gibson, but the more I hear about him, his beliefs, his opinions and his personality, the less I am inclined to like him. This frustrates me, as I am still entertained by him. He usually makes decent if not entertaning movies, and I do like his style; very passionate, he always puts 100% of himself into what he's doing, hence he is compelling and entertaning to watch. I try not to think about what he is like behind camera.

However, with a movie that is so personal to him such as this one, I am both intrigued and frustrated. As a Christian, as a Catholic, and as a human being, I love Jesus Christ, and I am generally for this movie. I think its incredibly brave of Mr. Gibson to do everything in Aramaic and Latin, without the use of subtitles. Also, if this movie has any of the flare from his past two pictures, noticeably 'Braveheart' (a cracking movie, if a little historically dubious), it will be a feast to watch. This movie will, I think, depict Christ in his final hours and show in very vivid detail the emotional and physical turmoils he had to go through. Invariably, the movie is showing Jesus becoming Christ in his sacrifice, and I think it will be truly fantastic cinematic viewing. I am looking forward to it.

And yet, I am frustrated by Mr. Gibson's very hard-line view of Catholicism. By now, I have a pretty good idea that he is a strict Catholic, hence his extensively large family, his outright refusal to work with homosexuals, and pretty much the company he keeps as well as his upbringing. Personally, I find that a downer really. Its frustrating to me that such a fantastic project is in the hands of someone I don't really approve of, despite the fact that he does continue to entertain me.

Hrm. Now, that makes no sense.

I await 'The Passion', with great... er, 'passion'.

Ant.

brettig said:
He puts his faith in a sect of Catholicism that is oposed to the reforms of the 2nd Vatican Council. His dad in particular sounds quite, er, hard line?

From IMDB.com

A New York Times Sunday magazine article due to appear on March 9 will report that The Passion, a movie about the last 12 hours in Christ's life being produced and directed by Mel Gibson, will reflect Gibson's ultra-traditional Catholicism. Christopher Noxon, who wrote the piece, interviewed the star's father, Hutton Gibson, who has called Pope John Paul II "Garrulous Karolus, the Koran kisser" and has denied that the Holocaust ever happened. The Times article says that the movie may revive the charge that the Jews killed Christ. Gary Giuffr?, a friend of the actor who holds his traditionalist beliefs, told the Times that the $25-million movie, which Gibson is personally financing, will "lay the blame for the death of Christ where it belongs."

That said, I've heard generally good things about the film itself...

Hi Brettig. Mel has answered these accusations in many articles, and I will post some of what he had to say. In fact, not long after he started the film, he said that certain people were coming after him for making the movie, digging into his life...

1) from http://www.newsmax.com/showinside.shtml?a=2003/6/25/150758

Gibson earlier stated: "To be certain, neither I nor my film are anti-Semitic. Nor do I hate anybody - certainly not the Jews."

ADL spokesman Myrna Shinbaum said the group issued its first official public statement on the subject Tuesday in response to repeated inquiries from the media.

"When these kind of issues are raised and we feel concern, we speak out even before the film has been made," she said. "We haven't seen it yet, so we can't speak to the film itself.

2) from http://www.baptistpress.org/bpcolumn.asp?ID=859

Appearing on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor," Gibson revealed that a reporter from a "reputable" but unnamed publication had been dispatched to "dig up dirt" on him. Asked if he believed there is a link between the investigation and his new film, he replied, "I think there is.... Whenever you take up a subject like this [Jesus Christ], it does bring out a lot of enemies." Gibson added that his private life, his banking records, charities he supports, friends, business associates and family members -- including his 85-year-old father -- have all been scrutinized in this investigation.

3) from http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/passion.htm

an interview with Mel:

O'REILLY: Is it going to upset any Jewish people?

GIBSON: It may. It's not meant to.

I think it's meant to just tell the truth. I want to be as truthful as possible. But, when you look at the reasons behind why Christ came, why he was crucified, he died for all mankind and he suffered for all mankind, so that, really, anybody who transgresses has to look at their own part or look at their own culpability.

It's time to sort of get back to a basic message, the message that was given. At this time, the world has gone nuts, I think. And this film speaks -- well, Christ spoke of faith, hope, love and forgiveness. And these are things I think we need to be reminded of again. He forgave as he was tortured and killed. And we could do with a little of that behavior.

I mentioned what I was going to do to Night Shyamalan. And he thought: "Oh, great. You have the ultimate opportunity to make the perfect anti-date movie."

And I said: "No, no, that's not true at all. I think I refer to it as the career-killer film." And I was only half joking at the time. But it's interesting that, when you do touch this subject, it does have a lot of enemies. And there are people sent. I've seen it happening. Since I've been in Rome here, for example, I know that there are people sent from reputable publications who -- they go about, while you're busy over here, they start digging into your private life and sort of getting into your banking affairs and any charities you might be involved in.

And then they start bothering your friends and your business associates and harassing your family, including my 85-year-old father. And I find it -- it's a little spooky.

O'REILLY: We have heard that there is a reporter trying to dig up dirt on you, and who has bothered your 85-year-old father, trying to get provocative statements from him, and trying to portray you as a fanatic and perhaps a bigot, that this guy is operating right now. He's trying to dig up dirt on Mel Gibson.

And do you believe it's because you're making this movie about Jesus?

GIBSON: I think it is, yes. I think he's been sent. So, that's the way it is. You got to deal with these things. I'm a big boy and I can take care of myself. And you can say what you like about me. I'm a public person, I suppose, although I don't ever remember signing the paper that I said I had no rights to privacy. But you can pick on me. But if you start picking on my family when I'm out of town, get ready.

O'REILLY: But I'm surprised that someone would go after somebody as well-liked as you are and as powerful as you are. And you really believe it's because you're making this movie about Jesus?

GIBSON: Yes, I think so. Yes, I think there's a lot of things that don't want it to happen.

But, hey, as I said before, it's a film that speaks about faith, hope, love, and forgiveness. That's the basic message. And that's what we need to get back to, I think. And if everybody practiced a little more of that, there would be a lot less friction in the world.

O'REILLY: So, if this guy writes something terrible about you and your father and family, you are going to forgive him?

GIBSON: Yes. You've got to. I already did. But it's just perplexing.

Hollywood Jesus is a good site, but they're only digging dirt because its a good story! If Passion really does follow the track of faith, hope, love and forgiveness then I'll be glad its been made. I just hope its not so austere and 'accurate' that Hollywood is terrified out of giving it a decent release.

Even though I also fear that major studios will turn down the movie for distribution, I think biblical accuracy is the way to go. It seems like Gibson is taking a step of faith, saying "Okay God, I spent my own money to make the film you want me to make - now, do with it what you will". This movie has the potential to be a great "life-changer" for millions of people. I think it could very well be the most important film ever made.

I don't like Mel Gibson, and his "faith" is pretty much at the "Pharisee" level. It's great for show...

Melon

One could say a similar thing about bono "his faith being only for show"....I don't agree...but on the same token....what proof do you have that mel's is "only for show"....personally, unless I know them very well, I tend to believe what people tell me about their faith....and celebrities like Mel Gibson are also human beings searching for the meaning of it all....

80sU2isBest said:
and you know that HOW, Melon?

His type of Catholic was precisely why I grew to dislike the faith. And those who like to disown the existence of Vatican II are especially scary, particularly considering how ritual and hateful pre-Vatican II Catholicism can be.

Melon

melon said:

His type of Catholic was precisely why I grew to dislike the faith.

and what type of Catholic would that be, melon?

Melon..fine..you don't agree with Gibson's form of catholic belief...but that is different than saying its all for show...I just don't find that a fair judgement to make.

I dont think religion is a good enough cause for dislike of someone. In line with Popsadie's above comment we don't know anyone's religion other than our own.
But anyways, I agree this shouldn't become an FYM topic, so back to the thread...

80's interesting stuff...re: one of your last comments about it reaching millions and all that, I hope it does. Do you think though the lack of subtitles will allow this movie to reach as many as it could? For those who are somewhat naive or not into the religion scene so to speak, or people like me who simply have no theoretical knowledge/understanding of the finer points of the Bible and all the etc's, I wonder at how successful it really can ever be. I think its potential will be lost more than it will be reached.
:huh: I don't think that makes sense, lol.

I sort of agree with Angela. While I understand why the director chose to make the film entirely in Aramaic and Hebrew, I can't help but think it will discourage some people from viewing the film at all and make it needlessly confusing for others. Perhaps it would have been best for the film to at least have subtitles, or the option of viewing the film with subtitles to make the film more accessible to people.

Fizz, you would be surprised by the message that can be conveyed without subtitles or translations.

I think of the time I attended service at a Presbyterian church in Cairo, Egypt - done entirely in Arabic. Our confusion was overshadowed by the message we received.

Back
Top Bottom