Mel Gibson's "Passion" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Mel Gibson's "Passion"

By now, I'm sure most of you have heard of Mel Gibson's faith, and his new film "The Passion" about the crucifixion of Christ. I found a very good article about it.

Here is cool snippet for ya...

What's particularly fascinating is the way God seems to be working in incredible ways through miraculous situations both on and off the set. "There is an interesting power in the script", Gibson notes. "There have been a lot of unusual things happening, good things like people being healed of diseases, a couple of people have had sight and hearing restored, another guy was struck by lightning while we were filming the crucifixion scene and he just got up and walked away. There was even a little six year old girl (the daughter of a person connected with the crew) who had epilepsy since she was born and had up to 50 epileptic fits a day, she doesn't have them anymore for over a month now." He marvels at how this movie has effected or touched most of the cast in some deep and personal way. "And they really give you a lot of hope, it's like wow! I mean, we're not kidding around about this, it's really happening."

The entire article can be found at:

http://www.christiancinema.com/catal...newsdesk_id=16

Old 07-17-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:27 AM
that's really cool!

Old 07-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Yeah, I'd say there is some power in the "script"

Old 07-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Wow, i would be very interested in seeing this movie. Got to be Thee role of all time, eh? Go Mel..**! Has anyone actually seen it yet?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm moved just by reading this. If it lives up to even half of this article's tone, I have to see it! I'm intrigued, to say the least..
Old 07-18-2003, 03:50 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I heard someone say this movie was filmed entirely in Aramaic, is that correct? It does sound like an interesting movie to watch.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:31 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Yes, Aramaic and possible Hebrew. Given that we know (or should know) the story, watching it in Aramaic will be quite interesting.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
Refugee

sounds like an interesting movie.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:33 PM   #9

I was wondering when would this subject come up around here!

I'd like to see it. Its going to be in both Aramaic and Hebrew with no subtitles, so it would be neat to see.
I also read that the crucifixion scene is going to be quite graphic, since Mel doesn't think other movies showed it in accurate portrayal. I think I'll be a little freaked by that.

I have a feeling this is going to be an emotional movie where we'd have to bring a lot of tissues.

As for what's happening on the set,

Perle
Old 07-19-2003, 01:18 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by filledeperle
I was wondering when would this subject come up around here!

I'd like to see it. Its going to be in both Aramaic and Hebrew with no subtitles, so it would be neat to see.
I also read that the crucifixion scene is going to be quite graphic, since Mel doesn't think other movies showed it in accurate portrayal. I think I'll be a little freaked by that.

I have a feeling this is going to be an emotional movie where we'd have to bring a lot of tissues.

As for what's happening on the set,

Perle
As for what happened on the set, I'd have to see it. But this movie sounds very interesting. I'll have to say there's never been a movie that even came close to encompassing what I believe of Christ yet. Do you all have any?
Old 07-19-2003, 02:17 AM   #11
New Yorker

I'm led to believe Mel's branch of Catholicism is a bit on the extreme side.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:31 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig
I'm led to believe Mel's branch of Catholicism is a bit on the extreme side.
Based on many other things I've read about Mel, I think that he puts his faith in Christ rather than the church.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:43 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

As for what happened on the set, I'd have to see it. But this movie sounds very interesting. I'll have to say there's never been a movie that even came close to encompassing what I believe of Christ yet. Do you all have any?
Well, according to what I've read in this article and many others, if something's not supported by the Bible, it won't be in this movie. If what you believe about Christ is what's written in the Bible, then you'll probably love this movie.

There are many movies about Christ that I love very much, for different reasons. I'll make a couple of recommendations for ya.

"Jesus Of Nazareth" - 6 hour miniseries. Very Biblical. Does have a couple of side stories that didn't happen in the Bible, but they don't detract from anything the Bible says. Excellent movie, very touching.

"The Judas Project" - a movie about Jesus, if he came in modern times instead of back then. A couple of the actors' performances aren't all that great, and the special effects look like they came out of Raiders Of The Lost Ark (kinda dated), but the story is great. The actors that portray Jesus and Judas are incredible! Shows Jesus' love for humanity like no movie ever has. This movie has a funeral scene for Jesus, which is very touching and moving.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:09 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Based on many other things I've read about Mel, I think that he puts his faith in Christ rather than the church.
Why do you say this? And is anything you've read about him available online - I'd be interested in reading it if so.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:12 AM   #15
New Yorker

He puts his faith in a sect of Catholicism that is oposed to the reforms of the 2nd Vatican Council. His dad in particular sounds quite, er, hard line?

From IMDB.com

A New York Times Sunday magazine article due to appear on March 9 will report that The Passion, a movie about the last 12 hours in Christ's life being produced and directed by Mel Gibson, will reflect Gibson's ultra-traditional Catholicism. Christopher Noxon, who wrote the piece, interviewed the star's father, Hutton Gibson, who has called Pope John Paul II "Garrulous Karolus, the Koran kisser" and has denied that the Holocaust ever happened. The Times article says that the movie may revive the charge that the Jews killed Christ. Gary Giuffré, a friend of the actor who holds his traditionalist beliefs, told the Times that the $25-million movie, which Gibson is personally financing, will "lay the blame for the death of Christ where it belongs."

That said, I've heard generally good things about the film itself...