Mel Gibson To Produce Holocaust Miniseries - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Mel Gibson To Produce Holocaust Miniseries

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/ar...eCUVey4MPzHxnw

"Mr. Gibson's father, Hutton Gibson, has repeatedly denied that the Holocaust happened, saying before the release of "Passion of the Christ," for example, that accounts of the Holocaust were mostly "fiction" and asserting that there were more Jews in Europe after World War II than before. Mel Gibson has declined to disassociate himself clearly from his father's views, according to Rafael Medoff, director of the David S. Wyman Institute for Holocaust Studies in Melrose Park, Pa., and the author of an annual study of Holocaust denial.

"For him to be associated with this movie is cause for concern," Mr. Medoff said. "He needs to come clean that he repudiates Holocaust denial, and that he understands the Holocaust was not just another atrocity that occurred in World War II along with other atrocities."

Reached at his home in West Virginia today, Hutton Gibson declined to discuss his views on the Holocaust. As to his son's project, he said, "I have no idea what he's doing, and frankly, it's none of my business."

........... "Reached at her home in Newport Beach, Ms. Van Beek, who said she was in her early 80's, said she had not seen Mr. Gibson's last movie because it seemed "too traumatic."

"I don't know him, all I know is he's a staunch Catholic, and the people who saved our lives are Catholic," she said. "I respect everybody's beliefs."

"I know his father doesn't believe in the Holocaust - but maybe when there's money involved, maybe they don't care," she added. "His father will probably say this is not real, this is a novel."

Old 12-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Mel Gibson To Produce Holocaust Miniseries

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
[url]
Reached at his home in West Virginia today, Hutton Gibson declined to discuss his views on the Holocaust. As to his son's project, he said, "I have no idea what he's doing, and frankly, it's none of my business."
exactly. and the opposite is also true. and both ways are true for the media.

There are a gazillion things my dad says and believes in that I probably think are total shit. Why does the media feel Mel owes them some sort of explanation for his stupid father's behavior?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Mel Gibson has declined to disassociate himself clearly from his father's views, according to Rafael Medoff
Actually, Gibson has. But for the sake of controversy, it is always easy to say "he didn't do enough".
Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

He has? When? I don't recall him doing that when Passion Of The Christ was released.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

They are hanging their hats on Mel Gibson's statements that he would not get into a public argument with his father.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
They are hanging their hats on Mel Gibson's statements that he would not get into a public argument with his father.

no -- Gibson said that his father has never told him a lie.

that's where the issue is.

what do i actually think? i don't really care. i think Gibson is a decent actor, a very good director, who's completely bat-shit insane and has some sort of fetish for graphic violence for the sake of graphic violence. lots of beautiful men getting tortured by other men, often with their faces covered ... hmmmm ...

i shudder to think of all the 8 year olds who have been traumatized by the gore of "the passion" who were dragged to that movie by their parents.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
... i think Gibson is a decent actor, a very good director, who's completely bat-shit insane...
Heh! Thank you for that. I was going to post something along these lines although not quite that blunt. I think Mel Gibson is kind of a wacko who happens to be a movie star which has allowed him the means to thrust his views upon the public. The success of Last Temptation has only encouraged him to continue with the Holocaust as his next target. I hate to think how graphic he will manage to make this film.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 AM   #8
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:43 AM
If the film is really based on the life of Flory van Beek, as the article says, I doubt it will be all that graphic, since she spent the war in hiding in Rotterdam, and was never in a camp. I think it will probably be a good movie.

My guess is that if there were any potentially dubious motives involved in Gibson's company taking on this story, it has to do with the Catholic interest angle. Mel does have a bit of a thing about a Jewish plot to smear Catholics with bad PR over the Holocaust.
Quote:
Because modern secular Judaism wants to blame the Holocaust on the Catholic Church. And it's a lie. And it's revisionism. And they've been working on that one for a while.

---Mel Gibson in The New Yorker, Sept 15 2003
He was also dumb enough to tell the same reporter, with reference to Frank Rich who wrote a column accusing Passion of anti-Semitic overtones, that "I want his intestines on a stick...I want to kill his dog." So, I am inclined to agree that Mel has a few screws loose somewhere.

However, it's not clear that Gibson himself had much involvement in this decision, nor that he will have much involvement in the final product. And I for one am always in favor of more occasions to honor those who risked their own lives to save Jews from the Nazis. Hasidei Ummot ha-Olam
Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Hasidei Ummot ha-Olam
Please pardon my ignorance, can you tell me what that means? I assume it's Hebrew. It is beautiful and I was just curious.

I love reading your posts yolland, they are always so articulate and reasonable. You are also unfailingly polite around here.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Is that the "righteous gentiles"?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:43 AM
^ That's right; more literally "the righteous (Hasidei) of the nations (Ummot)of the world (ha-Olam)." This is a phrase and concept invoked repeatedly in the Talmud, most famously in one of the few passages explicitly endorsing belief in an afterlife: "And the righteous of all the nations of the world shall have a share in the world to come."

Of course, the concept has nothing intrinsic to do with helping out Jews; there are many ways to be "righteous." But since the Holocaust--and in particular, since the state of Israel's decision to commemorate non-Jews who saved Jews from the Nazis in its national Holocaust memorial--the phrase has come to have special meaning with reference to these particular non-Jews. There is a lovely garden and monument dedicated to them at the memorial in Jerusalem, where more than 20,000 "righteous gentiles" have either a tree or a plaque (they ran out of space for trees!) in commemoration of their names.

On Yom ha-Shoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day, many synagogues, including my own, light candles in honor of Hasidei Ummot ha-Olam.

Thanks for the praise, MrsS--there really needs to be a nonsexual "blushing" smilie...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I think we've got more than Mel Gibson to worry about....

Iran's president questions Holocaust

Quote:
"Some European countries insist on saying that Hitler killed millions of innocent Jews in furnaces and they insist on it to the extent that if anyone proves something contrary to that they condemn that person and throw them in jail," IRNA quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.

"Although we don't accept this claim, if we suppose it is true, our question for the Europeans is: is the killing of innocent Jewish people by Hitler the reason for their support to the occupiers of Jerusalem?" he said.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think we've got more than Mel Gibson to worry about....

agreed.

it's amazing how the Iraq debacle has emboldened Iran's nutjobs.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes - the Iranian President is one scary motherfucker.

But you know, Benjamin Netanyahu has stated that Israel should consider a preemptive strike agains Iran as it soon will have nuclear capabilities.

So who is right?

The world is a scary place.

I think if there were no media, none of this would be happening.

As for Mel Gibson, I can name a large number of gentiles that I would rather see prduce a film about the holocaust.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Pakistan is anti-Israel and they have nukes

There are many former Soviet - stan countries with anti-Israel leanings that have nuke abilities.

Sharon and Perez move to reach a Palestinian settlement will do much more than any strike on Iran for Israeli security.

The U S has spent 300 billion? on Iraq.

If we had spent 30 billion on Palestine, building up their infrastructure and schools, hospitals and economy the U. S. and Israel would be at much, much less risk of terror.

There can be an economic/ trade inter-dependence with Israel/ U. S. / Palestinian State that will serve all parties better than what we have been doing. Piling bodies on top of more bodies.

and btw, mel gibson is a messianic nut job/ with anti-Semitic leanings.