Mel Gibson To Produce Holocaust Miniseries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BrownEyedBoy said:
So drinking and running your mouth off offenind people is a hate crime now? You should go out on a saturday night you´ll see all kinds of hate crimes. Oh yeah, go to the stadium and watch any game were beers are being sold. Thousands of hate crimes right there.

You don't get it, I'm referring to your blanket statement regarding personal preferences and comparing anti-Semitism to Coke and Pepsi. That is what you were doing isn't it? At least that's the way it came across.

And drinking doesn't make someone an anti-Semite, and is certainly no excuse for the hateful words he used either. It certainly does affect everyone else. Did Hitler just have a "personal preference"? I'm not comparing Mel to Hitler, just asking you.

I honestly don´t see Mel doing all the things Hitler did any time soon. So whatever he thinks is really his POV and he can do whatever he wants with it.

All I´m trying to say is that since he´s a public figure that´s why we´ve spent 16 thread pages discussing his personal preferences. Even if you do manage to force Mel to change his views you´ll still have other "anti-semites" in the world that you haven´t heard of because they´re not millionaire actors/directors.

So, yeah, I stick by what I said that you´re blowing this completely out of proportion.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I honestly don´t see Mel doing all the things Hitler did any time soon. So whatever he thinks is really his POV and he can do whatever he wants with it.

All I´m trying to say is that since he´s a public figure that´s why we´ve spent 16 thread pages discussing his personal preferences. Even if you do manage to force Mel to change his views you´ll still have other "anti-semites" in the world that you haven´t heard of because they´re not millionaire actors/directors.

So, yeah, I stick by what I said that you´re blowing this completely out of proportion.

Well maybe some of us don't tolerate hate as much as you do.

BrownEyedBoy said:

He's a public figure, but his actions and outbursts represent the attitudes of a LOT of "normal" people, unfortunately.

Personally, I think blaming the booze is a rather half-ass excuse. In my experience, alcohol doesn't change people's views, it only instigates them. You get to see people act out what they really believe without hiding behind their facade of knowing they are wrong.

I won't go so far as to label Gibson an anti-Semite, since I've really only read the last few posts of this thread and that's a very harsh accusation to make on a whim, but I do think your logic makes no sense. Someone can't be held accountable for being for or against something until they demonstrate the level of hate/commitment that Hitler has?

Racism is not defined by actions, but attitudes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well maybe some of us don't tolerate hate as much as you do.

You'll tolerate comedians who say that the love black people but hate niggers (Chris Rock) or WetBack Mountain (Mencia)

Dont say oh well there comedians so it's ok. Racial callinig should never be tolerated. Cause remember young people watch these stand up comedians.

Or is it only ok to say these words if your joking?

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

You'll tolerate comedians who say that the love black people but hate niggers (Chris Rock) or WetBack Mountain (Mencia)

Dont say oh well there comedians so it's ok. Racial callinig should never be tolerated. Cause remember young people watch these stand up comedians.

Or is it only ok to say these words if your joking?

I've already made my point on this.:|

Justin24 said:
Can you show me it.

I'm quoting from another thread:

As much as I don't always like jokes based on stereotypes, it's fair game when you're also self-deprecating to your own sex or race. It's an act, usually fair game to all races and it's meant to be observational and humorous, not for someone to feel inferior.

It still does not make a difference. Whether there making fun of there own race or not.

Why would they if there making millions. So Mel Gibson goes on a drunken Rant and now the world hates him. Mencia, Rock, Chappelle Andrew Dice Clay, etc.... Spew the same shit and there funny and nothing wrong with that. Way to set your priorities. You all must hate Catholics.

And since you want to follow the ways of Jesus, what happened to forgivness and loving your brothers and sisters. (Example Mel Gibson)

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
Why would they if there making millions. So Mel Gibson goes on a drunken Rant and now the world hates him. Mencia, Rock, Chappelle Andrew Dice Clay, etc.... Spew the same shit and there funny and nothing wrong with that. Way to set your priorities. You all must hate Catholics.

You missed my point. When Chris Rock makes these comments does he hate black people? Including himself?

When Mel goes on a rant about Jews causing every war, does he hate?

I could give you answers if you'd like? Here's a clue, one is 'yes', one is 'no'.

Justin24 said:

And since you want to follow the ways of Jesus, what happened to forgivness and loving your brothers and sisters. (Example Mel Gibson)

Have I anywhere said I haven't forgiven anyone? That doesn't mean he doesn't need to be held responsible for his actions.

So yes he is a racist. So I am going to now say all comedians are Racist.

You didn't anwer my question since you into forgiving.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Have I anywhere said I haven't forgiven anyone? That doesn't mean he doesn't need to be held responsible for his actions.

So so should comedians, especially when the youth listens to them

Justin24 said:
So yes he is a racist. So I am going to now say all comedians are Racist.

You didn't anwer my question since you into forgiving.

That doesn't even make sense.

And yes I answered, it's just in a different post for you added it later.

Justin24 said:

So so should comedians, especially when the youth listens to them

Should artist be responsible for what they say to an audience that isn't suppose to be listening?

If something is R, TV-MA, etc I don't think there should be any responsibility to the audience it's not intended for.

You are calling Mel a Racist over a drunken rant. Why should comedians get away with it???

Justin24 said:
You are calling Mel a Racist over a drunken rant. Why should comedians get away with it???

because Mel Gibson wasn't trying to make a point through irony, sarcasm, satire, or humor; Chris Rock et al are.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Should artist be responsible for what they say to an audience that isn't suppose to be listening?

If something is R, TV-MA, etc I don't think there should be any responsibility to the audience it's not intended for.

Poor Mel Being hounded by the Hounds of Baskerville (of liberal america) where it's ok to make racial slurs if your of another color and are doing it for comedy). A man who was not right in mind and depress gets attacked from all sides.

Irvine511 said:

because Mel Gibson wasn't trying to make a point through irony, sarcasm, satire, or humor; Chris Rock et al are.

Like I said though he was in a drunken state, and in depression at the time.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Well for every Mel Gibson, there's at least one private person who is an anti-Semite or a racist. So from that perspective it certainly does matter and that alone makes it worth discussing. And forcing him to change his views is not the point. Racist and anti Semitic and sexist "POV's" certainly do matter to me. And no, he can't "do whatever he wants with it", he can't hate Jewish people and say those things about them. Not very Christian of him, to say the least. He certainly can't act on those beliefs, it's generally frowned upon and in most cases illegal to do so.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. Seems to me I heard that somewhere. It might even be posted at a concentration camp.

And I personally think it's pathetic that Mel Gibson won't own up to his prejudice and prefers instead to blame it on his alcoholism. I would actually have much more respect for him if he would own up to the bigotry rather than using his drinking as a reason, excuse-whatever you want to call it.

Justin24 said:

Poor Mel Being hounded by the Hounds of Baskerville (of liberal america) where it's ok to make racial slurs if your of another color and are doing it for comedy). A man who was not right in mind and depress gets attacked from all sides.

Oh this is complete an utter bullshit!!! No one spats out racist, anti-semetic, homophobic etc comments just because they are drunk or depressed.

Unless those feeling are already there.

And liberal America? Come on. I guess it says a lot about conservative America when they don't give a shit about racism.

MrsSpringsteen said:

And I personally think it's pathetic that Mel Gibson won't own up to his prejudice and prefers instead to blame it on his alcoholism. I would actually have much more respect for him if he would own up to the bigotry rather than using his drinking as a reason, excuse-whatever you want to call it.

Do you Hate Mel Gibson?? Do you go to Comedy Jams and laugh when they make Sexist Jokes, Racial Jokes????

I know I do so does that make me anti-semite, Racist or Sexist.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh this is complete an utter bullshit!!! No one spats out racist, anti-semetic, homophobic etc comments just because they are drunk or depressed.

Unless those feeling are already there.

And liberal America? Come on. I guess it says a lot about conservative America when they don't give a shit about racism.

The only people who give a fuck about racism is people who let it get to them. When I hear someone call me a dirty mexican I just laugh it off and say no I am half Guatemalan. Thats problem with this world. We have turned into a punch of fucking pussies.

And how about you get piss drunk and see what shit you or anyone of you will say.

Justin24 said:

Do you Hate Mel Gibson?? Do you go to Comedy Jams and laugh when they make Sexist Jokes, Racial Jokes????

I know I do so does that make me anti-semite, Racist or Sexist.

No I don't hate Mel, I hate anti-Semitism. And no I don't find racist or sexist jokes to be funny. I tend to like humor that isn't at the expense of anyone's religion, race, or gender.

MrsSpringsteen said:

No I don't hate Mel, I hate anti-Semitism. And no I don't find racist or sexist jokes to be funny. I tend to like humor that isn't at the expense of anyone's religion, race, or gender.

It dosen't matter because he or she could be talking about you.

So your against it yet you find it humorous. Is there any scientific fact that says you dont say things when your drunk?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom