Mel Gibson To Produce Holocaust Miniseries - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #241
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:10 PM

Old 10-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #242
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
So drinking and running your mouth off offenind people is a hate crime now? You should go out on a saturday night you´ll see all kinds of hate crimes. Oh yeah, go to the stadium and watch any game were beers are being sold. Thousands of hate crimes right there.
You don't get it, I'm referring to your blanket statement regarding personal preferences and comparing anti-Semitism to Coke and Pepsi. That is what you were doing isn't it? At least that's the way it came across.

And drinking doesn't make someone an anti-Semite, and is certainly no excuse for the hateful words he used either. It certainly does affect everyone else. Did Hitler just have a "personal preference"? I'm not comparing Mel to Hitler, just asking you.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I honestly don´t see Mel doing all the things Hitler did any time soon. So whatever he thinks is really his POV and he can do whatever he wants with it.

All I´m trying to say is that since he´s a public figure that´s why we´ve spent 16 thread pages discussing his personal preferences. Even if you do manage to force Mel to change his views you´ll still have other "anti-semites" in the world that you haven´t heard of because they´re not millionaire actors/directors.

So, yeah, I stick by what I said that you´re blowing this completely out of proportion.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #244
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I honestly don´t see Mel doing all the things Hitler did any time soon. So whatever he thinks is really his POV and he can do whatever he wants with it.

All I´m trying to say is that since he´s a public figure that´s why we´ve spent 16 thread pages discussing his personal preferences. Even if you do manage to force Mel to change his views you´ll still have other "anti-semites" in the world that you haven´t heard of because they´re not millionaire actors/directors.

So, yeah, I stick by what I said that you´re blowing this completely out of proportion.
Well maybe some of us don't tolerate hate as much as you do.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:

He's a public figure, but his actions and outbursts represent the attitudes of a LOT of "normal" people, unfortunately.

Personally, I think blaming the booze is a rather half-ass excuse. In my experience, alcohol doesn't change people's views, it only instigates them. You get to see people act out what they really believe without hiding behind their facade of knowing they are wrong.

I won't go so far as to label Gibson an anti-Semite, since I've really only read the last few posts of this thread and that's a very harsh accusation to make on a whim, but I do think your logic makes no sense. Someone can't be held accountable for being for or against something until they demonstrate the level of hate/commitment that Hitler has?

Racism is not defined by actions, but attitudes.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well maybe some of us don't tolerate hate as much as you do.
You'll tolerate comedians who say that the love black people but hate niggers (Chris Rock) or WetBack Mountain (Mencia)

Dont say oh well there comedians so it's ok. Racial callinig should never be tolerated. Cause remember young people watch these stand up comedians.

Or is it only ok to say these words if your joking?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #247
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

You'll tolerate comedians who say that the love black people but hate niggers (Chris Rock) or WetBack Mountain (Mencia)

Dont say oh well there comedians so it's ok. Racial callinig should never be tolerated. Cause remember young people watch these stand up comedians.

Or is it only ok to say these words if your joking?
I've already made my point on this.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Can you show me it.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #249
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Can you show me it.
I'm quoting from another thread:

Quote:
As much as I don't always like jokes based on stereotypes, it's fair game when you're also self-deprecating to your own sex or race. It's an act, usually fair game to all races and it's meant to be observational and humorous, not for someone to feel inferior.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It still does not make a difference. Whether there making fun of there own race or not.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #251
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It still does not make a difference. Whether there making fun of there own race or not.
So you think they hate themselves?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Why would they if there making millions. So Mel Gibson goes on a drunken Rant and now the world hates him. Mencia, Rock, Chappelle Andrew Dice Clay, etc.... Spew the same shit and there funny and nothing wrong with that. Way to set your priorities. You all must hate Catholics.

And since you want to follow the ways of Jesus, what happened to forgivness and loving your brothers and sisters. (Example Mel Gibson)
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #253
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Why would they if there making millions. So Mel Gibson goes on a drunken Rant and now the world hates him. Mencia, Rock, Chappelle Andrew Dice Clay, etc.... Spew the same shit and there funny and nothing wrong with that. Way to set your priorities. You all must hate Catholics.
You missed my point. When Chris Rock makes these comments does he hate black people? Including himself?

When Mel goes on a rant about Jews causing every war, does he hate?

I could give you answers if you'd like? Here's a clue, one is 'yes', one is 'no'.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #254
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And since you want to follow the ways of Jesus, what happened to forgivness and loving your brothers and sisters. (Example Mel Gibson)
Have I anywhere said I haven't forgiven anyone? That doesn't mean he doesn't need to be held responsible for his actions.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So yes he is a racist. So I am going to now say all comedians are Racist.

You didn't anwer my question since you into forgiving.