MegaChurches and Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just don't get this churches closing on Christmas day!
I really don't.
7-11s stay open, requiring people to staff the places, probably most of them are Christians, no, given that we're allegedly a 80-90% Christian nation?
why wouldn't it be a blessing to man the pews just in case the congregation actually tore themselves away from the new xboxes long enough to celebrate the holiday's presumed purpose?
Isn't that a sacrifice "worth" making for the staff?
would it be too depressing to have half-filled pews? Oh darn, look how demoralizing; it wasn't a 'sold out' show for the Lord?
Are they run like for-profits now, with a cost-benefit analysis to decide whether opening the doors is 'worth' it?
With their megachurch resources, will they consider taping a service, putting it on DVD, and selling them around Thanksgiving time, like the local RiteAids (are they open on christmas?) sell christmas tunes on CD, so that each individual family can at least consume their christmas 'message' while consuming their new electronics and big dinners?

anyway, that saddleback place surely has a nice-looking congregation...hope they get a good turnout for their christmas day services!

cheers all...

Many churches have their services on Christmas Eve. Believe me, the pastoral staff and lay leadership evaluate this need and make a decision accordingly.

oops. sorry. I came late to the party and didn't see that thread...
I was particularly struck by this quote from the original article on that thread:
"If our target and our mission is to reach the unchurched, basically the people who don't go to church, how likely is it that they'll be going to church on Christmas morning?" she said.
Christmas Day is one of the only days of the year that I feel an urge to go to a church (admittedly midnight mass has always been an appealing concept to me too, so they can still 'serve' me the day before I guess...)
Can't they just assume it'll be a light turn-out and plan accordingly staffwise? But to not have services?

cheers!

U2Scot said:
This one will have a service Xmas day. Happy ?

I'd actually be happier if none of them had services at all, but that's just me.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom