Meet Your Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
steak.jpg

:drool:

First off, I'm glad someone posted something about Peta. Not that I'm crazy about them, but because animal rights are things we don't discuss very often.

I do wonder though, how everyone in Peta can be a vegetarian. This video was sad to watch. I would think that our will to survive would be threatened if everyone was a vegetarian. How would we have enough food? Where and how would we get enough food?

I don't know how I would give up meat, but I do think killing an animal for fur is pretty vicious. According to Pam Anderson, the animals are anally electricuted. (ouch!)

:| :huh:

Macfistowannabe said:

I do wonder though, how everyone in Peta can be a vegetarian. This video was sad to watch. I would think that our will to survive would be threatened if everyone was a vegetarian. How would we have enough food? Where and how would we get enough food?

i'm not going to watch the video, because i've seen these things before, and all they do is keep me awake at night.

that said, i think that if everyone were vegetarian -- i'm not, but i wish i could be ... i don't eat beef, though -- the world would be a vastly better place. simply, it takes one pound of grain to make one pound of bread, and 10 pounds of grain to make one pound of beef. also, livestock animals produce immense amounts of waste (piss and shit, basically) that then get into our lakes, rivers, and streams. this is why i don't eat beef. in addition to being a rather fatty source of protein, cows are the biggest culprits when it comes to waste pollution and consumption of grain. and it makes you fat.

while i would never criticize someone for eating beef, i do wish we made better decisions as consumers. just because soemthing is available, and you can afford it, doesn't mean that 1) you deserve it, 2) you need it, 3) you have some sort of inalienable right to it. it's like SUVs -- i can see the use, especially in the snow. but why anyone in southern california or florida needs a 13mpg HumVee is beyond me. i would never pull an "Earth First!" and smash up the windows, but they do disturb me since its such an obvious waste.

i also think we don't realize just how much our decisions to consume certain products affect other people. sure, you enjoy driving your gigantic SUV, and you might tell youself, "well, my kids are safer in an SUV!" lovely. what about the poor woman in the 1993 Honda Civic who you roll over? what about the hours i have to spend waiting in traffic because i have to drive on an overcrowded road that was never designed to hold an army of mini-tanks shuttling children from one activity to the next? don't you see that your horribly fuel-ineffecient cars is depleting natural resources rapidly, is causing politicians to support horrible ideas like drililng in ANWAR, and providing yet another impetus to go to war with certain Middle Eastern countries?

yes, it is a free country; i just wish we were more conscious of how we consume.

anyway, back to vegetarianism ... like abortion and the death penalty, this does not concern me morally. i don't view it as moral or immoral to eat animals -- but i do think it makes much more sense to be vegetarian.

peta is a nutjob organization, this is propaganda of the worst of the worst made to look like this sort of animal abuse is the common thing.

Cattle are skinned while fully conscious! Haha, what a bunch of bullshit! Anyone who's dealt with a dying animal knows that this just isn't something that's done. First off, a dying animal is usually extremely dangerous- especially somethign the size of cattle. Second off; why the hell would someone try to skin a live animal? It'd be moving, kicking...ect. Maybe the people at PETA don't know that when something dies, it's nerves make limbs jump all over the place and twitch. Sorry, this doesn't mean that the chicken/pig/cow are still alive. I suppose by their logic, when a chicken gets it head cut off and starts running around, it's still fully consious even without a central nervous system. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm off to pick up my groceries, some steaks, eggs, milk and pork roasts :wink:

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
while i would never criticize someone for eating beef, i do wish we made better decisions as consumers. just because soemthing is available, and you can afford it, doesn't mean that

1) you deserve it
2) you need it
3) you have some sort of inalienable right to it

it's like SUVs -- i can see the use, especially in the snow.

yes, it is a free country; i just wish we were more conscious of how we consume.

anyway, back to vegetarianism ... like abortion and the death penalty, this does not concern me morally. i don't view it as moral or immoral to eat animals -- but i do think it makes much more sense to be vegetarian.
I think those from Peta would definately see this as a moral issue, just speaking for them. Good points have been made about consumerism, and I think you're totally right. On a different thread, I was given the link to a debate between an atheist scientist and a Christian philosopher (theology and science aren't exactly the point here). The scientist believes that vegetables have a moral right not be be eaten, and that mountains have a moral right not to have tunnels built in them. He believes that it contradicts with our moral right to survive.

I don't exactly believe in what the guy has to say, but I thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought about how we consume just because we can. It all comes down to this question: Is this extra hamburger that I want really necessary? I've already fulfilled my needs for survival with a meal, and I'm actually debating on whether this cow was killed in order to support my lust after another hamburger or to meet the needs of the next guy in line who's stomach is growling.

Keocmb said:
For those of you thinking about becoming a vegetarian or those of you (like me) still eating meat. Here's something to consider.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=mym2002

Beware, this video is really very disturbing.
Instead of becoming a vegetarian you could chose to eat ecologic produced meat. At least the animals will have a better life.

I had a agricultural education and i know that all those things happen, i did cutt the balls of little porks,. ..i worked in a leg chicken farm for a year and all those awfull things do happen. I am ashamed of it now and i would be glad that everyone would watch that video.

We are only borrow this world from our children and we giving it back broken.

i was afraid this was about

Arnold's old pick-up lines, whew

red meat is killing us

talk to any M D

heart disease, coronary disease, hyper tension

keep pounding the big macs

they are pounding your heart

we can kill the cows first
but they win in the end

and then there is always this
Six cows in U.S. traced to diseased herd from Canada

BY JEANNINE OTTO

SVN NEWS REPORTER

An official from the Illinois Beef Association voiced doubt today about whether a ban on Canadian cattle should be lifted after it was announced that U.S. officials are tracing six cows shipped into the U.S. from the same herd in Canada as a cow with mad cow disease.

"I think the industry's position is that we have got to have a lot more answers before that ban can be lifted," said Marilee Johnson, executive vice president of the Illinois Beef Association.

Johnson said a ban on feeding ruminant animals feed containing cattle remains has been voluntary in the United States since 1996 and mandatory since 1997. In Canada the ban has been mandatory since 1997. The fact that the most recent animal found with the brain-wasting disease is younger than that ban raises more concerns.

"The industry has great concern over whether their feed ban is being enforced," Johnson said. "We feel strongly that it's one of the important firewalls we have."

I was a vegetarian for 18 years, but I recently got over it. Now I eat organic meat produced under humane conditions and I feel much better. A vegetarian diet for so many years left me nutritionally depleted in ways I cannot even begin to get into--and I was "good" vegetarian; I ate really well. It wasn't the right diet for me, I know that now. But others may do just fine as a vegetarian. Everyone's different.

I was vegetarian for 16 years, until the birth of my first child and couldn't replace the iron quickly enough.

I haven't watched the video, I can't watch that sort of thing but I would like to ramble in general :wink:

Theres a couple of different arguments as to if you are gong to eat animals, which meat should it be:

1) fish and other animals further down the food chain ie the animals perceived to be not very bright nor emotional / affectionate

or

2) cows and other large animals because you can get more meals for the one death.

Whats your opinion on this. 1) or 2) or another option?

i once heard someone say, "i'm a vegetarian unless it looks really good."

i thought that was priceless.

i don't eat cute animals. like bunnies and stuff.

:eyebrow:

Macfistowannabe said:

We'd have plenty of food, probably more than we do now.:huh:

I've been a vegiterian for 6 years. Sometimes it's a little difficult because restaurants don't exactly have the best choices for vegetarians but I make do. Of course you do have to rethink everything and learn how to replace those certain items missing out of your diet when you remove meat, but once you figure all that out it's pretty easy.

I'm healthier than I ever was that's for sure.

Irvine511 said:
i once heard someone say, "i'm a vegetarian unless it looks really good."

i thought that was priceless.

i don't eat cute animals. like bunnies and stuff.

:eyebrow:

You're missing out - Grilled with Rosemary seasoning or in a tomato-based stew with olives and onions ? Yum.

Early childhood memory of rabbit-insides apparently jumping from the kitchen counter onto the floor still lingers. I didn't know about nerve endings and such back then, I thought it was possessed.

Difference is my parents were brought up under conditions where hunting for meat was the only way they'd actually get to eat any meat, it kind of stuck with them even when they became more affluent later, witht he tables turnign and the rabbit/pheasant being the treat and the chicken/pork being more mundane

"Super Size Me" is a must-see though....I'll still have an occasional Taco Bell but most fast-food is now totally out of the question.

Do Miss America said:

I'm healthier than I ever was that's for sure.

That's what I used to say...until I turned 40. My nutritionist says he has never seen a truly healthy 40+ year old long-term vegetarian. Just make sure you supplement with amino acids because all the food combining in the world can still leave vegetarians depleted, and when you're missing one thing there is a whole chain reaction. That's where I went wrong: not enough aminos. I have been trying to reverse 18 years of damage for the last 4 years and my bloodwork is steadily improving. And eating meat again has me sleeping well for the first time 18 years!!

Okay, that's the end of my unsolicited advice. Too much meat can be very unhealthy, and no meat can be equally unhealthy in a different way.

I would guess that they are morally opposed to it, seeing that they call for the ethical treatment of animals.

Macfistowannabe said:
I would guess that they are morally opposed to it, seeing that they call for the ethical treatment of animals.

"PETA believes that animals have rights and deserve to have their best interests taken into consideration, regardless of whether they are useful to humans. Like you, they are capable of suffering and have an interest in leading their own lives; therefore, they are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or any other reason."

So, in Peta's world: No leather shoes (create more plastic/synthetics), more Polyester (ditto), no milk, no "Pet Star", no medical research involving animals (much better to use human "guniea pigs" ?) , no Football, no shining a flashlight on the ceiling and watching the stupid cat try and jump every single time, no bomb-sniffing dogs, no tracker dogs of any kind, etc etc

nbcrusader said:
So, killing a plant is okay?

And should we stop animals from killing other animals?

The Mountain Lions near us didn't get the PETA memo when it came to their encounter with the Mountain bikers.

Kill It and Grill It ~ a book by Ted Nugent

Even if you are a veggie, you still gotta cut the head off the cabbage.

In order to have life, something must die.

The Cross of Christ shines through all of this.

"Moderation in all things." ~Saint Paul

Last edited:
cardosino said:

"PETA believes that animals have rights and deserve to have their best interests taken into consideration, regardless of whether they are useful to humans. Like you, they are capable of suffering and have an interest in leading their own lives; therefore, they are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or any other reason."

So, in Peta's world: No leather shoes (create more plastic/synthetics), more Polyester (ditto), no milk, no "Pet Star", no medical research involving animals (much better to use human "guniea pigs" ?) , no Football, no shining a flashlight on the ceiling and watching the stupid cat try and jump every single time, no bomb-sniffing dogs, no tracker dogs of any kind, etc etc
No milk? Well I guess that means taking antiacids, which can cause back pains. And no football, that's gotta piss some people off. I understand their cause, but it would be more appealing if they weren't so radical. They seem to compromise animal rights over the human right to survive.

joyfulgirl said:
Too much meat can be very unhealthy, and no meat can be equally unhealthy in a different way.
Your story is interesting, thanks for sharing it.

Macfistowannabe said:
No milk? Well I guess that means taking antiacids, which can cause back pains. And no football, that's gotta piss some people off. I understand their cause, but it would be more appealing if they weren't so radical. They seem to compromise animal rights over the human right to survive.

I agree...their tactics really make it hard to be supportive of what they're trying to accomplish.

I also might have a little more respect for PETA if I believed that the most outspoken cheerleaders TRULY practiced what they preach, consistently.

I find it interesting that Pamela Anderson, a long time PETA activist/official spokesperson, supported a boycot against Dale Earnhardt Jr over his KFC sponsorship and speaks out against things like animal testing, yet hosted an American Liver Foundation fundraiser in 2002....the ALF uses animals in testing potential cures for liver disease such as hepatitis C. Oh, that's right...she HAS hepatitis C and might benefit from a cure so its okay to overlook "some" animal testing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That is a little weird. I guess Pam wants the world to revolve around her, she just doesn't realize it yet.

cardosino said:
"Super Size Me" is a must-see though....I'll still have an occasional Taco Bell but most fast-food is now totally out of the question.
I really need to sit down and watch that. I used to shun fast food, but then I got myself a girlfriend four years ago (I'm proposing Jan 29! :love: ) and now I eat it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom