Meet Your Meat - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2005, 04:18 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
capital punishment for homicidal animals

"a fang for a fang"
priceless

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I understand their cause, but it would be more appealing if they weren't so radical.
Yes, I agree.

Personally I do not have any moral objections against eating meat. Keeping some of the horrible conditions of some of these animals in mind, I do try and buy mostly biological meat (I bet there's a better word for this) and I have cut down on my meat consumption. I think the official term for a person like myself would be a parttime vegetarian. I also try and avoid red meat and fat meat, for health reasons.

On the subject of veganism and vergetarianism, you don't have to worry about health problems as long as you make sure you eat enough food that contains Vitamine-B, iron and proteins. If you're a vegan, you probably won't be getting enough Vitamine B12, which vegetarians get from cheese and milk, so they probably have to take a pill for that.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:37 PM
i don't really like milk, so i might be biased -- but, honestly, whoever looked at a cow and said, "you see those things hanging between it's legs? i'm going to squeeze them, and then drink whatever comes out!"

drinking milk is weird. to me. think about it.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:37 PM
dr_teeth
Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i don't really like milk, so i might be biased -- but, honestly, whoever looked at a cow and said, "you see those things hanging between it's legs? i'm going to squeeze them, and then drink whatever comes out!"

drinking milk is weird. to me. think about it.
Well, "they" realized milk was a naturally occuring substance in mammals, so they just took it a step further.

The one that REALLY gets me is Bird's Nest Soup. What thought process thinks "hmmmm, bird saliva......tasty......." ?

It's not even very good.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:37 AM
I was force fed bird's nest soup as a kid but my siblings are crazy about it. Chinese people
They'd eat anything! Like, tiger penises.

4a
Old 01-21-2005, 05:44 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 AM
I have no problem with killing and preparing an animal to eat, I think it goes back to when I was a kid and I was on holiday up on my relatives farm where we caught and skinned rabbits for eating with steel traps, if you were squeemish you wound up just mangling the poor animal, quick and painless followed by rabbit stew - very tasty.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Well, that's what I mean. Hunting and eating is still okay by me. But imagine if those rabbits were on a conveyor belt of death :P and didn't have the chance to prance around before being caught unawares.

foray
Old 01-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #53
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Dr teef I was thinking more about iron. I'm chronically deficient and am forcing myself to eat more red meat. Like you, I'm probably a part timer as well - but I only really eat white meat. Red is not cutting it. But since your advice on olive oil and steak, I'm learning Naturally a couple of slabs of cow wont fix an iron deficiency, but every little bit helps.

I have a question I was pondering since last night and I could google this to find out but who's really game enough to attempt this search string anyway? Anyway the question is, aren't dairy cows not actually lactating mother bovines? I'd assume in nature dairy cows dont give off such large volumes of milk and something is fed to these poor cows to assist in massive milk production, but it was my understanding that a hapless little calf isn't necessarily being deprived just to give us milk.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:37 PM
I don't eat red meat. Not because of any political reason but because of health reasons. I was 21 fit and trim and diagnosed with extremely high cholesterol, I mean through the roof. So the doctor said if I came back in 6 months and it was still this high I'd be on meds. Well I try to avoid meds when possible. I'm fit and I excersise regularly. The only explanation was hereditary, well I'm adopted so I'm not sure. So that day I cut out all red meat and never had to go on meds.

So my question is anyone else on a diet like this and if so is there anything I need to look out for? I've been doing this for 6 years, no problems so far. People have told me mixed reviews, but am I missing certain vitamins?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #55
Jesus Online

I can be of no help at all as I am the exact opposite of you. My cholesterol is hovering around 2.7. I lack iron and cholesterol.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 AM
BVS, If you are female, there may not be enough iron in your diet. Especially if you give birth.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:45 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
BVS, If you are female, there may not be enough iron in your diet. Especially if you give birth.
Well not female but is RED meat(keep in mind I still eat white meat, I know that throws off many people even my parents) the only source of iron? I've heard different responses to this, and some from even doctors.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #58
Jesus Online

All meat contains iron. Nothing contains as much as red meat. My doctor asked me if I was veg when I got my last blood results back and I was about to say No when I had to think. I do only really eat white, but he said the iron in white meats is not enough. Vegetarians who are very careful about still getting everything they need are able to boost their diet with lots od legumes, lentils, beans and the like but it takes dedicated committment to get as much from these as from steak. Even lamb doesn't have as much iron as steak.
I've never eaten steak but it wasn't the cause of my near depleted iron levels. And meat alone wont help you that much. If you can arrange with a doctor to get a full blood count done, you'll get a much better idea. Before you do take any supplements, check what each supplement needs. Ferrous sulfate (iron) wont have much effect when only taken on it's own so if you do lack iron, you'll need other artificial supplements to boost it.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Red meat is the highest source of iron.

Awful, oops, offal is the highest source.

Then beef.

Then the white meats

Then spinach.

I think .
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #60
Jesus Online

spinach