Meet Your Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macfistowannabe said:
I really need to sit down and watch that. I used to shun fast food, but then I got myself a girlfriend four years ago (I'm proposing Jan 29! :love: ) and now I eat it all the time.

tsk, tsk, tsk...don't you want to have a nice long life together? I thought so! So keep your fangs (and her's too) off the fast food!
:wink:

And because I'm nosy...why the 29th?

uh...I guess I was working on this post while you were posting.... :)

Last edited:
cardosino said:
So, in Peta's world: No leather shoes (create more plastic/synthetics), more Polyester (ditto), no milk, no "Pet Star", no medical research involving animals (much better to use human "guniea pigs" ?) , no Football, no shining a flashlight on the ceiling and watching the stupid cat try and jump every single time, no bomb-sniffing dogs, no tracker dogs of any kind, etc etc

And no harvesting of crops, either. Rabbits, mice and other field animals all die in droves during the harvest.

indra said:
tsk, tsk, tsk...don't you want to have a nice long life together? I thought so! So keep your fangs (and her's too) off the fast food!
I plan to make it a daily appointment that we watch Super Size Me.

I just know that if I had to kill it to eat it, I'd be a vegetarian. :|
Yup, I'm a hypocrite. :rolleyes:

A_Wanderer said:
I do wonder is PETA in favour of wind power? because those big turbines kill a lot of birds.
Be careful about that wind power subject... now that's subject for a heated debate! :crack:

i am so surprised.. how one can be SO INSENSITIVE and GROSS...

yucks !!

I strictly avoided eating meat for 4 years between 1995 to 1999...
but today I have removed the word strictly.

I avoid meat as FAR as possible !! If I go to a restaurent alone, I never ORDER meat....amongs friends, I always tell I prefer anything VEG :drool:

the bottom line is no one is concerned unless it involves them or their pet..or something...

if it something elsewhere..its ok...yes its ok..

1) About veg diet being nutrionwise insufficient is RUBBISH..

2) Logic about killing plants same as killing animal is absurd argument. Have you ever seen how an animal dies just after its killed for meat ?

3) Logic about comparing killing animals for our meat to lion killing other animals...means...We ( me included...) are all animals like lion or whatever... right :|

I have nothing against people eating meat ( all my friends eat meat)... I too eat meat....but the explanation part.....please be more honest..

Most of us here eat meat..its ok (not moral ..not immoral) :) ...but request all not to justify it in a WAY that is simply not correct !!!

Hi. My rule of thumb is, I don't eat anything I couldn't kill with my bare hands. So I allow myself seafood. I think that makes me a pectotarian (sp?). Eventually, I'd like to become fully vegetarian but I'm slowly weaning myself off meat.

It would be arrogant of me to judge meateaters who haven't decided to follow "my" rule. However, I don't like it when meateaters turn to vegetarians and go, "So what, I have a clear conscience. Well, I'm off to pick up my groceries, some steaks, eggs, milk and pork roasts...."

Where's the respect.

Meateaters may think that eating meat is in our blood and it's the natural way of living; heck animals in the wild kill each other for meat, so why can't we, right? I agree, but I think the way we source our meat today is not natural at all. I don't like the way chickens are cooped up in an A4-sized area battery cage for one purpose only. I don't like the idea of cows being systematically bled, skinned and chopped up.

That's just me. I guess everyone will choose their own eating choices but I encourage the questioning.

foray

Slightly off the topic ..but I hate it when MEAT- EATER says..

"See I have become vegetarian for 20 days"

I am not making it up..it happened with one of my friends.

20 days !!!!!

And announcing that EACH and EVERY DAY that she has turned VEG only for 20 days ...and craving for MEAT every Friday of that 20 days when we have lunch together... ( along with other friends)

what did she try to prove..God only know :huh:

I can understand it if it is 6 months or 1 year..2 year or 5 year...

but 20 days...............

:huh:

everyone is a vegetarian between lunch and dinner...and anyway..for me...veg or non-veg is NOT a big deal...whatever u want..be honest..be consistent..know facts...dont make things up...eat whatever is LEGAL in ur nation :)..i dont have ANY problem with it..

about PETA..if it is not irritating or knocking door to door...or something like that..its ok.. else I dont like advice passed on to me....!!! "Hey AcrobatMan - this is XYZ, eat this to save that..or dont eat this to do prevent that". I hate such things.

Encouraging questioning yes. Friends and I were discussing the price of free range eggs once, and another friend who was in the middle of an animal science course piped up with some facts about free range eggs and how hens in these conditions suffer. I thought she was joking until she pointed out the pecking order dictates that a group of hens will only allow 12 I think it was, hens, and any more cause them to fight viciously. She then pointed out the other dangers of foxes and wild cats etc these free range hens face. Not really ideal either. She might have been talking about the Hawkesbury/Nepean region specifically, but I assume my locality is not unique and any region with rural trade has similar issues.

I would like to be a vegetarian, but health will not allow me to. There isn't enough lentils in this world to keep me fit and well. I reckon the facets of food production PETA are so admantly against disturb many of us, but the lack of availability in alternate food sources is a real issue. And complacency.

I remember one local politician who has same views as PETA as saying

"Drinking milk of another animal is like drinking blood"

I used to laugh at it for couple of years.. Now it makes some sense to me. :huh:

Its too hard for us to think like that and then survive...But laugh at me or call me crazy , she has a point..

And I am being hypocrite saying this and still will have tea with milk..that would have been for the young one of another animal.
:(

The survival technique...dont think too much :)..ignore and be selfish ....I am telling this to myself ...okay...

deep said:
capital punishment for homicidal animals

"a fang for a fang"

priceless :lol:

Macfistowannabe said:
I understand their cause, but it would be more appealing if they weren't so radical.

Yes, I agree. :yes:

Personally I do not have any moral objections against eating meat. Keeping some of the horrible conditions of some of these animals in mind, I do try and buy mostly biological meat (I bet there's a better word for this) and I have cut down on my meat consumption. I think the official term for a person like myself would be a parttime vegetarian. :wink: I also try and avoid red meat and fat meat, for health reasons.

On the subject of veganism and vergetarianism, you don't have to worry about health problems as long as you make sure you eat enough food that contains Vitamine-B, iron and proteins. If you're a vegan, you probably won't be getting enough Vitamine B12, which vegetarians get from cheese and milk, so they probably have to take a pill for that.

i don't really like milk, so i might be biased -- but, honestly, whoever looked at a cow and said, "you see those things hanging between it's legs? i'm going to squeeze them, and then drink whatever comes out!"

drinking milk is weird. to me. think about it.

Irvine511 said:
i don't really like milk, so i might be biased -- but, honestly, whoever looked at a cow and said, "you see those things hanging between it's legs? i'm going to squeeze them, and then drink whatever comes out!"

drinking milk is weird. to me. think about it.

Well, "they" realized milk was a naturally occuring substance in mammals, so they just took it a step further.

The one that REALLY gets me is Bird's Nest Soup. What thought process thinks "hmmmm, bird saliva......tasty......." ?

It's not even very good.

I was force fed bird's nest soup as a kid but my siblings are crazy about it. Chinese people :shame:
They'd eat anything! Like, tiger penises.

4a

I have no problem with killing and preparing an animal to eat, I think it goes back to when I was a kid and I was on holiday up on my relatives farm where we caught and skinned rabbits for eating with steel traps, if you were squeemish you wound up just mangling the poor animal, quick and painless followed by rabbit stew - very tasty.

Well, that's what I mean. Hunting and eating is still okay by me. But imagine if those rabbits were on a conveyor belt of death :p and didn't have the chance to prance around before being caught unawares.

foray

Dr teef I was thinking more about iron. I'm chronically deficient and am forcing myself to eat more red meat. Like you, I'm probably a part timer as well - but I only really eat white meat. Red is not cutting it. But since your advice on olive oil and steak, I'm learning :D Naturally a couple of slabs of cow wont fix an iron deficiency, but every little bit helps.

I have a question I was pondering since last night and I could google this to find out but who's really game enough to attempt this search string anyway? Anyway the question is, aren't dairy cows not actually lactating mother bovines? I'd assume in nature dairy cows dont give off such large volumes of milk and something is fed to these poor cows to assist in massive milk production, but it was my understanding that a hapless little calf isn't necessarily being deprived just to give us milk.
:confused:

I don't eat red meat. Not because of any political reason but because of health reasons. I was 21 fit and trim and diagnosed with extremely high cholesterol, I mean through the roof. So the doctor said if I came back in 6 months and it was still this high I'd be on meds. Well I try to avoid meds when possible. I'm fit and I excersise regularly. The only explanation was hereditary, well I'm adopted so I'm not sure. So that day I cut out all red meat and never had to go on meds.

So my question is anyone else on a diet like this and if so is there anything I need to look out for? I've been doing this for 6 years, no problems so far. People have told me mixed reviews, but am I missing certain vitamins?

beli said:
BVS, If you are female, there may not be enough iron in your diet. Especially if you give birth.

Well not female but is RED meat(keep in mind I still eat white meat, I know that throws off many people even my parents) the only source of iron? I've heard different responses to this, and some from even doctors.:huh:

All meat contains iron. Nothing contains as much as red meat. My doctor asked me if I was veg when I got my last blood results back and I was about to say No when I had to think. I do only really eat white, but he said the iron in white meats is not enough. Vegetarians who are very careful about still getting everything they need are able to boost their diet with lots od legumes, lentils, beans and the like but it takes dedicated committment to get as much from these as from steak. Even lamb doesn't have as much iron as steak.
I've never eaten steak but it wasn't the cause of my near depleted iron levels. And meat alone wont help you that much. If you can arrange with a doctor to get a full blood count done, you'll get a much better idea. Before you do take any supplements, check what each supplement needs. Ferrous sulfate (iron) wont have much effect when only taken on it's own so if you do lack iron, you'll need other artificial supplements to boost it.

Back
Top Bottom