Meet Your Meat - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i once heard someone say, "i'm a vegetarian unless it looks really good."

i thought that was priceless.

i don't eat cute animals. like bunnies and stuff.

You're missing out - Grilled with Rosemary seasoning or in a tomato-based stew with olives and onions ? Yum.

Early childhood memory of rabbit-insides apparently jumping from the kitchen counter onto the floor still lingers. I didn't know about nerve endings and such back then, I thought it was possessed.

Difference is my parents were brought up under conditions where hunting for meat was the only way they'd actually get to eat any meat, it kind of stuck with them even when they became more affluent later, witht he tables turnign and the rabbit/pheasant being the treat and the chicken/pork being more mundane

"Super Size Me" is a must-see though....I'll still have an occasional Taco Bell but most fast-food is now totally out of the question.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #17
War Child

Ugh.

If you don't like eating animals, don't.

Me, I'll continue to order my prime rib medium - nice RED inside.

Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

I'm healthier than I ever was that's for sure.
That's what I used to say...until I turned 40. My nutritionist says he has never seen a truly healthy 40+ year old long-term vegetarian. Just make sure you supplement with amino acids because all the food combining in the world can still leave vegetarians depleted, and when you're missing one thing there is a whole chain reaction. That's where I went wrong: not enough aminos. I have been trying to reverse 18 years of damage for the last 4 years and my bloodwork is steadily improving. And eating meat again has me sleeping well for the first time 18 years!!

Okay, that's the end of my unsolicited advice. Too much meat can be very unhealthy, and no meat can be equally unhealthy in a different way.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Does PETA argue against eating meat on health grounds, or on some sort of "moral" grounds?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:49 PM
I would guess that they are morally opposed to it, seeing that they call for the ethical treatment of animals.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I would guess that they are morally opposed to it, seeing that they call for the ethical treatment of animals.
"PETA believes that animals have rights and deserve to have their best interests taken into consideration, regardless of whether they are useful to humans. Like you, they are capable of suffering and have an interest in leading their own lives; therefore, they are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or any other reason."

So, in Peta's world: No leather shoes (create more plastic/synthetics), more Polyester (ditto), no milk, no "Pet Star", no medical research involving animals (much better to use human "guniea pigs" ?) , no Football, no shining a flashlight on the ceiling and watching the stupid cat try and jump every single time, no bomb-sniffing dogs, no tracker dogs of any kind, etc etc
Old 01-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

So, killing a plant is okay?

And should we stop animals from killing other animals?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

capital punishment for homicidal animals

"a fang for a fang"
Old 01-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #24
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
So, killing a plant is okay?

And should we stop animals from killing other animals?
The Mountain Lions near us didn't get the PETA memo when it came to their encounter with the Mountain bikers.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Kill It and Grill It ~ a book by Ted Nugent

Even if you are a veggie, you still gotta cut the head off the cabbage.

In order to have life, something must die.

The Cross of Christ shines through all of this.

"Moderation in all things." ~Saint Paul
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

"PETA believes that animals have rights and deserve to have their best interests taken into consideration, regardless of whether they are useful to humans. Like you, they are capable of suffering and have an interest in leading their own lives; therefore, they are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or any other reason."

So, in Peta's world: No leather shoes (create more plastic/synthetics), more Polyester (ditto), no milk, no "Pet Star", no medical research involving animals (much better to use human "guniea pigs" ?) , no Football, no shining a flashlight on the ceiling and watching the stupid cat try and jump every single time, no bomb-sniffing dogs, no tracker dogs of any kind, etc etc
No milk? Well I guess that means taking antiacids, which can cause back pains. And no football, that's gotta piss some people off. I understand their cause, but it would be more appealing if they weren't so radical. They seem to compromise animal rights over the human right to survive.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Too much meat can be very unhealthy, and no meat can be equally unhealthy in a different way.
Your story is interesting, thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #28
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
No milk? Well I guess that means taking antiacids, which can cause back pains. And no football, that's gotta piss some people off. I understand their cause, but it would be more appealing if they weren't so radical. They seem to compromise animal rights over the human right to survive.
I agree...their tactics really make it hard to be supportive of what they're trying to accomplish.

I also might have a little more respect for PETA if I believed that the most outspoken cheerleaders TRULY practiced what they preach, consistently.

I find it interesting that Pamela Anderson, a long time PETA activist/official spokesperson, supported a boycot against Dale Earnhardt Jr over his KFC sponsorship and speaks out against things like animal testing, yet hosted an American Liver Foundation fundraiser in 2002....the ALF uses animals in testing potential cures for liver disease such as hepatitis C. Oh, that's right...she HAS hepatitis C and might benefit from a cure so its okay to overlook "some" animal testing.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That is a little weird. I guess Pam wants the world to revolve around her, she just doesn't realize it yet.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
"Super Size Me" is a must-see though....I'll still have an occasional Taco Bell but most fast-food is now totally out of the question.
I really need to sit down and watch that. I used to shun fast food, but then I got myself a girlfriend four years ago (I'm proposing Jan 29! ) and now I eat it all the time.