Meditation of the Day - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Meditation of the Day

Blessings!

This is from my friend Shadow Viper again. It is the meditation of the day October 6th.

Every day, there is a meditation that is spread in all the world. That is why I am allowed to share it with you. Forgive if I can´t always find the time to post those.. especially when I am on other trails, walking all by myself.

October 6, 2005

Walk tall as the trees,
live strong as the mountains,
be gentle as the spring winds,
keep the warmth of the summer sun
in your heart, and the great spirit
will always be with you.
-Native American Proverb

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Prayer:

Grandfather Great Spirit
Fill us with the Light.
Give us the strength to understand,
And the eyes to see.

Teach us to walk the soft Earth
as relatives to all that live.

THINK on THESE THINGS
by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

Why is it that the things we love so much can cause us so much pain, and perhaps without realizing it? Why is it that we find so much to worry about in all the "what ifs" that cross our minds with such persistence? What makes fatigue follow us through the hours and drain away precious strength that we need to help us in our daily routine?

All the things that plague us daily have one common cause -fear. To some, fear is a constant companion. We may call it by many other names such as necessity, time, busy-ness, demands, but all of these can be forms of fear.

Fear produces the most mental, physical, and spiritual fatigue that has ever overtaken humans. It rushes us so that we have accidents. It drains us of strength to resist illness. It tells us we cannot produce enough to meet the demands upon us. And it builds within our minds such dire images so that we cannot face the simplest.

Fear has one antidote. It is not to stop worrying and take it easy, but it is faith. Adverse conditions cannot break us in the face of faith. Faith allows us to look fear in the eyes with such confidence that it loses its power over us.

English divine, Fredrick William Robertson, wrote, "To believe is strong. Doubt cramps energy. Belief is power."

October 6 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Living is a little like a wedding - to make a deal takes only a minute, but to live with it may take a lifetime. Many have not learned that life is not a quick trip down the aisle and if you don't find it to your liking you can start all over again. A good marriage is one of adjustments and then readjustment. It is sharing the hardships and the growing and sweetening that are in the middle of hardships. Little can compare with faith and looking out for others. It is giving and receiving, and we know it is not something outside ourselves that makes life worthwhile but what we have in our hearts.

~ I will keep my word until the stones melt. ~
DELSHAY - APACHE

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 6

"Lots of people hardly ever feel real soil under their feet, see plants grow except in flower pots, or get fare enough beyond the street light to catch the enchantment of a night sky studded with stars. When people live far from scenes of the Great Spirit's making, it's easy for them to forget His laws."
--Tatanga Mani (Walking Buffalo), STONEY

Nature is life's greatest teacher. The natural laws are hidden in nature. Hidden are solutions to everyday problems such as conflict resolution, how to forgive, lessons about differences, how to manage organizations, how to think. Hidden are feelings. You can look at something and you will feel it. At night, have you ever looked at the sky when there are no clouds? As you look at all the stars, your heart will become very joyful. You will walk away feeling joyful and peaceful. We need to visit nature so we can see and feel these things.

My Creator, let me learn nature's lessons.

Native Wisdom:

This is what was spoken by my great-grandfather at the house he made for us ... And these are the words that were given him by the Master of Life : "At some time there shall come among you a stranger, speaking a language you do not understand. He will try to buy the land from you, but do not sell it; keep it for an inheritance to your children."

Aseenewub - Red Lake Ojibwe

Old 10-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

October 8, 2005

Silence is the cornerstone of character

Morning Prayer:

Great Spirit,
return to us our freedom, our land,
and our lives. We are thankful for the
present from which to learn how to be
thankful for the past, and how to be
hopeful for the future.

--Barney Bush, Shawnee

THINK ON THESE THINGS

We have lived a long time with frustration as, a way of life. We have looked at its many faces and tried to get it out of our lives so that we can be happier and more fulfilled.

Others have overcome worse problems than we have had. But we suppose they were gifted and had more power to handle their problems. Can we admit they had no more power than we have at this very minute? They simply decided to know themselves better. To change what needed to be changed. They learned that joy is the seed of health and happiness. Fretting and frustration sets our feet in the other direction.

It is poetic justice to use past failures and hurts as stepping stones to greater happiness. When we stand on the shoulders of pain and humiliation that once ruled us, we can reach the sky. The view is worth the climb.

October 8 -Cherokee Feast of Days

Mark Twain said he never let his schooling interfere with his education. Nor should we. Education s not a degree or a result of money. It comes from sifting experience for wisdom and knowledge. It shows in how we communicate it to other people. Sequoyah was an illiterate Cherokee genius. He learned the white man had ways of preserving his thoughts on paper, and from the depths of his own mind and spirit, he made a whole tribe literate by perfecting a syllabary - ti ga lo qua s to di - to help the Cherokee advance quickly. One man's love and wisdom gave him insight to open the minds of his people so they could write, read the Scriptures, and learn the marvels of Greek, Latin, and calculus. He called it the "talking leaf". But he gave us more than that - he gave us impetus to search our own minds for gems from the Great Spirit.

~ It is my wish and the wishes of my people to live peaceably and quietly with you and yours. ~
CORNPLANTER

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 8

"I think there was a big mistake made (when) people separated religion and the government. That was one of the big mistakes that was made, because when they did that, then they removed the Creator from their life - or at least from half to three-quarters of their life."
--Tom Porter, MOHAWK

The Elders tell us that every thing the Creator made is interconnected. Nothing can be separated. The Elders say we should pray before we do anything. We should ask the Creator, what do You want us to do? We are put on the Earth to do the will of God. If we run our governments, communities, families or ourselves without the spiritual we are doomed to failure.

My Creator, guide my life to include the spiritual in everything I do.

Native Wisdom:

I am but one man. I am the voice of my people. Whatever their hearts are, that I talk.

--KINTPUASH - MODOC

Old 10-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Thank you for sharing these wisdoms and meditations. It was nice to read during my afternoon work break.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

October 9, 2005

The more you know, the more you will trust and the less you will fear.

--Ojibway

Morning Prayer:

Thank you Great Spirit for my life,
Thank you Great Spirit for my family ,
Thank you Great Spirit for everything that is given and ungiven,
Thank you Great Spirit for the day.
May you recieve everything you need and nothing you dont.
May you take the path less traveled, and keep a blues sky in
your mind even if it is not in your eyes.

THINK ON THESE THINGS

Why are we inclined to wait in groups to be herded this way or that even when we know it is wrong? How many times we have gone along with something because everyone else was doing it. Can we not stand to be different?

As conditioned and organized as we are to stampede toward experiences that are not to our benefit, we still have the power to think and save ourselves. Sometimes a simple thing like looking up at the sky can give us a hint of how unlimited we are. If we never look up, our eyes are fixed on current circumstances and what others are doing.

We can use our own innate wisdom to avoid what seems inevitable. If we can think even a little, we can move away from going downhill. Cattle stampede. People think. And with it comes the knowledge that we can also move in the right direction.

October 9 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Hope is our most constant companion. We hope the pattern of things will change for the better. Even in dire circumstances hope remains when all else seems to abandon us. But even then it is a thread strong enough to hold life together. Like a cork on a net, hope keeps is from sinking in our own fears. It helps us picture the way things ought to be so we can bring them about. We cannot say anything is hopeless when so much depends on our seeing beyond barriers. Hope is part of our natural existence. With it the door is always open. Without it, even dreams tend to perish.

~ Now I can eat well, sleep well, and be glad. I can go everywhere with good feeling. ~
GERONIMO

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 9

"That spiritual power I wear is much more beautiful and much greater. We call it wisdom, knowledge, power and gift or love. There are these four parts to that spiritual power. So I wear those. When you wear that power it will beautify your mind and spirit. You become beautiful. Everything that Tunkashila creates is beautiful."
--Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

When I was young, I asked my grandfather, "What should I pray for?" He thought for a long time and then he said, "Pray only for wisdom and for the knowledge of love." This makes a lot of sense. No matter what happens I ask the Creator to show me the lessons I should be learning. I pray for Him to help me learn the lessons. By doing this everyday we become beautiful human beings.

Great Spirit,
grant me Your wisdom.

Native Wisdom:

The people were put upon this world to learn of themselves and of their brothers and sisters. We are these people. We are the fallen stars. Our laws of men change with our understanding of them. Only the laws of the spirit remain always the same.
--White Wolf, Crow
Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Thank you for sharing these wisdoms and meditations. It was nice to read during my afternoon work break.
Good if the meditations provide some insight. They are meant to be shared.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

October 10, 2005

If an innocent man doesn't get angry, he will live a long while. A guilty man will get sick because of bad thoughts, a bad conscience.

--Traditional Hopi teaching

Morning Prayer:

"The Great Spirit is in all things,
is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit
is our Father, but the Earth is our Mother.
She nourishes us; that which we put into
the ground, She returns to us...."

--Big Thunder (Bedagi), late 19th century Algonquin

THINK ON THESE THINGS

Get quiet, not only the physical body but in the mind and spirit. If it's possible, go for a walk and look for something beautiful, look at the sky and touch the earth.

Every part of this soil is sacred in the estimation of Indian people. They touch it with reverence and find healing in its rhythm. Every hillside has some event that reminds them of an important time. Every bit of water or stream means the Spirit. It washes away pain and gives the mind and body rest.

Chief Seattle said that even the rocks that seem solid and without feeling thrill with the memory of stirring events. We can stop being so clever that we cannot know the spiritual. It is the life of life and works when we break down.

October 10 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Jealousy is never hidden. It seeps into conversation, shows in the turn of the head, lives on the tip of the tongue. Unbearable in any situation, jealousy wrings the noses of so-called competition and wreaks havoc in relationships. It is totally ignorant of the fact that we have to go within ourselves for the things that lift or lower us. What belongs to each of us has nothing to do with anyone else. To be a dv yu go di, jealous, is to be miserable. If we can't hold our own, we can go home and get ready and come back. But to have animosity toward everyone who threatens cannot cultivate good in anything.

~ While the Indians received us as friends, and listened with kind attention to our propositions, we were painfully aware of their lack of confidence in the pledge of the Government. ~
PRESIDENTIAL COMMISSION

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 10

"I think that's what unity is - knowing one another and coming together and working with no conflict."
--Chief Alan Wilson, HAIDA

When we are aligned with spiritual values, we cannot be in fear or conflict. When we are aligned to spiritual values, we have the Creator whispering solutions in our ears. Unity is one of the spiritual values. When we value unity we value solutions. If we think this way, then we have no conflict within ourselves.

Great Spirit,
let me see through Your eyes.

Native Wisdom:

The Creator made it to be this way.
An old woman shall be as a child again
and her grandchildren shall care for her
For only because she is, they are.

--Handsome Lake, Seneca
Old 10-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I like the part about the flowers

October 11, 2005

Even when we lay down, we lay down on our own path of life.

(Pawnee)

Morning Prayer:

May the Warm Winds of Heaven
Blow softly upon your house.
May the Great Spirit
Bless All who enter there.
May your Mocassins
Make Happy Tracks in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
Always Touch your shoulder

THINK ON THESE THINGS

We are at a point where we are very near the surface -- ready to burst into some kind of action even if it is not right. Be careful of those testy emotions, those feelings that start thought on the wrong road. Erase radical behavior because in the end it is morose and stupid and without reason or purpose.

We do not walk alone. Great Holy One walks beside us and for this we can be so grateful. Test every thought and word with the question, Is this necessary? So much we do is not. Don't waste energy on hate. Hate is evil's tool and we haveno business putting our hand to it. Walk softly and carry a big stick if we must -- but make it a medicine stick that reminds us to bless and heal and protect all that is sacred to us. Disconnect with foolishness and raise the voice in praise and thanksgiving -- for this is honest and steady and without weakness.

October 11 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Flowers and people have many similarities. The shy violets that take to the shadows to bloom in dewy quietness are so different from the bright yellow jonquils that dance in the sunlight. And then there's the beauty of the rose. It blooms in lovely colors, di ka no di, and has a fragrance all its own. But it must be handled gingerly or its thorns will snag like crazy. And the petunia. It grows anywhere, in any kind of weather, with very little attention. It is prolific, coming in many colors and scents the evening air with happy memories. Where do we see ourselves? Sometimes we are simply weeds - but even weed flower and give us insight into our own natures.

~ My people resemble the scattering trees of a storm-swept plain...~
SEATTLE

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 11

"Men and women have an equal responsibility to restore the strength of the family, which is the foundation of all cultures."
--Haida Gwaii Traditional Circle of Elders

The family is the heartbeat of strength of the culture. The grandfathers and grandmothers taught their children; they in turn had children who taught their children. If the family isn't taught the culture, then the children become adults and the adults become the grandfathers and grandmothers and the result is the culture becomes lost. This is how language is lost; this is how dances are lost; this is how knowledge is lost. We need to listen to our Elders, today, before it's too late.

Great Spirit, teach me the culture so I can teach the children.

Native Wisdom:

We start small like an acorn, with a limited education. Then we grow roots and our knowledge develops over time. As graduates, we are ready to spread our knowledge."

--laina and Nisha Supahan, Nez Perce
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

October 12, 2005

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose.

--Pushmataha, Choctaw Leader

Morning Prayer:

May the Great Spirit watch over you
as long as the grass grows, and the
water flows

THINK ON THESE THINGS

Thomas Carlyle said that doing the duty nearest us makes the next one easier. This is true for duty but it is also true for the things we should not do.

Subtle suggestions lie below the surface of our minds to make doing something seem harmless when it is really the fishhook that will not back out. This is the way we are drawn into doing what we would never consider when we are in our right minds.

This time won't count has been the excuse to go on doing what we should not do. But it does count. Every time counts. It always has and it always will. Even when the fishhook is removed the scar remains to remind us of our foolishness. It pays to never take the bait in the first place because the price is too high and life is too precious to gamble when it is not necessary.

October 12 - Cherokee Feast of Days

We have heard the unforgettable cries of snow geese on their way to warmer places. Long check marks in the sky that turn and glint in the sun like silver flecks, thrill us with their ancient ritual. When the season begins to change, nature gives us a new view of creation - a creation in which we are not alien. We were never an afterthought. This was prepared for us the same way we provide everything a newborn needs before it arrives. Our seasons can be renewed as well. But it is our decision, because we have freedom of choice. We are not programmed by nature. The Great Spirit gave us life and the wisdom to maintain it - and to enjoy it as well.

~ Each man is good in his sight. It is not neccesary for eagles to be crows. ~
SITTING BULL

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 12

"The obstacle to the internal nature is the mind. If it relies on logic such as the white man's mind, the domain of the inner nature is inaccessible. The simple fact is a man does not challenge the wisdom of the Holy Mystery."
--Turtleheart, TETON SIOUX

Why is it we need to analyze and understand everything? The Great Mystery has designed certain areas of creation to be a mystery because humans usually miss-use it. We use the Great Mystery and see It unfold only under the direction of the Great Spirit. The Creator is in charge.

Great Spirit, let me realize You are in charge. I'm to do what You want.

Native Wisdom:

The language, the whole culture of the Lakota, comes from the song of our heartbeat. It's not something that can quickly be put into words. It's a feeling, it's a prayer, it's a thought, it's an emotion - all of these things are in the language.

-- Larry Swalley, Lakota
Old 10-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:14 PM
I read and enjoy these. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:14 PM
A lot of goodies in there....

Quote:
Silence is the cornerstone of character
Heh heh heh....

Quote:
Grandfather Great Spirit
Fill us with the Light.
Give us the strength to understand,
And the eyes to see.

Teach us to walk the soft Earth
as relatives to all that live.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hi, BonosSaint and For Honor!

I´m glad you like them
Old 10-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

October 13, 2005

The rain falls on the just and the unjust.
Hopi

Morning Prayer:

In harmony may I walk.
With harmony before me may I walk.
With harmony behind me may I walk.
With harmony above me may I walk.
With harmony underneath my feet, may I walk.
With harmony all around me may I walk.
It is done in harmony.

--A Navajo Prayer

THINK on THESE THINGS

Everyone must have a way of life. The home, the position, the social level, the health of the body and of the emotions are all a part of daily living. But beyond that there must be a reason, a way of life. We must believe in something, live by something, and have a shelter within ourselves where there are no pretenses.

Life cannot be one carefree round of living on the surface. It is a thing of depth and width and height, and full of avenues never investigated. Like the body, it is made up of many parts. Beneath the skin there must beat a heart, a network of nerves, the strength of muscles, and much we cannot begin to explain.

As the body depends upon the heart we must have in oue lives something to depend upon, something with which to identify ourselves. There must be a central point, a hitching post to keep all of life running smoothly.

We need something to help us retreat as well as to go forward. We must have something to live by, as well as something for which we would willing die. We need divine wisdom to see, and the strength to break away, those almost invisible fingers of possessivness that grip our lives.

We do not simply live, we live because. We live because of others, because of beautiful things and times and places. We live because God gave us life, to be happy in, and to find a special way.

October 13 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Luther, a Tsalagi, explained his creative God by saying, "God take Himself and make the fish, God take Himself and make the tsisdu [rabbit]; He take Himself and make the waya [wolf]; He take Himself and make the squirrel, and He take Himself and make me. These things my brothers." But, Luther, what do you do when you want to go squirrel hunting? Merriment danced in his black eyes and he added, "I just say, Squirrel-Brother, God made you for me!"

~ I traveled thousands of miles along our winding trails, through unbroken solitudes of the wild forest, listening to the songs of the woodland birds. ~
POKOGON - POTAWTOMI CHIEF, 1833

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 13

"So unbelievable things like that happen. But you have to believe it first. Not wait until you see it first, then touch it, then believe it... You have to say it from the heart."
--Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

The power of our belief system is incredible. The power of faith is a very natural power. How do we have faith? Inside of our minds we form a mental picture with our self talk. Self talk is recorded in our minds in three dimensions - words that trigger a picture, which has a feeling or an emotion attached to it. Once we get the words and the picture, it is the emotion that makes the idea turn into a belief. You get the right emotion by saying things from the heart. The heart is the source of emotions which can cause unbelievable things to happen.

Great Spirit, with You everything is possible.

Native Wisdom:

Our ancestors have been trying to protect our Sacred Site called the Sacred Black Hills in South Dakota, "Heart of Everything That Is," from continued violations. Our ancestors never saw a satellite view of this site, but now that those pictures are available, we see that it is in the shape of a heart and, when fast-forwarded, it looks like a heart pumping....

--Arvol Looking Horse: Keeper of Original Lakota Sacred Pipe
Old 10-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 07:14 AM
These are pretty good - I can face the day now
Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #14
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Very insightful and calming. Thanks for posting and I look forward to more.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:01 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hi, MsGiggles and Maggie1!
I like them too

Thanks again to Shadow Viper.