Meditation of the Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
October 22, 2005

We are who we are because of our choices

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Prayer:

Oh Great Spirit
Be my mind,
Be my eyes,
Be my ears,
Be my heart,
Be my soul,
So that I may walk
With dignity and pride

THINK ON THESE THINGS
by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

Hate is an evil we must put down wherever we can. Evil is the rotten center of anything that plots and schemes to hurt other people. Jonathan Swift said he never was surprised to see men do evil but he was often surprised to see them unashamed.

We have seen evil in its rawest form, we witnessed those who are unashamed. What causes people to ruthlessly destroy what they see as power and strength? Resentment that we are friends and give support to those they consider to be enemies.

Most of us would not sneak up on someone we envy to do them evil. But certain minds are saturated with hate rather than love. They find great victory in mistreating innocent people in their own country so why should we be amazed that they hunt for ways to hurt ours? We have had a sad awakening and there are many things we can do to correct what has happened. Let us never forget that only one sure protection can be depended on -- The Almighty.

October 22 - Cherokee Feast of Days

In the rush of deadlines, we forget to be glad for all the things that go right. But when one thing goes wrong, the counting starts. Before the day ends, we know exactly how many times we have been put upon. Anything out of order that gets our attention,
a ga se s to di, in Cherokee. We ask, What next? And before we know it we are programmed to respond only to negative incidents. The day goes better when we decide early on that if anything can go right, it will. It keeps us looking for order rather than disorder - and that which the eyes of our mind are fastened on will respond.

~ The soldiers....never explained to the Government when an Indian was wronged, but reported the misdeeds of the Indians. ~
GERONIMO

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 22

"Growth is a painful process."
--Wilma Mankiller, CHEROKEE

Whenever we grow, we usually need to let go of emotional attachments. Letting go can be painful. Sometimes growth allows us to deal with fear. All fear can fit into two categories: one, we're going to lose something we have, and two, we're not going to get something we want. Both of these categories can cause pain. The best way to grow is to pray to the Great Spirit and ask Him to guide and protect us. All growth is guided by God.

My Creator,
guide my growth today and give me Your love and courage to help my pain.

Native Wisdom:

We were taught generosity to the poor and reverence for the Great Mystery. Religion was the basis of all Indian training."

--Charles A. Eastman (Ohiyesa), SANTEE SIOUX

October 23, 2005

Our eyes may see only so far, but our spirits see forever

Morning Prayer:

May the house wherein I dwell be blessed;
My good thoughts here possess me;
May my path of life be straight and true;
My dreams as here I lie be joyous;
All above, below, about me
May the house I love be hallowed.

THINK ON THESE THINGS

Leaves of all colors are appearing in the woods, coral, yellow, red, and the mulberry tree is dropping leaves larger than a saucer. Autumn moves in with cooler air and rain and the squirrels are running in all directions to collect acorns for their winter store.

The flowers have never been more beautiful. Impatiens like tiny roses cover the whole plant and along the country road with its birdsong are purple prairie asters and white ones as well. Sunflowers are abundant and trees seem to be more green and have more leaves than they have had all summer. As lovely as autumn is it is sad to know the frosts are coming and much we are enjoying will fade away.

We have to remember that there is a time to work and a time to rest. Nature knows it by instinct but we have to learn sometimes. There is a time for everything, a purpose to everything under heaven. Enjoy life and let none of it go to waste.

October 23 - Cherokee Feast of Days
by Joyce Sequiche Hifler

Courage is like muscle, it doesn't develop to full capacity until it is used. Courage comes when we stir it up in our spirits and refuse to look at the shape things are in or believe there is nothing we can do about it. Most of us are timid about facing up to what we know is wrong. It is so much easier to let things ride than it is to take a thorny problem by the smooth handle and shake out the causes. To have courage doesn't mean we have to be aggressive and show everyone we are not afraid. Some of the bravest men in history were Indian chiefs trying to protect their land and their people. They used their skills in speaking to bring understanding.

~ My friends, your people have both intellect and heart; you use these... in what way you can do the best to live. My people... are precisely the same. ~
SPOTTED TAIL

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 23

"We do not walk alone. Great Being walks beside us. Know this and be grateful."
--Polingaysi Q“yawayma, HOPI

Many religions have different names for these Beings. Some are called angels, some are called spirits. These Spirit Beings are helpers. They guide us, protect us and will help us during our times of need. Sometimes they give us dreams. We need not be afraid when these Spirit Helpers come. We need to understand they are the Creator's helpers.

Great Spirit, send me the helpers to guide my path as I seek to walk in Your service.

Native Wisdom:

Spiritual matters are difficult to explain because you must live with them in order to fully understand them.

--Thomas Yellowtail, CROW

I´m not an expert on Native Indians.. so the mentioned books will also cover other areas. I would definitely recommend the book(s) publ. by Healing Arts. There is one called

American Indian Healing Arts: Herbs, Rituals, and Remedies for Every Season of Life, by E. Barrie Kavasch (1999)

Then, there is lots of information on the Internet. There´s that guy, he operates lots of interconnected sites, now he is not limited to Native Indian culture and medicines. I am reluctant to post the links here. If you´re interested (note: only if you are really interested in spiritual practice.. the content might be offensive or scary) do a google search for [wanderling obeah] and click the angelfire page.

I will also forward you a recommendation of an Indian friend.. no, not Shadow Viper this time :) but a blessed man living in Granada, where I met him and we spoke all through the night. You know, we talked about those negative and positive and dark and light things.. or creatures; ..and he told me of a must-read. Now, this book was written more than 40 years ago, nonetheless it is very actual. I hope you can find it in English, on Amazon I can just find the German version, there must be some English books around.

The book is called Dance With The Devil by Gunther Schwab, publ. in English by Geoffrey Bles, 1963

Thanks for the heads up hiphop. Another friend recommended something called Eckankar but I wasn't sure if that had to do with Native Indians :huh:

I'm gonna look those up.

foray

October 24, 2005

Wealth --is that which feeds the spirit

Morning Prayer:

Grand father---Great Spirit-
fill us with the light-
give us the strength-
to understand-
and the eyes to see-
teach us to walk the soft earth-
as relatives-
to all that live

THINK ON THESE THINGS

The windows of a home reveal a great many things about us. Not looking in but looking out. A window frames a whole world of beauty for us, the change of season, the many moods of weather, the bits of life -- a bird, a squirrel, a butterfly when it touched down on a flower. Windows are the eyes of the house.

Emerson told us that the eye is the first circle and the horizon the second. Our eyes are the windows of our souls, seeing life, sorting the good from the bad, and focusing on the beautiful. We view the ever-changing horizon and broaden our knowledge. We watch and grow inwardly. When the light comes in it makes everything so much brighter, so much more pleasant that we are lifted up and made happier as well.

October 24 - Cherokee Feast of Days

As children, we were taught that if we couldn't say something good, we shouldn't speak at all. Children should be taught the same thing now, and adults should remember what they learned. To keep a gentle tongue is a constant challenge. There are so many things to speak our minds about - though it might not be heard in the din of other voices. Wherever a dominant personality runs on verbal destruction, there's not going to be any peace. The Cherokee calls this chaos a e hi s dv, a pain or ache or a headache. It keeps everyone feeling just bad enough that they can't give their best. Where there is hassle and harassment, there can be no constructive work. There will be nothing achieved without a gentle tongue.

~ We took an oath not to do any wrong to each other or to scheme against each other.~

GERONIMO

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 24

"We create that bad among ourselves. We create it; then we try to call it devil, Satan, or evil. But man creates it. There is no devil. Man creates the devil."
--Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

Inside every human being are the laws and codes by which we should live. These laws and codes are communicated to us through a little voice. When we are still, this voice guides us. If we choose to live out of harmony, our lives become filled with anger, hate, selfishness, dishonesty, etc. When these things appear in our lives, we give up accountability and blame it on something or someone else. If we want to live in harmony, we need to pray our way back to living the principles the Creator gave us.

Grandfather, today let me walk with the principles.

Native Wisdom:

By listening to the inner self and following one's instincts and
intuitions, a person may be guided to safety."

--Dr. A.C. Ross (Ehanamani), LAKOTA

October 25, 2005

..the greatest strength is in gentleness.

--Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA

Morning Blessing:

May today there be peace within.
May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child the Creator.
Let His presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, and to bask in the sun

October 25 - Cherokee Feast of Days

A rainy day has much charm with its soft shadows and mist that hangs in the woods. The restful sound of rain on the roof and the way it sings in the downspout is reason to relax. The path to the woods is carpeted with yellow leaves and a few red ones washed down by the rain. Robins strut around like old-time preachers in tails. They love the rain because the ground is softer and they can feed without working so hard. On a restless day when the sun is too bright and there are too many noises, lie back and listen to a memory - listen to the a ga s gv patter on the roof and feel the peace that it brings. A good memory is as effective as the rain that caused it.

~ Fathers, our hearts are good.....when we are at peace.....we sleep easy..... ~

SPOTTED TAIL

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 25

"What does it matter how long I pray, so long as my prayers are answered?"
--Sitting Bull, HUNKPAPA LAKOTA

Too often we worry about the words we use in prayer. We focus on the words. What really counts is the spirit and intent behind our words. It is the spirit and intent that the Creator responds to. He reads and listens to our heart. Prayer isn't only when we fold our hands and pray. Prayer is when we talk to the Creator even when we are walking down a path or sitting on a hill or walking in the mountains. The Elders say, walk in prayer. We should be willing to talk with the Great One.

Great Spirit,
today I will pray to You all day. Listen to my heart.

Native Wisdom:

I am the man that makes it rain... I cause it to rain so the corn will grow.

LONE WOLF - KIOWA

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Morning Blessing:

May today there be peace within.
May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child the Creator.
Let His presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, and to bask in the sun

-

LONE WOLF - KIOWA

:bow: :heart:

October 26, 2005

We need to grow and nurture ourselves in all four directions

Morning Prayer:

Great Spirit,
give us hearts to understand
never to take from creations beauty more then we give
never to destroy wantonly for the furtherance of greed
never to deny to give our hands for the building of earths beauty
never to take from her what we cannot use

THINK ON THESE THINGS

Nothing and no one is worthy of sacrificing the best of oneself to please them. A person with principles has the right and is justified in saying "no, thank you." Anyone who would require us to be less than what we consider right in our own life is asking too much.

Shakespeare wrote, "To thine own self be true." Self honesty is necessary and it is pure robbery to take away anything that would weaken that inner-relationship with oneself. We do not change our basic principles simply because someone impresses us with their disbelief.

Everyone has the right to be who he is, but no one has the right to keep another person from forming his or her own base. One of the greatest sins must be to stand in the way so that a shadow falls across truth of an innocent person.

October 26 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Misunderstanding is as contagious as measles - it moves from person to person, skipping only those who have developed an immunity. When there is an outbreak of misunderstanding in one place, there will be others - and not necessarily related. The source is usually a personality under pressure and the vibrations are felt like rumbling before an explosion.

It is not necessary to get caught in cloudy issues. If we hear something we can refuse to pass it on, This is what happens when someone half listens but tells what he/she heard with little variations. When we keep out own opinions and refuse to be drawn into double-talk, our conscience is clear and we have not sent out anything to come back to us when we least need it.

~ I speak straight and I do not wish to decieve or be deceived. ~
COCHISE

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 26

"It seems that if Elders can feel that you are open to learning, they are more than generous with their teaching."
--Chief Councilor, Lenard George

There is a saying, when the student is ready the teacher appears. If the Elders sense that you are ready, they will help you see and learn new things. Most human beings love to share what they know with people who are excited to listen. If you are talking to someone and you feel they really aren't listening, you won't want to tell them much. Before you go talk to the Elders, examine your motives - are you really excited about listening to them?

My Creator, give me an open mind.

Native Wisdom:

"We all form self-images and much of our behavior is pretty well determined by how we feel about ourselves."

--Eunice Baumann-Nelson, Ph.D., PENOBSCOT

October 27, 2005

There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow.
--Sioux

Morning Prayer:

May the Great Spirit
Bring Sunshine
Into my heart
Now, and forever more
In great measure.

THINK on THESE THINGS

Haven't you heard someone say, after experiencing something either good or bad, "I knew it was going to be that way." And perhaps the conviction was very strong that certain conditions would take a definite turn. But much of the time we say it not out of conviction, but resignedly, agreeing beforehand that something will be a certain way, and usually with dire overturns.

It used to be believed that we had no power to control anything coming to us. We were mere victims of circumstances, almost like stones waiting to be kicked aside. But we were taught, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is."

We must not be so presumptuous as to believe we know everything there is to know about the workings of the mind. But we attract a great many of our problems simply by dwelling on them in our thoughts.

Premonition, or "knowing" things are going to be a certain way, is merely giving us a little time to head off the trouble. Such things should be a challenge, not an accepted rule. "Know" better until you believe it into conviction and into being.

October 27 - Cherokee Feast of Days

Unwittingly we have been parts of broken relationships, discrimination, poverty, disease, and overbearing personalities. These things exist, and as long as someone endures it and someone does it, it will go on. So learn why these things happen if you want to overcome them. Learn and then don't stay where they are happening, but go on to better things. This definitely can be done. Fear and helplessness are the usual reasons we stay in bad situations - but from those two things many other evils begin. Instead, say to yourself daily that you are able, you are intelligent, and you are protected. It expands your consciousness to stand up and shake off everything that has been degrading.

~ A single twing breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong. ~
BLUE JACKET - SHAWNEE CHIEF

Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 27

"The white man does not obey the Great Spirit; this is why the Indians never could agree with him."
--Flying Hawk, OGLALA LAKOTA

The Great Spirit runs the world and the people by a set of natural laws and principles. He says we are to live our lives and make decisions that will be in harmony with these laws. He says we should be respectful to all things and to all people. He says we should pray for each other. He says we should forgive one another. It is easy to tell if a person is following the ways of the Great Spirit. You can tell by how a man walks in life. He doesn't need to say anything. If we are dishonest or deceitful, other people will know. This is true because we are all interconnected in the Unseen World.

My Creator,
let me obey Your ways.
Let me Walk the Talk.

Native Wisdom:

Every part of this earth is SACRED to my people. We are part of the earth and it's part of us.

Chief Seattle 1854

Back
Top Bottom