Medieval Gays Got Unions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #16
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Do you want me to go dig up the thread?
__________________

__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Do you want me to go dig up the thread?
Uh, I didn't deny my comments about the Bible. Go ahead.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
http://forum.interference.com/showth...s&pagenumber=4

No, you specifically said that homosexual relationship did not exist they way the do now, today. Which still flabbergasts me.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
No, you specifically said that homosexual relationship did not exist they way the do now, today. Which still flabbergasts me.
Right, in Biblical times.

This thread is about medieval times.

Nothing in the Bible talks about modern homosexuality. As Ormus said, in the post I linked, they refer to Roman temple orgys and pederasty. That was my point.

In actuality, I'm sure these relationships did exist, but no heterosexual person, including those who wrote the Bible even began to understand them. The public displays of homosexuality, or at least the ones known to them, were these orgys and the practice of pederasty.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris


No no no!!!! According to Melon and PhillyFan, it was much different back then. Homosexuality then, is not the same as it is now. They didn't have loving, caring, monogomous relationships back then.

Hogwash.
That's not exactly what was stated and your timelines are slightly off...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #21
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
You guys are funny to think that the only homosexuality that existed before 600AD was temple orgies and such.

Ok, so maybe caring, monogomous homosexual relationships may have started in 300AD? Splitting the difference.

No, I simply stated that I think homosexuality has existed in all of history and ancient times, and I don't buy the argument that people did not realize it existed or understood what it is/was or the nature of two people of the same sex loving each other as a man and a woman would.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #22
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
BTW, Irvine, this article supports what I would hope we can achieve one day. It is right in line with my hope for all people who want to join in a union.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
You guys are funny to think that the only homosexuality that existed before 600AD was temple orgies and such.

Ok, so maybe caring, monogomous homosexual relationships may have started in 300AD? Splitting the difference.
I don't think anyone is really stating that.


Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

No, I simply stated that I think homosexuality has existed in all of history and ancient times, and I don't buy the argument that people did not realize it existed or understood what it is/was or the nature of two people of the same sex loving each other as a man and a woman would.
You don't buy the argument that people did not realize it or understood? They hardly understand now???
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You don't buy the argument that people did not realize it or understood? They hardly understand now???
Makes it even more ridiculous in my opinion.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #25
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
I mean what it is... Melon will argue that it was considered a psychosis, but I hardly think the greeks and romans thought that.

There were established relationships between the same sexes. I just don't get what is so hard to believe about that.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 02:59 PM
I think that this is just not what is referred to in the Bible.
I guess the argument is, that what was condemned in the Bible was the orgies and pederastry, but not a "normal" homosexual relationship.
But out of convenience people made those lines statements against homosexuality in all its forms.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #27
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality

I'm not saying that wikipedia is the answer to all things, but man, over and over again they support the argument that homosexuality has been an accepted practice among many ancient cultures.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
I mean what it is... Melon will argue that it was considered a psychosis, but I hardly think the greeks and romans thought that.

There were established relationships between the same sexes. I just don't get what is so hard to believe about that.
I think it was the 70's where it was actually eliminated from physcology texts as a mental disorder. So to ignore that history has not looked kindly on homosexual relationships is crazy...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #29
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:59 AM
No, not ignoring the history of the last 200 years for sure. But the last 3000? Seems like society has had stretches of acceptance, and that it's more of a recent aberration.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris


No no no!!!! According to Melon and PhillyFan, it was much different back then. Homosexuality then, is not the same as it is now. They didn't have loving, caring, monogomous relationships back then.

Hogwash.


homosexuality has been around forever.

a gay identity is a modern concept.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com