Medical marijuana on agenda in New Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Medical Marijuana on agenda
Santa Fe New Mexican
19 January 2006

In an unforeseen move, Gov. Bill Richardson on Wednesday night said he will include a medical-marijuana bill on his agenda this legislative session .

The governor’s decision surprised drug-law-reform advocates, who had been disheartened by Richardson’s statement earlier this week that there wouldn’t be enough time in an already packed 30-day session to take on the measure.

House Speaker Ben Luján , DNambé , said before the session started that he had asked Richardson not to include medical marijuana on his call, saying there wasn’t enough time.

But on Wednesday night, Richardson said in a news release, “After speaking with many seriously ill New Mexicans, I have decided to include this bill on my call. This issue is too important, and there are too many New Mexicans suffering to delay this issue any further.”

“We’re so thrilled and so grateful,” said Reena Szczepanski, director of the state chapter of The Drug Policy Alliance, a national advocacy group that has been pushing the proposed bill.

“We’re proud to have a governor who will stand up for compassion. We know it was a hard decision,” she said.

This week, the group advertised in newspapers urging readers to contact officials about the issue.

An e-mail from Szczepanski to supporters this week said, “Thanks to public outcry from supporters like you, we’ve had hundreds of letters from our members sent to the governor.”

The proposed bill would allow patients seriously ill with cancer, AIDS or certain other medical conditions legal access to marijuana.

Patients would be recommended by their doctors to a program overseen by the state Department of Health.

The department would be responsible for developing regulations for licensed producers of medical marijuana within the state and coming up with standards for safety, security and distribution.

Although both Richardson and Luján said the bill might be too controversial for a short session, last year relatively little controversy surrounded the bill, which had bipartisan support.

Last year, the legislation sailed through the Senate, passing 27-11 .

Though it breezed through House committees, the bill died in the House after Rep. Dan Silva, D-Albuquerque , got upset with the bill’s sponsor, Sen. Cisco McSorley, D-Albuquerque , over Silva’s unrelated zoning bill.

Well there are also cons to this also. I support medical Marijuana, but there are some people who can fake the paper work or sell their supply.

Justin24 said:
Well there are also cons to this also. I support medical Marijuana, but there are some people who can fake the paper work or sell their supply.

:shrug:

in the grand scheme of things, who cares?

alcohol is legal, is probably worse for your body than pot, and consumption is encouraged and endorsed by society, partially due to culture, and mostly to do with the fact that very wealthy men get very wealthy off of alcohol sales.

Justin24 said:

Same could be said for any drug. Many to which can be addictive, unlike Marijuana.

Look at Rush. I dont know about not being addictive unless the person taking it is really immature about it. Because I went to a friend New years party and this lady said she smoked pot everyday including that weekend.

Justin24 said:
Look at Rush. I dont know about not being addictive unless the person taking it is really immature about it. Because I went to a friend New years party and this lady said she smoked pot everyday including that weekend.

Oxycontin (sp?) is highly addictive, as are many perscription pain drugs. marijuana is not addictive, at least physically. it can be mentally addictive, but your body will never crave marijuana the way it can and will crave drugs like heroin or crystal meth or oxycontin (or even alcohol). the woman who smokes everyday might be psychologically hooked, but she probably smokes out of choice and not out of physical need.

it also underscores the relative harmlessness of marijuana -- it can be a bad thing, i've seen people burn out and i've seen short term memory loss and i've seen it take an unnaturally healthy spot of importance in people's lives, but have never seen the damage to lives done by "real" drugs and alcohol -- and the fact that many people can enjoy a joint after dinner every day the same way that many people enjoy a glass of wine or a beer.

Irvine511 said:

:shrug:

in the grand scheme of things, who cares?

i

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The thing that impressed me the most here is that Richardson added this to the agenda last-minute in response to all the letters written to his office.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom