Media in America today - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Re: Media in America today

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
I am tuning out because these stations sell one thing, FEAR. Yes, we live in a scary time but you know what, I don't want to be reminded of that every single fu**in' time I turn on the TV
media outlets are a commercial operation as the aptly acronymmed NBC pointed out. they are looking for something captivating and cheap. something that will retain eyeballs and keep costs low.

governments around the world have long filled this void. like or hate the reasons and circumstances, the present administration of the united states has a message, which is heavy on fear and suspicion, that it very much wants to market and sell.

bring the two together and you have cheap newscasts which successfully draw you in.

we end up with correspondents stationed at the white house, pentagon and countless other military, administrative or intelligence postings. these correspondents offer little in the way of analysis-rather they reiterate the statements of officials and authorities both of the unnamed and named sort.

this has unfortunately swept most all regular daily newscasts. it is certainly low cost and its appeal is largely based on the marketing skills (or the importance of the message) of the government.

its nothing new. but the absence of serious analysis is a continuing trend. two networks mentioned previously, cbc and bbc, are among the remaining few who still feature daily analysis or comment within their prime time news programming. but even they have become prey to cutbacks (and more are coming). feature reporting, comment and analysis are relatively expensive. in addition, these state funded organizations have biases of their own which must be respected.

that is really the most important thing. all media have bias and they are not to be taken at face value. variety, diversity of media selection and independent thought are the only remedies.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:54 PM
if i want to hear a topic discussed, i'll watch a few of the Fox shows or Olberman's show on MSNBC... when a big news story breaks, I stick with CNN.

but of course the only reason why i watch Fox is because of their affiliation with the vast right wing conspiracy... which i'm also a part of. we're ruining the world one day at a time.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:10 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
I lost all (of my little remaining) repect for CNN a couple of weeks ago when an anchor giving an in-depth look at the timeline of the California mudslides (complete with satellite maps and computer graphics) looked right into the camera and very seriously said, "Now, as you all learned in school, water flows downhill."
I'm really not surprised.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~
The ABC had a fantastic program on a couple of months ago called "CNNNN" which was a spoof of CNN. It was hilarious ... showing just how seriously Americans take themselves over such things as terrorism, war, etc, etc, etc.
there is a reason why we take ourselves seriously over terrorism and war...they are VERY serious and our men an women are dying every day due to both war and terrorism.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:02 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 05:54 PM
News is excellent these days

News coverage is great these days, there are more cable news networks now, more radio news networks, thanks to satellite radio there is a whole new segment of radio news, and there are also more internet sources of news.

Over the past 5 years, the increase in news sources has been great. Although, it really doesn't matter a whole lot since the news is the news, and all networks cover the news the same way, the videocamera doesn't lie. And with CNN, MSNBC, and FOX NEWS going 24 hours a day, it doesn't give them any time to edit the news, as you can't edit live camera feeds or live interviews.

When it comes to the news, I trust BBC, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, Yahoo news, Reuters, I trust them all, because after countless hours of watching/reading all of them, there is no difference between any of them. Only news source I avoid is Barbara Walters, whenever I see her on my television screen, I flip the channel as fast as possible, her interviews are all scripted, highly edited, and I can't trust her to do anything correctly, ABC should have put her out to pasture years ago.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:56 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by U2andPolitix

there is a reason why we take ourselves seriously over terrorism and war...they are VERY serious and our men an women are dying every day due to both war and terrorism.
Oh ... that probably didn't come out the way I meant it. I meant more that the media (American, and Australian as well) seems to focus on these issues at the expense of everything else. Of course, they are serious issues, but so are human rights violations in Laos, exploitation of the Amazon rainforests, civil war in Sri Lanka ... certainly, these don't affect westerners the way current conflicts involving America do, but I don't necessarily agree with war/terrorism being the only "shocking" news story.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~

Oh ... that probably didn't come out the way I meant it. I meant more that the media (American, and Australian as well) seems to focus on these issues at the expense of everything else. Of course, they are serious issues, but so are human rights violations in Laos, exploitation of the Amazon rainforests, civil war in Sri Lanka ... certainly, these don't affect westerners the way current conflicts involving America do, but I don't necessarily agree with war/terrorism being the only "shocking" news story.
It's not. We don't get news about Sri Lanka or Laos, and it can lead to, IMO, an unbalanced world-view at times. Sure terrorism is a major headache but the Amazon, Sri Lanka and Laos are also on Planet Earth and we need to know about these situations.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:24 AM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

It's not. We don't get news about Sri Lanka or Laos, and it can lead to, IMO, an unbalanced world-view at times. Sure terrorism is a major headache but the Amazon, Sri Lanka and Laos are also on Planet Earth and we need to know about these situations.
Exactly my point.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #24
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
I had some friends from California visiting us in "old Europe" over xmas. They were verry surprised about our news on tv.
After a few days one of them told me "you know i haven't seen such balanced news on tv before".
We were discussing a while how that can be, and after a little conversation we agreet that it might be because here almost everyone watches British, French and German newschanels (some even watch turkish and italian news too), all are balanced, but because ppl are used to compare between the news of the different countries, media can't report as onesided as they might want to.

Klaus
Old 05-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #25
New Yorker

An update on "Fair & Balanced"

http://www.tompaine.com/blogs/
Fair and Balanced
David Brock
May 25, 2004
Dems invisible in FOX News Channel Bush speech coverage

Following live coverage of President George W. Bush's 31-minute May 24 speech on U.S. policy in Iraq, during primetime, at 8 p.m. (ET), MSNBC, CNN, and FOX News Channel devoted the remainder of the hour to analysis and commentary.

On MSNBC, host Chris Matthews anchored a special edition of Hardball, which began an hour before Bush's speech and continued afterward. Following Bush's speech, Matthews switched to a lengthy interview with Senator Joseph Biden (D-DE), the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, offering a Democratic view. Biden was followed by Representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA), giving a view from congressional Republicans.

On CNN, host Paula Zahn anchored an abbreviated form of her show Paula Zahn Now, headlined "Special Edition: Countdown to Handover." After canvassing CNN White House and Pentagon correspondents, Zahn featured an interview with former President Bill Clinton's Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who offered a Democratic view. Albright was followed by Joe Klein, a regular contributor to Zahn's show and a Time magazine senior writer, and then by an exchange between Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell and Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), the former vice presidential candidate.

The lineup on FOX News Channel was strikingly different; no Democrats were heard from.

FOX News Channel's coverage was anchored by FOX News managing editor and chief Washington correspondent Brit Hume, who moved from Bush to a panel of pundits that included pro-Bush, pro-war conservative syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer; pro-Bush, pro-war conservative Weekly Standard executive editor Fred Barnes; and Washington Post staff writer Ceci Connolly -- FOX News contributors all. National Public Radio senior correspondent and FOX News Channel political contributor Juan Williams, who often appears on Hume's daily 6 p.m. newscast and has been critical of Bush's polices in Iraq, did not appear on the primetime panel.

Following the panel of two conservative pundits and one news reporter, Hume introduced Representative Peter King (R-NY) as "one who supports the President on this issue." King described the Bush address as "uplifting," "poetry," and said Bush spoke "almost lyrically."

After a brief exchange with FOX senior White House correspondent Jim Angle, Hume returned to his stacked panel for closing remarks. Krauthammer was given the last word: "He had to answer a question, 'does he have a plan?' The answer is yes, he has a plan, with details and dates. He succeeded."
Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:54 AM
Re: Media in America today

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
3. Run some POSITIVE STORIES. I know this is a stretch, but bare with me here. There's so much f**ckin' death and destruction in the world today, how about some nice stories (and please, save the stupid animal stories, let's focus on HUMAN BEINGS.) I am sure that there are probably 100 kind acts that go unnoticed everyday and are newsworthy for every single bus bombing, terrorist act, or murder. Since when did we as a society develop this appetite for only negative news? Let's see how some people are changing other people's lives for the better. (I'm sure one reason why you don't see more positive human interest stories is because it's cheaper to just take some scary story off the wire and report about it as opposed to sending a reporter into the field with a camera operator to shoot and edit a nice piece.)
Gah, thank you. I couldn't agree more. Geez, the other day my dad turned on the news, and all they talked about was the fighting in Iraq, the severe weather in the Midwest (which, after going through it myself, I really didn't want to hear about again and again), the part of the airport in Paris that collapsed, and a lady who died doing a circus act. I didn't hear a single uplifting story. Even when we turned it to some of the other channels, there wasn't any happy stories. So finally, we just turned off the news altogether. And the local news isn't much better when it comes to the kinds of stories they share.

Definitely need more uplifting stories out there, yes. And I can't say I disagree with everything else a lot of you are saying, either.

Angela
Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Let's give that one big
Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Media in America today

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Definitely need more uplifting stories out there, yes. And I can't say I disagree with everything else a lot of you are saying, either.

Angela
Hell, yes. I have virtually stopped watching TV news and reading the newspapers. The media is quite literally driving me nuts these days. I get news on the Internet and that's enough thank you very much. My latest painting, called "Day of Fire", is about being assaulted by bad news and what it makes the world look like to me. I'm lucky that I have an outlet.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:54 AM
Re: Re: Re: Media in America today

Quote:
My latest painting, called "Day of Fire", is about being assaulted by bad news and what it makes the world look like to me.
That sounds cool. Wish I could see that painting-I'm sure it'd be amazing (didn't know you painted, by the way-that's neat ).

Quote:
I'm lucky that I have an outlet.
Yeah, thank goodness for things like that. . My outlet is writing. .

Angela
Old 05-26-2004, 04:02 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:54 AM
I smell some CNNNNN action buffalo, the rest of the world is missing out big time, gimme some Firth Factor!