Medal of Honor - 3rd since Vietnam - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 AM
At least you don't pretend you oppose the war but support the troops ~ financeguy you are not a hypocrite.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:38 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Well you're certainly not a hypocrite either, I'd give you that for sure!

As I'd implied earlier on, my views on this issue are probably seen as far out, bizarre, even wicked or perverse on this forum. Most of the world, in Europe definitely, my views on the issue , rightly or wrongly, are the norm if anything.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I'm genuinely sorry if you have friends who died or were injured in the conflict, but it doesn't change my fundamental view of the overall situation to be honest.
Thats not surprising considering what it must take to have such views.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Disgusting and strange to you, perhaps. What I (and most of the world) would consider disgusting and strange is the disgusting and strange veneration of criminality that carries on here on a regular basis, as though because a man is dressed up in US army fatigues he must be venerated as some kind of hero.

And I'm not sure what the relevance of the Pope is to this thread.
I'm sorry, but since when do you speak for the planet? Do not confuse mere opposition to the war to mean one considers the soldiers who fought in the war to be criminals. Your democratically elected government lets the US military use Shannon and other airports in Ireland to transport troops to and from Iraq. Several of my friends have stopped in Shannon Ireland on their way back from Iraq and they were treated like Kings not criminals.

The British government currently has over 10,000 troops in Iraq and had two to three times that number during the invasion. I don't see or hear the majority of people in England calling them criminals and in fact there has been enough support for the operation to keep it going for the past two years and on into the future.

I used the fact that people consider the POPE to be a criminal to show that such absurd thinking out there towards individuals and groups is not just reserved for the military.

People honor those who have served in Iraq because of what they have done there, not simply because they put on the uniform.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I'm sorry, but since when do you speak for the planet? Do not confuse mere opposition to the war to mean one considers the soldiers who fought in the war to be criminals. Your democratically elected government lets the US military use Shannon and other airports in Ireland to transport troops to and from Iraq. Several of my friends have stopped in Shannon Ireland on their way back from Iraq and they were treated like Kings not criminals.

I used the fact that people consider the POPE to be a criminal to show that such absurd thinking out there towards individuals and groups is not just reserved for the military.

People honor those who have served in Iraq because of what they have done there, not simply because they put on the uniform.
You are correct about the use of Shannon - the use of which most Irish people oppose according to opinion polls. In regard to the Pope, he was strongly against the Iraq war so it's a curious analogy to bring up to defend your case. Unfortunately in this regard he who pays the piper calls the tune, and the Irish economy is too dependent on US investment to piss off the US Government by refusing the use of Shannon. I wouldn't mistake your friends being treated like kings for support for the war by the Irish people.

I don't know anyone who supported it and most of my friends are on the right politically or centrists, certainly not far out lefties. I can think of a few journalists who voiced support in our media but they were definitely in the minority. And leaving aside the question of Shannon the government and all political parties here with the exception of the UUP in Northern Ireland were against the war.

The anti war demonstration in Dublin just before the outbreak of the war was the biggest ever, and though I wasn't at it myself it wasn't just the usual left wing types who oppose the US government no matter what it does (and I am certainly not in that category and would agree with many US government actions, such as GWB's oft declared support for a Palestinian state, succesive presidents support for the NI peace process, and many other decisions and actions).
Old 04-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Thats not surprising considering what it must take to have such views.
Alright, fair enough. I was over the top in describing all soldiers serving in the Iraq war as criminals. This was an over the top statement and I apologise and retract it. In practical terms, most of them are just following orders and desertion is not a practical option even for those who disagree with the war (and many do).
Old 04-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
At least you don't pretend you oppose the war but support the troops ~ financeguy you are not a hypocrite.
I do have to comment on this statement. I think you can support the lives and well-being of the troops without supporting the government's actions. I won't say it rings true for everyone out there who "supports the troops." With that said, the hypocrites that boil my blood the most are those who "support the troops" and run around proclaiming that they're dying in vain.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 AM
No somebody can support the troops and think that they are dying in vain, that is not hypocricy.