Mcdonalds worker arrested for salty hamburger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Oversalted burger leads to charges 55 minutes ago

UNION CITY, Ga. - A McDonald's employee spent a night in jail and is facing criminal charges because a police officer's burger was too salty, so salty that he says it made him sick.

Kendra Bull was arrested Friday, charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct and freed on $1,000 bail.

Bull, 20, said she accidentally spilled salt on hamburger meat and told her supervisor and a co-worker, who "tried to thump the salt off."

On her break, she ate a burger made with the salty meat. "It didn't make me sick," Bull told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

But then Police Officer Wendell Adams got a burger made with the oversalted meat, and he returned a short time later and told the manager it made him sick.

Bull admitted spilling salt on the meat, and Adams took her outside and questioned her, she said.

"If it was too salty, why did (Adams) not take one bite and throw it away?" said Bull, who has worked at the restaurant for five months. She said she didn't know a police officer got one of the salty burgers because she couldn't see the drive-through window from her work area.

Police said samples of the burger were sent to the state crime lab for tests.

City public information officer George Louth said Bull was charged because she served the burger "without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it."

:|

Unless he could prove it was done with intent this should have led to an arrest. Sounds like a cop with a chip on their shoulder, or nothing else to do...

Accidents happen, people get food poisoning, etc but it isn't an arrestable offense.

This can be another one of those threads that we can all get in a pissing contest

I have been on both sides

a fast food worker
a fast food consumer

there is not enough information

the way the article reads the officer over-reacted

I don't know what the laws are on serving contaminated food

there may be enough for the officer to believe it was not an accident

I think we can be save here that there is no other side to it anf agree that the police officer is an idiot.

You might get sick, but even oversalted you won't die (at least would be news to me), and such mishaps can happen.

deep said:
This can be another one of those threads that we can all get in a pissing contest

I have been on both sides

a fast food worker
a fast food consumer

the way the article reads the officer over-reacted

I don't know what the laws are on serving contaminated food

there may be enough for the officer to believe it was not an accident

What he believes is his, but not any kind of an evidence.
Contaminated food sounds like food with some harming bacteria, for example if you let it fall on the floor.
But seriously, too salty? :huh:

ETA: Then you go and complain, like anyone would do, but don't use your position for that kind of bogus.

City public information officer George Louth said Bull was charged because she served the burger "without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it."

Wait a minute...doesn't this apply to everything McDonald's has on it's menu? Seriously, since when has virtually any fast food been good for anyone's well-being?

indra said:

Wait a minute...doesn't this apply to everything McDonald's has on it's menu? Seriously, since when has virtually any fast food been good for anyone's well-being?

tell that to the people that sued McDonald's a couple years ago because they didn't realize that the food was bad for them.

We'd have to read the relevant provisions of the criminal code as well as get more information, but it sounds like a load of crap, better to be pursued civilly than criminally (if at all).

randhail said:

tell that to the people that sued McDonald's a couple years ago because they didn't realize that the food was bad for them.

I remember that. I thought it was a load of crap too.

or that hot coffee could burn. hilarious.

if it was with intent there is an argument and I'd hope a better charge than the one currently being used. :rolleyes:

what about people who sell guns and swords and all kinds of shit that could be harmful and not in the best interest of people's well being if they are in the vicinity of the thing being used.

If over-salting food can be considered a criminal act, I would be serving life in prison.

It certainly sounds more like grounds for strong complaints to the manager than for arresting the employee. Perhaps the alleged legal issue would be recklessness rather than criminal intent? I was kind of astounded reading it that the employees actually thought they could just "thump off" all the excess salt from the entire surface area of the hamburger meat she'd spilled it on--ground beef doesn't work that way.

I don't think they're talking here about the food merely tasting "a bit too salty," rather the sort of thing that might happen if, say, you acccidentally put 1/4 cup of salt in the soup when the recipe said 1/4 teaspoon. And in principle, massive overconsumption of salt in one standing can be and occasionally is extremely dangerous and even fatal, because it can cause hypernatremia. But I can't imagine the concentration of salt in any one portion of his burger could've been anywhere near that high. If nothing else, the gag reflex (maybe what was meant by "made him sick"?) should instinctively kick in and prevent you from swallowing anything dangerously salty.

deep said:

But all the usual suspects will be quick to judge and chastise! :up:

This is a joke. Nobody else got sick...how does he know it was the burger that made him sick? If it was salty enough to make you sick, give it back...ya don't get to eat the whole thing and then complain.

Oh and if she told her supervisor and the response was to brush it off and use it then why isn't her boss the one in trouble? Something is fishy here...

He didn't eat the whole thing, he got two bites into it and spontaneously vomited. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution article on this (that's the local paper for that region) suggested the cop was very suspicious at the time that something other than salt might in fact have been put in his burger (hence sending it to the lab for tests). I still think it was a major overreaction to arrest her, but having experienced firsthand what happens when you take a bite of something that's been dangerously oversalted in the way only a serious kitchen mistake can cause, I can understand why he freaked out--the reaction is nothing like finding your French fries "a bit too salty for my taste" or whatever. And because ground beef is porous and the salt hadn't actually been mixed in, it's entirely possible that only a small area of the total batch had absorbed enough salt from the spill to cause a gag/vomit reaction.

Apparently, the supervisor denies knowing about the salt mistake.

he's a stuck up cop with way to much power in his hands and head. If it was to salty, why DIDNT he throw it away or ask for a new one. There should not have been any grounds for an arrest unless she was beligerant or something towards him.

What an ass. Thats like that stupid judge who sued the dry cleaners and won't stop trying to sue them. It's all a power trip.

I'm going to be juvenile for a minute here and say that from the title of this thread I thought the salt had a different source.

Back
Top Bottom