McDonalds being sued because kids are fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SavesTheWorld

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/11/21/fast.food.lawsuit.ap/index.html

UNBELIEVABLE.

This kind of shit pisses me off.
Two words:

Personal Responsiblity

I'm going to sue Anhuesier Busch because their product makes me act like a moron sometimes.

:mad:

Edited to post article:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Are Big Macs hazardous to children's health?

Lawyers have filed a class-action lawsuit against McDonald's on behalf of New York children who have suffered health problems, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity.

In federal court in Manhattan on Wednesday, a lawyer alleged that the fast-food chain has created a national epidemic of obese children. Samuel Hirsch argued that the high fat, sugar and cholesterol content of McDonald's food is "a very insipid, toxic kind of thing" when ingested regularly by young kids.

The plaintiffs include a Bronx teen who ate every meal at McDonald's for three years while living in a homeless shelter. Another is a 13-year-old boy from Staten Island who says he ate at McDonald's food three to four times a week and is now 5-foot-4 and 278 pounds.

McDonald's lawyer Brad Lerman insisted the lawsuit was a frivolous attempt to cash in on the Golden Arches, "the kind of lawsuit that shouldn't be in court."

"People don't go to sleep thin and wake up obese," Lerman said. "The understanding and comprehension of what hamburgers and french fries do has been with us for a long, long time."

McDonald's has asked Judge Robert Sweet to dismiss the case, arguing those who filed the claims cannot show their health woes were caused by Big Macs and insisting the company has never misled customers about its food. The judge did not immediately rule on the request.

:angry:

Last edited:
Can I change the vote I casted for the Stella Awards?

C ya!

Marty

P.S. For an explanation of the Stella Awards, please see Dreadsox's post about American Justice (GET RICH).

When the courts found in favor of blaming tobacco companies for the illness of its products users, it opened the door to other outlets of human consumptions. McDonalds is the largest supplier of fast foods as was RJ Reynolds of tobacco.

It's stupid, because everyone knows that hamburgers, fries and a Super Sized Coke are fatty. I think the judge will reject this claim, as he/she should.

It was bound to happen, tough.

I'm the hugest supporter of McDonalds when it comes to these rampantly stupid frivolous suits.
I'm curious too, how their food can be blamed, it seems solely, for diabetes, high bp and obesity. Juvenilie onset diabetes is not caused by poor diet. So strike that one off right away. High bp and obesity. This one is interesting. Unless a child exists on a diet consisting only of fast and highly processed food, its really quite remarkable that they end up in such poor physical condition. Kids usually burn more energy than adults, even with a poor diet, kids may be heavier, but it takes a combined effort of poor diet plus an extremely inactive lifestyle to have this result in children. They should rethink this to be a class suit against Sony, Nintendo and the major tv networks who are clearly equally to blame for these lazy overweight and unhealthy youth. And yes that is sarcasm.

Personal Responsibilty. Couldn't agree more.

I think this is different than the tobacco lawsuits. If you smoke and get lung cancer, its almost certain you got the cancer from the cancer sticks. If you eat McDonald's and you're fat, that's just a coincidence. I'm sure kids are also fat because they don't exercise, sit in front the TV all day, eat bad food at home and play video games. Its not the food, stupid.

Well, the stupid lady who spilled hot coffee on herself won her case. Nothing surprises me anymore.

sharky said:
I'm sure kids are also fat because they don't exercise, sit in front the TV all day, eat bad food at home and play video games. Its not the food, stupid.

:up:

My sons are 15 and 17 and eat at least one fast food meal every day. But...they walk to school, ride skateboards wherever they need to go, run track, play basketball and work out at they gym. They have never had weight problems. My 15 year old just had his body fat tested in PE class and had the lowest in a class of 40 kids. I don't love the fact that they eat McDonalds and Burger King every day but they're active and burn it off.

Kids are fat because they eat too many empty calories, too much fat and sugar and sit on their butts all day. If parents are too ignorant to know this, they should blame themselves, not McDonalds.

mcdonalds sucks the big one. they shouldnt be sued for this, but they should be sued for everything else under the sun.

since when do hamburgers have saw dust?

im telling you wieners have less by products than mcdonalds have.

Lemon Meringue said:
Well, the stupid lady who spilled hot coffee on herself won her case. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I agree in priciple with this statement but I want to say that everyone uses this case as an example and its not the best one.

This woman who spilled coffee on herself had 3rd degree burns all over her legs. She had 6 months of skin grafts done to repair the damage.
McDonalds lost this case because they admitted there was a malfunction in the machine that caused the coffee to be that hot. The cup it was in was actually melting, it was that hot.

Anyway, carry on.

some people are just downright greedy, suing for money because those kids are fat. its not like they were forced to eat it. they had a choice. i believe they do carry salad shakers.

when i was younger, i used to work at one of those godforsaken places. like deathbear said, they should be sued for everything else under the sun. you just don't want to know....

wow some people will try anything! I predict the next place to be sued with an absurd case will be a tanning salon. It will probably involve vision (unless this has already been tried maybe that explains the eyewear)

j/k, though that wouldn't match this case. The similarities is that it's all based on well known facts i.e. if you eat fast foods and remain inactive you will gain weight and if they say to wear protective eyewear they're not joking.

This is utterly ridiculous.

I mean, there are two types of diabetes: one, juvenile diabetes, affects children--genetic causes, etc. Type II is caused by poor diet. It has been affecting more and more childen because they are inactive little dolts who scarf down bugers and fries and then play playstation for hours on end.

AGGHH! Thsi makes me so angry. It's notlike McDonalds ever said their food was healthy or low fat. Child obeseity is at an all time high. It's at endemic proportions. McDonalds is not to blame.

Simply, if you don't want your kids to be overweight, don't let them eat fast fatty foods, and make sure they exercise. That's the secret.

People can be so dumb.

icelle said:
when i was younger, i used to work at one of those godforsaken places. like deathbear said, they should be sued for everything else under the sun. you just don't want to know....

Same here.... if I feel a rare urge for that stuff I usually have to go through the drive thru, because if I walk inside I see all sorts of nasty things and it makes me want to call the health department. I think the only good thing I learned from working there was being able to spot right off all the wrong things that go on in those places.

Sorry, off topic.....

Anyway I think the lawsuit is just dumb. If they win can I sue my mother for making good food that ultimately made me a chubby child and adult?

Who else can we sue? Lets get a head of the game here.
Time for a brainstomr. No bad ideas:

Libraries for making us literate
Nike for making us run and heart our knees
Farmers for growing food that make us fat
Elvis for making Interference and taking up way too much of my free time

hmmmm.....

Brilliant idea zoner!

Joel, your papers will be served by the end of next week. I am SURE I have more fat cells on my butt because of this place.

I will also sue the Pepsi corporation as while I sit here, I will pour an extra glass at least per day to sip while browsing and laughing my fat butt off reading this site. I am of course blissfully ignorant of the "CONTAINS CAFFEINE" in capital letters on the side of the bottle. I was not aware that Pepsi is addictive....really....

I'm still undecided about this next one. Due to the heat of late, my air conditioner is getting a good workout. Should I sue God or Integral Energy for the increase in my power bill? I mean, the weather really is God's domain, but because my air con uses electricty, I think the electricity company is partly at fault. Perhaps I should be looking at Carrier Air Conditioning. They made the damn thing, right?

It's no problem that someone wants to sue MacDonalds for that..
..the problem is that he can suceed in the US.
But making the laws just more "company-friendly" like in europe only works if the government also cares about consumer protection (afik these kind of trials were the US alternative for a consumer protection by the government).

Klaus

U2SavesTheWorld said:

I agree in priciple with this statement but I want to say that everyone uses this case as an example and its not the best one.

This woman who spilled coffee on herself had 3rd degree burns all over her legs. She had 6 months of skin grafts done to repair the damage.
McDonalds lost this case because they admitted there was a malfunction in the machine that caused the coffee to be that hot. The cup it was in was actually melting, it was that hot.

Anyway, carry on.

:shocked:

Are you serious? I have never heard this before. I've heard of the classic hot-coffee-on-legs lawsuit, but never in this context. If this is indeed true, there are many misinformed people out there. Where did you get this information? I've always been utterly disgusted with this lawsuit because I didn't realize it was this serious.

To the current topic at hand. Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. American lawyers do whatever they can to make a few bucks. Like the others have said, obese kids are the product of MANY factors- not just the occasionally meal at McDonalds (besides, if I had an obese kid, I would not allow him or her to go to McDonalds. Obeseity is more than looks- it's a health hazard.)

If the judge rules in favour of this one, I will not be overly surprised, considering some of the ridiculous lawsuits in the past. However, I sincerely hopes he laughs at the lawyers who are suing.

The lawsuit in question never involved the malfunction of the coffee machine. McDonalds did serve its coffee very hot, and the woman did suffer sever injury. But the jury award was driven by sympathy, not by fault.

Complete crap. This lawsuit is ridiculous. When I saw the story on ABC news last night I was appalled at the mother and the lawyer of the boy who is suing. The mother saying something about "...my son ate a hamburger, drank a milk shake and had fries everyday sometimes twice a day. I never thought it would lead to him gaining weight and it ruining his health" DUH, WHAT DID YOU THINK IT WOULD DO !?!?!?! :mad: and the lawyer adding that the mother not knowing the ramifications on how her sons daily visits to McDonalds would lead to excessive weight gain because she works all the time and does not have time to be educated about McDonalds is just complete BS, since when is it McDonalds fault that a parent does not take the time to educate their child on their eating habits! I hope the judge throws this case out and laughs the lawyer who presented this case out of their courtroom

Well, when your advertising campaign is this...what do you expect?

shit.gif

Lawsuit: McDonald's Destroys Parental Authority
(2002-11-21) -- On the heels of yesterday's lawsuit claiming that McDonald's food makes kids fat, lawyers have filed a class action in federal court in Manhattan on behalf of parents claiming McDonald's destroys their ability to discipline their children or monitor their behavior and whereabouts.

"Ronald McDonald holds sway over the minds of parents like Saddam Hussein controls the Iraqi people," according to the 234-page filing. "Parents involuntarily transport their children to McDonald's and give them money to buy Happy Meals. These innocent Moms and Dads often have no idea that their children have gone with friends to Mickey D's. They are helpless, pitiful victims of McDonald's nefarious mind-control recipe."

The lawsuit seeks punitive damages of one dollar for every customer McDonald's has served.

I just came back from a bar in NYC across from where all of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons sit and wait out the night.

Oddly, Ronald McDonald is on his knees with his rearend sticking up in the air. Waiting.

i think its really silly the people sueing these fast food places cause there fat.i mean no one forced them to go there and order the super size value meals. and no one sat there and forced it down there throat.i mean if your gonna eat at fast food places everyday your gonna pay for it in the end.

Back
Top Bottom