McDonalds being sued because kids are fat - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:22 PM
McDonalds being sued because kids are fat

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/11/21/fa....ap/index.html

UNBELIEVABLE.

This kind of shit pisses me off.
Two words:

Personal Responsiblity

I'm going to sue Anhuesier Busch because their product makes me act like a moron sometimes.

Edited to post article:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Are Big Macs hazardous to children's health?

Lawyers have filed a class-action lawsuit against McDonald's on behalf of New York children who have suffered health problems, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity.

In federal court in Manhattan on Wednesday, a lawyer alleged that the fast-food chain has created a national epidemic of obese children. Samuel Hirsch argued that the high fat, sugar and cholesterol content of McDonald's food is "a very insipid, toxic kind of thing" when ingested regularly by young kids.

The plaintiffs include a Bronx teen who ate every meal at McDonald's for three years while living in a homeless shelter. Another is a 13-year-old boy from Staten Island who says he ate at McDonald's food three to four times a week and is now 5-foot-4 and 278 pounds.

McDonald's lawyer Brad Lerman insisted the lawsuit was a frivolous attempt to cash in on the Golden Arches, "the kind of lawsuit that shouldn't be in court."

"People don't go to sleep thin and wake up obese," Lerman said. "The understanding and comprehension of what hamburgers and french fries do has been with us for a long, long time."

McDonald's has asked Judge Robert Sweet to dismiss the case, arguing those who filed the claims cannot show their health woes were caused by Big Macs and insisting the company has never misled customers about its food. The judge did not immediately rule on the request.

Old 11-21-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

people are fucking morons.

Old 11-21-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:22 AM
People try to get money from where ever they can!!! NOT ALL PEOPLE!!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:24 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Can I change the vote I casted for the Stella Awards?

C ya!

Marty

P.S. For an explanation of the Stella Awards, please see Dreadsox's post about American Justice (GET RICH).
Old 11-21-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Anyone for attorney McNuggets?
Old 11-21-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Anyone for attorney McNuggets?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:47 PM   #7
Refugee

When the courts found in favor of blaming tobacco companies for the illness of its products users, it opened the door to other outlets of human consumptions. McDonalds is the largest supplier of fast foods as was RJ Reynolds of tobacco.

It's stupid, because everyone knows that hamburgers, fries and a Super Sized Coke are fatty. I think the judge will reject this claim, as he/she should.

It was bound to happen, tough.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:38 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:22 AM
I'm the hugest supporter of McDonalds when it comes to these rampantly stupid frivolous suits.
I'm curious too, how their food can be blamed, it seems solely, for diabetes, high bp and obesity. Juvenilie onset diabetes is not caused by poor diet. So strike that one off right away. High bp and obesity. This one is interesting. Unless a child exists on a diet consisting only of fast and highly processed food, its really quite remarkable that they end up in such poor physical condition. Kids usually burn more energy than adults, even with a poor diet, kids may be heavier, but it takes a combined effort of poor diet plus an extremely inactive lifestyle to have this result in children. They should rethink this to be a class suit against Sony, Nintendo and the major tv networks who are clearly equally to blame for these lazy overweight and unhealthy youth. And yes that is sarcasm.

Personal Responsibilty. Couldn't agree more.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:13 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Personal Responsibilty. Couldn't agree more.
And since this involves children, parents who fail to parent.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:18 PM   #10
New Yorker

I think this is different than the tobacco lawsuits. If you smoke and get lung cancer, its almost certain you got the cancer from the cancer sticks. If you eat McDonald's and you're fat, that's just a coincidence. I'm sure kids are also fat because they don't exercise, sit in front the TV all day, eat bad food at home and play video games. Its not the food, stupid.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:58 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, the stupid lady who spilled hot coffee on herself won her case. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:04 PM   #12
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
I'm sure kids are also fat because they don't exercise, sit in front the TV all day, eat bad food at home and play video games. Its not the food, stupid.

My sons are 15 and 17 and eat at least one fast food meal every day. But...they walk to school, ride skateboards wherever they need to go, run track, play basketball and work out at they gym. They have never had weight problems. My 15 year old just had his body fat tested in PE class and had the lowest in a class of 40 kids. I don't love the fact that they eat McDonalds and Burger King every day but they're active and burn it off.

Kids are fat because they eat too many empty calories, too much fat and sugar and sit on their butts all day. If parents are too ignorant to know this, they should blame themselves, not McDonalds.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:10 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

mcdonalds sucks the big one. they shouldnt be sued for this, but they should be sued for everything else under the sun.

since when do hamburgers have saw dust?

im telling you wieners have less by products than mcdonalds have.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:48 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
Well, the stupid lady who spilled hot coffee on herself won her case. Nothing surprises me anymore.
I agree in priciple with this statement but I want to say that everyone uses this case as an example and its not the best one.

This woman who spilled coffee on herself had 3rd degree burns all over her legs. She had 6 months of skin grafts done to repair the damage.
McDonalds lost this case because they admitted there was a malfunction in the machine that caused the coffee to be that hot. The cup it was in was actually melting, it was that hot.

Anyway, carry on.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:17 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
some people are just downright greedy, suing for money because those kids are fat. its not like they were forced to eat it. they had a choice. i believe they do carry salad shakers.

when i was younger, i used to work at one of those godforsaken places. like deathbear said, they should be sued for everything else under the sun. you just don't want to know....