McCain Speaks Out Against Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
It was between war and a graver threat. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Not our critics abroad. Not our political opponents.

And certainly not a disingenuous film maker who would have us believe that Saddam's Iraq was an oasis of peace when in fact it was a place of indescribable cruelty, torture chambers, mass graves and prisons that destroyed the lives of the small children held inside their walls.
--Sen. John McCain

McCain taking Moore to task has really made my day, anyone see the booing that were envoked by the mention of Moore :applaud:

I hope those politically against Bush in here, who say they like McCain, heard what McCain had to say tonight. It was a great speech!

Oh and no one can top Moore in making such a grossly inaccurate statement with his film. McCain hit the nail on the head with that one, that was fantastic.

BVS, remember in F9/11 where Mr. Moore presents his picure of Iraq. Old men in cafe's, kids flying Kites the entire "A sovereign state that had never harmed or attempted to harm an American citizen" piece - that was a brutal deception. He did not show one negative side to the Baathist regime, he ignored totally the 200,000 bodies with big gaping holes in the skull being exhumed from the desert sands in the south. He didn't show the state of the Iraqi economy, healthcare or the total absence of freedom of speech, the rape rooms, the systematic torture (I repeat - I find having a pregnant woman sliced apart in front of her husband to be a lot worse than being stripped naked by a bunch of undisciplined discraces that do not deserve the title soldiers). That deception that has been taken up by the anti-war crowd that Iraq was a better place before the war is the problem and that is one of the many reasons that Moore must be taken to task.

"don't let anyone tell you otherwise"

that would have made a great campaign slogan really

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/politics/9539588.htm

The more I read about McCain - the more I like him. I do think a lot of this speech was written by Bush's speechwriter though... it has those buzz words:

Do not yield.
Do not flinch.
We must.

and of course:

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

It has that "if you don't follow me you're weak" attitude that I don't like about Bush.

I didn't see any argument presented that indicated that Kerry wouldn't be capable of continuing with the war, and in fact he named democrats as friends and for us to stay united which I liked. No them, only us...

I liked the emphasis on how we should be thankful to the military for their service. (Thank you military!)

Since when did John McCain become a film critic? :wink:

I respect John McCain for many reasons, but when he simply becomes a mouthpiece for the neo-conservative segment of his Party, he loses some of his credibility. :ohmy:

Michael Moore has hit a VERY SORE SPOT in the Bush's "war on terror" with "Fahrenheit 9/11" which has RESONATED WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE and the Republican Party knows this.

I fully support Michael Moore and nothing the Republicans can do will stop his influence with the American People. :up:

McCain made an excellant arguement for why George Bush should be re-elected President and that he would make a better President than John Kerry. I think that those on the left that like McCain should take note. McCain is not a person that deals in "partial truths".

Jamila said:

I respect John McCain for many reasons, but when he simply becomes a mouthpiece for the neo-conservative segment of his Party, he loses some of his credibility. :ohmy:

Michael Moore has hit a VERY SORE SPOT in the Bush's "war on terror" with "Fahrenheit 9/11" which has RESONATED WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE and the Republican Party knows this.

I fully support Michael Moore and nothing the Republicans can do will stop his influence with the American People. :up:

Michael Moore's movie has resonated with the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. Just take the fact that JOHN KERRY WILL NOT EVEN GO SEE MOORE's MOVIE.

John McCain has never been anyone's mouthpiece. He refused to be a mouth piece for the North Vietnamese who, while he was a prisoner, wanted him to sign a paper stating he had committed various war crimes, while John Kerry was at home testifying that all officers at every level of command had committed war crimes. John McCain despite torture for several years never let his captors force him to be a mouthpiece for them. Bottom line, John McCain speaks his mind and is a mouthpiece for no one. Everyone should respect that fact.

Michael Moore's movie is trash film that attacks US Military personal and makes a billion inaccurate suggestions. It is a worthless piece of trash!

That was one part of that movie that I had a real problem with-he did show that kite flying, etc like Iraq was this Disneyland destroyed by the US. Unless my recollection of the movie is flawed, he cut right from the "idyllic" Iraq to the "shock and awe" footage. I think he left some important facts out..

At least Moore laughed, and I'm sure he enjoyed the attention
:wink:

Jamila said:

I dont think the American public need to be underestimated so. Moore is rather adept at this, and it's entirely unnecessary.

Michael Moore's film is only a hit with 2 types: those who are easily brainwashed and those who already agreed with him and lapped it all up like happy dogs.

I enjoyed John's speech and I am not even a republican. But, I am watching both conventions because I am still "on the fence" over whom to vote for in November. I saw Moore's film Fairenheight 911 and I am angry that the complete truth about Iraq was not show. As mentioned, in another post Saddam was a vicious and brutal dictator. He should have been 'taken out' years ago.

And Mr. Moore I would like to have my 10 dollars back. When you do a documentary, show the entire truth, good and bad. Not, just your version of it. I felt decieved by your film.

And oh, yes, I agree that Fahrenheit 9/11's depiction of Iraq was pretty damn deceptive. Nothing about people rotting in prisons for non-existent crimes or torture chambers. That too was very much part of Saddam's Iraq.

no one is going to show us the entire truth on anything that could win / lose a presidential campaign

not Michael Moore, not McCain, no one
so pick parts of what all of them say and try to get to something that is close to the truth
you'll also fail at that though because the parts we pick / do not pick and the way we interpret them is also filled with personal bias

I think the man who laughs the hardest is Michael Moore
if Bush loses he will call himself a hero
if Bush wins he will have an audience for his work

Propaganda is a dangerous but effective tool. In a way, Tsarist Russia was brought down by it. The Boshevik revolutionaries spread untrue rumors that the Tsarina and Rasputin were having and affair, and that they were German spies. With the Tsar out in the field with his troops during WWI, this helped turn the public against her and helped fire the revolution (along with the problems that WWI was becoming unpopular and the casualities were high, and the economy was very bad)

I have read that the Bolsheviks seized power (From the provisional gov't who took power after the regime fell) while controlling only 10% of the vast nation- they had the parts that mattered- the newspapers, telephones and telegraphs. They could say and spread whatever they wanted.

But 87 years down the road you'd think people would be too inquistiive, knowledgeable and well informed to fall for propaganda.

Jamila said:
I fully support Michael Moore

Wow. That's quite a statement. My extreme liberal friends wouldn't go so far as to say they "fully" support Moore, just as my extreme conservative friends wouldn't go so far as to say they "fully" support Bush. In the game of wicked politics, it's hard to "fully" support anyone.

I don't have any profound statements, I was just shocked by that comment.

over here the democratic and conservative conventions are compared to party conventions in communist russia

one big show to honour the party leader
no discussion on issues
no room for improvisation
and you can bet your arse that should get it into your head to do anything thats not on the agenda you'll be thrown out there by the speed of greased lightning

propaganda is rooted so deeply into politics nowadays that we even start to say when we see obvious propaganda "well, that's the way politics work"

Michael Moore is just one small aspect

BOTH conventions are so planned out, scripted, contrived, airbrushed and prepackaged I find them nauseating and can't watch more than a few miinutes at time. I can't image anyone taking either of them seriously, much less let them decide their choice for president. To do so would be like falling for a scam from a mouthy crooked salesman. Salome please tell your friends that not everyone in America likes those conventions or pays much attention to them.

I really see no reason for them other than show, propaganda and salesmanship. In earlier times, conventions were a meeting of electors from each state and when the roll was called there was some doubt as to who would be chosen. But now it's all in the bag months before so it just becomes a party and a bunch of prepackaged speeches written by spin doctors. They might as well do away with them and the people from the states, it doesn't matter now.

"Moore seemed to relish the attention, thrusting his arms over his head, laughing and saying, "Two more months."

Asked about McCain's remarks, Moore said, "I can't believe they're dumb enough to bring up the film and help its box office."

STING2 said:
McCain made an excellant arguement for why George Bush should be re-elected President and that he would make a better President than John Kerry. I think that those on the left that like McCain should take note. McCain is not a person that deals in "partial truths".

I didn't get that at all. I had already posted my opposite reaction earlier in this thread. While he highlighted Bush's "unyielding" "un flinching" "must do" path that we have to be on because "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise", I didn't see it as a persuasive argument to re-elect Bush. I also don't think he said anything comparing Kerry & Bush to highlight Bush being a better choice. Am I missing something?

I do think it was a great speech, but not anything that moved me to re-elect George Bush or that prove to me that Bush would be better than John Kerry.

Back
Top Bottom