McCain Speaks Out Against Michael Moore - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 07:40 PM
I'd rather have McCain than either of those two sickening bozos.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Yes, conventions are basically great big expensive parties with no purpose. At one point in time they did have a purpose. That's where the candidates were nominated and picked their running mates. As late as 1976 Jimmy Carter didn't pick Walter Mondale as his running mate until the DNC. This year we knew the people who were getting the nominations were, and their running mates, and the whole damn thing is just for show and political advantage. Of course the pollsters and pundits go into overdrive for these things. But they are just show biz.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
I'd rather have McCain than either of those two sickening bozos.
We could have better candidates. I'll agree with you there. Probably if our campaign season weren't so long and expensive we'd have better candidates. Right now our system is really working against us.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:20 PM   #34
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:40 PM
You're not fooling anyone, "Lilac."

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:54 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

Riiiiight.

- John McCain, 2004
The best of friends can have a heated debate about something especially in the course of politics. This example is irrelevant.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:00 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

I didn't get that at all. I had already posted my opposite reaction earlier in this thread. While he highlighted Bush's "unyielding" "un flinching" "must do" path that we have to be on because "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise", I didn't see it as a persuasive argument to re-elect Bush. I also don't think he said anything comparing Kerry & Bush to highlight Bush being a better choice. Am I missing something?

I do think it was a great speech, but not anything that moved me to re-elect George Bush or that prove to me that Bush would be better than John Kerry.
McCain accurately explained why the choices that Bush has made the past four years have been the right ones and have been successful. It is for that reason that Bush should be re-elected as president.

Has anyone given a speech or said something not in a speech that would make you want to re-elect George Bush?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #37
Refugee

No Sting2, how Bush handled Sept 11 and Iraq are not my deciding factors.

If it were my deciding factor, I don't agree with all of his decisions anyhow and McCains speech didn't inspire me to think differently.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:41 PM   #38
War Child

He's got Pete Townshend on his side.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 PM   #39
Acrobat

While I like McCain and, even tho I'm a democrat, was interested in him 4+ years ago b/c he sounded like a logical, rational grown-up (such a concept in today's political climate), I've lost respect for him these past months. Back when McCain was running for the ticket, Bush & his buddies pulled some dirty BS on him...yet he lets himself be put on a commercial hugging the man! They used dirty tricks to call him into question, and he is still towing the dogmatic party line instead of saying "Hey--what the hell?" I thought he could think for himself, but he's in danger of coming across as one of "them" lock, stock & barrell.

Oh, and the best thing Moore could do is laugh it all off. Pulling an O'Reilley and yelling "Shut up! Just shut up!" would just make him look a fool. I read what Moore had to say in today's USA Today opinion piece and I think it was great. Compare it to Coulter (who was fired after turning in her first opinion piece on the DNC) and you can get an idea of how the parties seem to split. Too often the Reps (their "mouthpieces" for the most part) come across as a bit on the nutty side--name calling, etc. When Republicans try to act compassionate and moderate, it rings false (to me, anyway).
OK, I've gotten off topic. Sorry.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:57 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
He's got Pete Townshend on his side.
Now THAT is an endorsement!

Any other politician's want a guy with "pictures" found on his computer to support them?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:00 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by enggirl
While I like McCain and, even tho I'm a democrat, was interested in him 4+ years ago b/c he sounded like a logical, rational grown-up (such a concept in today's political climate), I've lost respect for him these past months. Back when McCain was running for the ticket, Bush & his buddies pulled some dirty BS on him...yet he lets himself be put on a commercial hugging the man! They used dirty tricks to call him into question, and he is still towing the dogmatic party line instead of saying "Hey--what the hell?" I thought he could think for himself, but he's in danger of coming across as one of "them" lock, stock & barrell.

Oh, and the best thing Moore could do is laugh it all off. Pulling an O'Reilley and yelling "Shut up! Just shut up!" would just make him look a fool. I read what Moore had to say in today's USA Today opinion piece and I think it was great. Compare it to Coulter (who was fired after turning in her first opinion piece on the DNC) and you can get an idea of how the parties seem to split. Too often the Reps (their "mouthpieces" for the most part) come across as a bit on the nutty side--name calling, etc. When Republicans try to act compassionate and moderate, it rings false (to me, anyway).
OK, I've gotten off topic. Sorry.
I'm not sure if your aware of this, but John McCain returned to Vietnam and shook hands with the men who beat him for years. He certainly does not agree with them on anything, but he did forgive them.

McCain has never been a mouthpiece for anyone. He has ALWAYS BEEN A REPUBLICAN. Look at how he has voted in the past. Even in the primaries in 2000, the difference between Bush and McCain on many issues was small.

McCain does not tow anyones line. The North Vietnames who beat him for years tried unsuccessfully to get him to sign a document saying that he and other US Military personal had committed war crimes. McCain refused despite the increased beating. He knew the facts and was not about to sign on to a lie no matter how much they beat him. At around the same time in 1971, John Kerry went before Congress and essentially did what the North Vietnamese were unable to beat John McCain into doing.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:02 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
No Sting2, how Bush handled Sept 11 and Iraq are not my deciding factors.

If it were my deciding factor, I don't agree with all of his decisions anyhow and McCains speech didn't inspire me to think differently.
Has anyone given a speech or said something not in a speech that would make you want to re-elect George Bush, regardless of whether it was related to 9/11/Iraq or not?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:19 AM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

The best of friends can have a heated debate about something especially in the course of politics. This example is irrelevant.
If my friend stood next to someone who slandered not only me but my wife and child and refused to refute that slander he would no longer be my friend.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Ahem, remember your Voltaire "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", the problem with politics is that too many people here hate those whose politics they disagree with, that goes for both Bush and Kerry bashers - they posess a psycopathical hatred that is totally illogical. Introduce some respect for others opinions and take enjoyment from the argument, it will lead to better discourse in your daily life and on the forum.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 AM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Has anyone given a speech or said something not in a speech that would make you want to re-elect George Bush, regardless of whether it was related to 9/11/Iraq or not?
What's your point STING2? The answer is no, but that doesn't mean that I don't try to have an open mind anyhow.