McCain on GITMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]MR. RUSSERT: Let me turn to Guantanamo. In October--excuse me, December of 2003, "Sen. John McCain said he is concerned about the failure to move ahead with prisoners' trials at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. ...`These cases have to be disposed of one way or another. After keeping someone two years, a decision should be made.'" That was a year and a half ago. It's now been three and a half years. Should we close it?

SEN. McCAIN: I don't think necessarily. But I think the important thing is it's not the facility of Guantanamo, it's the adjudication of the cases of the prisoners who have been held there without trial or without any adjudication of their cases. So the frustration is not the fact we have a facility at Guantanamo, although that certainly becomes symbolic. The frustration is: What are we going to do with these people?

Now, I know that some of these guys are terrible, terrible killers and the worst kind of scum of humanity. But, one, they deserve to have some adjudication of their cases. And there's a fear that if you release them that they'll go back and fight again against us. And that may have already happened. But balance that against what it's doing to our reputation throughout the world and whether it's enhancing recruiting for people to join al-Qaeda and other organizations and want to do bad things to the United States of America. I think, on balance, the argument has got to be--the weight of evidence has got to be that we've got to adjudicate these people's cases, and that means that if it means releasing some of them, you'll have to release them. Look, even Adolf Eichmann got a trial. I mean, there--we are signatories to numerous agreements on human rights, against torture, universal declaration on human rights, etc. So that means we have to do something with these people. And I hope we can move that process forward very soon.[/Q]

XHendrix24 said:
Now, why exactly didn't Republicans elect him as president back in 2000?:huh:

Because push polls in Southern states implied he had conceived an interracial child out of wedlock, amongst other usual dirty tricks. This was done by the same kind of people who continue to imply that Hillary Clinton is a lesbian.

Melon

melon said:

Because push polls in Southern states implied he had conceived an interracial child out of wedlock, amongst other usual dirty tricks. This was done by the same kind of people who continue to imply that Hillary Clinton is a lesbian.

Melon

Because push polls

change that to:

Bush / Rove polls

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
[Q]

Now, I know that some of these guys are terrible, terrible killers and the worst kind of scum of humanity. But, one, they deserve to have some adjudication of their cases. And there's a fear that if you release them that they'll go back and fight again against us. And that may have already happened. But balance that against what it's doing to our reputation throughout the world and whether it's enhancing recruiting for people to join al-Qaeda and other organizations and want to do bad things to the United States of America. I think, on balance, the argument has got to be--the weight of evidence has got to be that we've got to adjudicate these people's cases, and that means that if it means releasing some of them, you'll have to release them. Look, even Adolf Eichmann got a trial. I mean, there--we are signatories to numerous agreements on human rights, against torture, universal declaration on human rights, etc. So that means we have to do something with these people. And I hope we can move that process forward very soon.[/Q]

Clinton said something similar to this along with "I take some of the blame.."

I posted it in the other thread.

McCain as a former POW can say this without Talk-wing Radio demanding his head.

He is absolutely right.

GITMO was created as a place where these things could happen.

That is why I have advocated closing it.

Holding them indefinitely has reduced America to a rouge, lawless nation in the eyes of much of the world.

Back
Top Bottom