Mayor Quimby on Katrina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
"What the American people have seen is this incredible disparity in which those people who had cars and money got out and those people who were impoverished died."

-- Ted Kennedy

:up:

Yes Senator Kennedy, having plenty of money can certainly be useful for all sorts of self preserving causes.

melon said:
I wonder if we'll be quick to blame the Mayor of Houston/Galveston and the Governor of Texas for the failed evacuation efforts. At least the poor had the Superdome in New Orleans. Apparently, there's nothing in Texas.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/23/rita.evacuees.ap/index.html

Melon

If they did everything they were supposed to do according to the law, I do not think people will be quick to blame.

MaxFisher said:
"What the American people have seen is this incredible disparity in which those people who had cars and money got out and those people who were impoverished died."

-- Ted Kennedy

Yes Senator Kennedy, having plenty of money can certainly be useful for all sorts of self preserving causes.

Senator Kennedy is very familiar with cars and water under a bridge....and the saving effects of a good name and $$$$.

Dreadsox said:
If they did everything they were supposed to do according to the law, I do not think people will be quick to blame.

Then how is this any different from New Orleans, where Bush wanted to blame the state and local officials? If anything, Louisiana had MORE of a "plan" than Texas does. The Texan plan seems to be "every man for himself."

Melon

In my mind Bush had a right to blame the local and state officials. If they let the National Guard take over the day of the hurricane I feel the outcome would have been better.

melon said:

Then how is this any different from New Orleans, where Bush wanted to blame the state and local officials? If anything, Louisiana had MORE of a "plan" than Texas does. The Texan plan seems to be "every man for himself."

Then who coordinated the bus evacuation?

~U2Alabama

char_quimby.jpg

I had really hoped to see a photo of the mayor.

That;s all.

melon said:

Melon

I have not researched the Texas law. I have the LA because clearly the plan was not followed.

Having more of a plan means shite, if the people in power do not enact the plan.

For example

galvestonbuses.jpg

instead of

floodedbuses.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it could have been worse...............

schoolbustedwaterb.jpg

:laugh: :reject: :reject:

Okay, I'm sorry, I've taken too many creative liberties. Ive think I've taken it lightly enough for now.

Thanks for putting up with me.
This is a serious issue, but I guess I have an anticonformity reaction everynow and then.

====

(it's so bad that it's funny)

Great photos:|

But aren't we losing sight.

We still had thousands that were screwed.

Who cares by who?

The system as a whole failed.

When the smaller one fails the bigger one needs to step up. That's the system. This didn't happen. They both failed. And now people are dead.

The author of this thread has still not offered the reason for this thread. His title and his quote doesn't mean shit to anything really going on.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

When the smaller one fails the bigger one needs to step up. That's the system. This didn't happen. They both failed. And now people are dead.

I do not see how the photos have anything to do with your comments.

[Q]I wonder if we'll be quick to blame the Mayor of Houston/Galveston and the Governor of Texas for the failed evacuation efforts.[/Q]

I felt this was unfair and uncalled for. I felt it needed a response. If anything my quote down below here sums up how I feel about the situation, but I am going to respond when I see pot shots thrown.

Let me be blunt: I think there is a double standard of attacking Democratic politicians, while giving the Republican Party a free pass.

That is, Bill Clinton is Satan incarnate when he makes mistakes, but George Bush is just well-intentioned and does everything he can. And looking at the MESS our country is in over the last five years, I do not see how we can continue to give our Republican-dominated government a free pass on everything.

I'm looking for consistency, which I don't see. I respond to pot shots as well.

Melon

melon said:
Let me be blunt: I think there is a double standard of attacking Democratic politicians, while giving the Republican Party a free pass.

That is, Bill Clinton is Satan incarnate when he makes mistakes, but George Bush is just well-intentioned and does everything he can. And looking at the MESS our country is in over the last five years, I do not see how we can continue to give our Republican-dominated government a free pass on everything.

I'm looking for consistency, which I don't see. I respond to pot shots as well.

Melon

Just for clarifications sake....

Are you saying I am not consistent in my criticism of the political leaders?

[Q]Fiasco in wake of Hurricane Katrina spurred improved preparations for Rita
By Hugo Kugiya
The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, September 25, 2005

When Hurricane Katrina ravaged coastal Louisiana and Mississippi, the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman was dispatched to the Gulf of Mexico to serve as a floating command center for relief operations.

Four days later.

For Hurricane Rita, a state-of-the-art, ground-based command center was established at the U.S. Northern Command headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Two days early.

Given a rare second chance in the form of the second monster hurricane to hit the Gulf Coast in less than a month, government agencies were determined not to repeat the failures of Hurricane Katrina.

State and local officials issued their own evacuation orders, marshaled buses and other resources, and asked in advance for federal help - whether it was Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco asking in writing for 15,000 active-duty troops, or Texas Gov. Rick Perry requesting extra fuel.

Most notably, government agencies took the step of involving the U.S. military in advance rather than after the fact.

advertisement ``Just having been through the double catastrophic disaster, we learned not to make any assumptions about preparedness,'' said FEMA spokeswoman Debbie Wing.

Ultimately up to 28,000 troops responded to Katrina, although they arrived several days after the hurricane landed. In preparation for Rita, which turned out to be a less damaging storm, the military deployed about 50,000 troops on the ground or aboard ships to support relief operations before the hurricane hit land.

The military reserved 26 helicopters for search and rescue. Six naval vessels - the USS Iwo Jima, USS Shreveport, USS Tortuga, USS Grapple, USNS Patuxent and USNS Comfort - were sent to follow the storm to the Texas coast. Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio was designated as the central clearinghouse for the distribution of relief supplies. In addition, the Coast Guard reserved 40 aircraft and nine cutters.

During Katrina, the military also sent naval vessels to the rescue, but all were dispatched days after the hurricane landed.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency stockpiled in advance essential provisions such as food, water, hospital beds and satellite telephones. FEMA safely stored enough food and water in Texas and Louisiana, including 165 truckloads of ice, 185 truckloads of water, and 98 truckloads of food.

President Bush made a conspicuous show of his involvement, from a visit Friday to FEMA headquarters to a full schedule of Rita activities Saturday, including a stop at U.S. Northern Command headquarters and a trip to Texas to observe relief operations.

That compares starkly with Katrina, when Bush flew over the region two days after the storm hit, and only visited the stricken area after another two days had passed.

Bush declared Katrina ``an incident of national significance'' the day after it slammed Louisiana and Mississippi, clearing the way for a full federal response.

For Rita? The declaration was made last Wednesday.

The improved preparations could be seen again and again:

• The military organized massive resources well in advance of Rita, taking special care to prevent the kinds of horrors caused by Katrina at hospitals and nursing homes. Military aircraft, flying 39 missions Thursday and Friday, evacuated several thousand patients from hospitals in Beaumont, Texas, and Lake Charles, La. All were taken to hospitals elsewhere.

National Guard troops assisted in the mandatory evacuation of millions of people from coastal Texas and Louisiana, in some cases delivering gasoline in tanker trucks to evacuees who
[/Q]

The rest is here...

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/09/25/a1.improvedprep.0925.p1.php?section=nation_world

Dreadsox said:
Just for clarifications sake....

Are you saying I am not consistent in my criticism of the political leaders?

I know what you're doing here. You see the barrage of hysterical leftists going on the attack post-Katrina, and you wish to forcefully counterbalance their inane rhetoric with right-wing inanity.

And with that, I know you're consistent on a long-term basis, so I'm not worried. I'm just tired of all the partisan bickering that goes on in here and in the nation at-large. It's like the entire nation has gone mad and reason has gone completely out the window.

I cannot blame Bush for the disasters that have befallen us, much in the same way that I cannot blame the state and local officials directly. But I do blame our Republican-controlled government for the shift in our nation over the last five years. Rather than uniting us, rather than reaching for the real problems that are affecting us, the GOP has chosen to divide and pander. And ignore. I cannot blame Bush for natural disasters, but I can blame him for the mess our nation is in. After all, years of Republican-controlled government have no Democrats to blame. Only themselves.

Melon

I don't disclose what my voting intentions are, so as to say, I'm not going to say who's side of the politic fence I'm on.... but....

you are one of my most favorite interference posters, melon.

Last edited:
ah, thanks, finance guy. I forgot the reason as to why I put those classified images of mayor quimby up, but now I remember - I saw this as a rather pointless thread myself.

But I guess we should hear it from the originator first.

PS: maybe, maybe it;s like one of those psych tests, where they show you a normal, yet very undescriptive picture of something, and then YOU have to come up with the reality behind it, write a story about it or something, you know?

Hmm, I wonder....

Last edited:
For Honor said:
PS: maybe, maybe it;s like one of those psych tests, where they show you a normal, yet very undescriptive picture of something, and then YOU have to come up with the reality behind it, write a story about it or something, you know?

maybe that's it. :wink:

melon said:

And with that, I know you're consistent on a long-term basis, so I'm not worried. I'm just tired of all the partisan bickering that goes on in here and in the nation at-large. It's like the entire nation has gone mad and reason has gone completely out the window.

Common Ground:rockon:

melon said:

I cannot blame Bush for the disasters that have befallen us, much in the same way that I cannot blame the state and local officials directly. But I do blame our Republican-controlled government for the shift in our nation over the last five years. Rather than uniting us, rather than reaching for the real problems that are affecting us, the GOP has chosen to divide and pander. And ignore. I cannot blame Bush for natural disasters, but I can blame him for the mess our nation is in. After all, years of Republican-controlled government have no Democrats to blame. Only themselves.

Melon

The "division in this country" will not end as long as we are pointing fingers at the "one who started it". Honest self assessment is needed, and it starts with the individual.

nbcrusader said:
The "division in this country" will not end as long as we are pointing fingers at the "one who started it".
Funnily enough I just finished saying pretty much the same thing (in somewhat less calm terms) in the Rita thread. Could we actually be 100% in agreement for a change?
:shh:

Of course, is there any easy way to evacuate millions of people in a couple of days? It's not something you can train for (well I guess you could do practice runs, but without being in the real situation it would be kinda hard) and so I have a hard time blaming any officials from either party at this point. Both the Dems and the GOP are doing this of course, but really the culprit is not any party or human.

Back
Top Bottom